Just back from Pearl 12/14 Any Questions?

wkelly5688

We are just back off the Pearl and would be happy to try and answer any questions for those nearing their sail date. We had a balcony cabin on deck 9. Shore excursions were Fins and Flippers in Roatan (excellent ), Lamania Myan ruins in Belize, and Dolphin Discovery in Cozumel (nearly a disaster). Ship didn't go to Stirrup Cay due to weather. I will post a review as soon as I can get it typed.

Bill

Yes I am going on the Pearl this Sunday and had a few questions.

1) What shows do they have?

2) What are the daily drink specials?

3) What kind of special activities do they have on board? I heard they have done a Texas Hold 'Em tournament in the past and I was hoping there would be one next week. Did they have one for you?

That's all I can remember for now, but I'll get back to you if I get more! Thanks and I look forward to reading your full review!

hi sounds like we are going on the exact same cruise in March.

did you do Lamanai through NCL?

do you do Fins n Flippers yourself?

any comments about either?

any general info about hte cruise would be great! food, staff, ports, activities, etc

thanks!

Hey Bill! We must have been on the Lamanai excursion together with Vel. I was the younger guy in the green polo with white stripes.

I can help answer some of these questions. First off, the Jean Ann Ryan shows are a bit rusty as this was the first on the ship for the new cast. Sea Legs was definitely better than South Beach Rave. The other shows are the Sharkbait comedy/juggling show - highly recommended - and the Second City improv shows, the better of which is usually the adult show in the Spinnaker Lounge towards the end of the cruise. The Liar's Club show with Sharkbait and the cruise director was pretty good also.

Suggestions - Check out Fusion Wave, the cover band that plays at the Spinnaker Lounge. They have quite a wide repertoire, and both the male and female vocalist are excellent. I was really impressed. Anyone who has the balls to sing a Journey song like Separate Ways (and VERY well, mind you), has my respect.

Have dinner at Mambo's one night, the Tex-Mex specialty restaurant. The cover is $10 per person, but your first margarita is on the house which makes the dining virtually free, and both the fajitas and ribs are great. The bar that straddles Mambo's and the Blue Lagoon is where the Spanish-style tapas are served.

Directly across from it is the Blue Lagoon, upstairs from the atrium and is one of the best kept secrets on the ship. Many people do not realize is open 24 hours a day, and is totally free. Take advantage of it for some pretty good comfort food. I particularly liked their fish and chips.

There are two main dining rooms on the ship - Indigo and Summer Palace, the latter of which requires you to wear resort casual at minimum for dinner nightly. You'd be surprised just how dressed up people will get in there. If you do not feel packing dressy clothes, Indigo has the exact same menu as Summer Palace, and the only requirement is that you can't wear shorts.

Of the drink specials, make sure you try the Mangopolitan, and the one that is served in the fishbowl glass. I can't remember the name of it off hand. If you want to get a good buzz, the Painkiller, Friday's special, got me pretty good.

On Thursday, there's a really interesting short film called "Destino" that plays in the art gallery area. It's an eight-minute animated film that was the brainchild of a collaboration between Walt Disney and Salvador Dali but was scrapped due to lack of funding during World War II. If you want to learn more about it, you can visit the Wiki. They also air it on the big screen in the atrium earlier in the day. Check the Freestyle Daily for it. Definitely something you can say many people haven't had the opportunity to see, and you'll absolutely see the influence of Dali in the work.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Destino

Enjoy yourself! The crew aboard this ship seems happier and friendlier than any other I've been on, including the Jewel, and they will go out of their way to make sure you're having a blast. I didn't want to leave.

Thanks for being willing to share your experience. We set sail in January, also on deck 9. Just a few questions:

1. How was the food in the two main dining rooms?

2. How did you like the costumer service, waitors, and stewards?

3. Did they offer any 2 for 1 early bird specials in specialty restaraunts?

4. Did they have the chocolate buffet?

5. How was embarkation and disembarkation (especially at the ports)?

6. What was your favorite port? Did you feel safe in Roatan?

Yes I am going on the Pearl this Sunday and had a few questions.

1) What shows do they have?

2) What are the daily drink specials?

3) What kind of special activities do they have on board? I heard they have done a Texas Hold 'Em tournament in the past and I was hoping there would be one next week. Did they have one for you?

That's all I can remember for now, but I'll get back to you if I get more! Thanks and I look forward to reading your full review!

Shows - Sharkbait (comedy/jugglers- very good). David Naster - comedian. Jean Ann Ryan - talent. Second City - comedy- very good.

Drink Specials - too many to list - Drink of the day, Fruit Smoothie of the day, Coffee of the day, Beer of the day, poolside specials, Bloody Mary Breakfast club everyday ($4.25), Cigars under the stars.

I think they had two Texas Holdem tournaments, two slot tournaments, bingo, art auctions, shopping presentations, various classes, and a lot more.

Hope this helps.

Bill

Hi! I'm glad you enjoyed your recent trip. How did you like your room? Any tips on choosing a cabin? We plan on getting a balcony room on the 9th or 10th floor.

Also, what was your favorite feature/ activity on the Pearl? Thanks!

Beth

The balcony room was excellent. Sitting in your NCL robe on your balcony, having room service breakfast while pulling into port doesn't get any better. The cabin was surprisingly roomy with more storage than we could use. If I booked again, I would go with the 9th floor, port side, around mid ship which is where 9562 is located. You are central to most everything and if/when the ship starts rocking, you won't feel it near as much as forward or aft. Bathroom was a pleasant surprise also.

Bill

Thanks for being willing to share your experience. We set sail in January, also on deck 9. Just a few questions:

1. How was the food in the two main dining rooms?

2. How did you like the costumer service, waitors, and stewards?

3. Did they offer any 2 for 1 early bird specials in specialty restaraunts?

4. Did they have the chocolate buffet?

5. How was embarkation and disembarkation (especially at the ports)?

6. What was your favorite port? Did you feel safe in Roatan?

Food - never made it to Summer Palace - didn't care for the decor. Ate three times at Indigo and enjoyed it each time, although food is subjective.

Service was very good everywhere we went although Le Bestro and Mambo's stand out. Cagney's service was OK but nothing special and I think it was just our waiter. For instance, I ordered surf and turf and the table beside us did also. While I was struggling to get the lobster meat out of the tail, they brought the food to our neighbors, set it down and immediately removed the meat from the shell in one whole piece for the diner.

No two for one specials the entire cruise.

Chocolate buffet Friday night but it was not advertised. I heard about it second hand and had to ask the staff when and where.

Embark and disembark at all ports was very smooth. 10 minutes at the most.

My favorite ports were Roatan and Cozumel. We did Fins n Flippers resort at Roatan and it was one of the highlights. Strongly recommend it. Great value for the money.

Hope this helps.

Bill

i have a question on the specialty drinks. we have never sailed on NCL before and we keep hearing that they try and nickel and dime you for everything on board.

we have heard that if you order a drink and dont specify just a regular plastic cup you will get one in a $10 special cup.

is this true?

thanks! :)

This question is for wkelly5688 if you don't mind me asking did you stay in room 9562? If so, is it in a great location as far as not being loud with sound we have never been on the Pearl so I have no idea whats around there, our PCC recommended room 9564 so thats what room we have, she said it was a great choice as far as room choice. Thanks for any help.

We had a terrific cruise. We met some great people and had a wonderful time.

We didn't get to Indigos but we ate at the Blue Lagoon and it was great comfort food. If you like meatloaf they have a great one covered in mushroom sauce. We had the fish and chips(great), chicken wings(alright), ham and cheese ruben grilled(great), chef's salad(great), vegetable lasange(great).

Summer palace was beautiful one day we had breakfast it was awesome and the service was great. One day we had lunch and again service great and food great. One side note if you are in a wheelchair or need to take the elevator for any reason to get to this resturant there is a specific elevator to take. From the 10th deck we would take the elevator aft to the 7th deck and then it would specify which elevator to take to the 6th deck for the access to summer palace. If you can do the stairs the access is from the 7th deck aft. (I believe it is aft). Also this resturant is never full there is lots of tables.

Cagney's is worth every penny of the service charge. The service is awesome the food is even better. My DH had the appetizer that was portebello mushroom filled with blue crab meat he was in heaven. His steak was a 10oz filet migion it cut like butter. I had the slow roasted prime rib all I can say is WOW! By far the best meal we had on the ship.

Garden Buffet was crowed the first few days so we avoided it. I would go down myself get some food and bring it back to the room. If you ask they will give you covers for you plate to keep your food warm to get back to you room. But I guess you have to have the right size plate so ask before you get your food. The food was great. Lots of variety I found, but everyone has their opinion. But I didn't have to cook it or clean up the dishes so I was happy. The desserts were portioned just right for us. Not too big and enough to get a taste. And fruit was always available. Also I heard from other passengers that if you want boiled eggs or tomato juice just ask them and they are sort of hidden underneath the serving areas behind the counter. They will be happy to get them for you. I found they controlled the buffet area very well, there was always staff there to direct you or find you a table if you were having trouble getting one. This is very helpful to disabled people. Also they have a crepe station at the buffet I don't know what time but we went about 8:00pm on two occassion and it was there. They were wonderful.

On deck 12 they have breakfast, lunch, and I think dinner out at the poolside. And I saw them spark up a barbecue once or twice but we were not up there very much so maybe they did that every night. It is the same food as the buffet but much less crowded. So we got a couple of our meals there instead.

The staff I found worked their butts off. Everyone of them were very good at what they do. Our room stewarts were terrific. Even the poor girls that stood at the Garden cafe and sprayed your hands before you went in had a happy disposition. I did not see one cranky staff member.

I will post more about our cruise later. Now I have a mountain of laundry to do before I go back to work(reality) tommorow. So if you have any questions so far I will be happy to answer them.

We didn't go to very many shows just a couple they were not so hot for us. But we are not into stuff like that so I am sure for people who like shows they will enjoy it. :)

We will be on the pearl in March and your review makes me look forward to my first cruise so much.

As far as questions,

1. I see there is a walking area around the outside of deck 7. Is this outside like a picture I saw indicated, or is it inside. Is there anywhere to sit down along that walking area, or is it for walkers/ runners only?

2. Do people with staterooms with decks get usage of NCL bathrobes for free?

3. Free places to eat include room service, the two main dining rooms, blue lagoon on deck 8 and buffet up on deck 12. Is there another free buffet outside on deck 12? Is there another free place to eat around the pool? Anywhere else?

4. Did you have to arrive very early to get a decent seat at the theater for the big shows like sharkbait?

5. Do most people eat with just their own group at the restaurants, or do most share tables like on a traditional cruise?

6. Is there a limit on meals, or can someone have a meal in the main dining hall, and than grab something off the buffet soon afterwards.

7 were all public areas of the ship open at night, or where some places off limits after dark - was it well lit?

8. Were there long llnes for things like the Wiii games, climbing wall, etc.?

9. Is there a public observation area open to everyone to see the front part of the ship ?

10, As you cruise along, do you ever see islands, etc. between ports, or is it just water you view.

We are just back off the Pearl and would be happy to try and answer any questions for those nearing their sail date. We had a balcony cabin on deck 9. Shore excursions were Fins and Flippers in Roatan (excellent ), Lamania Myan ruins in Belize, and Dolphin Discovery in Cozumel (nearly a disaster). Ship didn't go to Stirrup Cay due to weather. I will post a review as soon as I can get it typed.

Bill

Hi-

We are leaving on the 28th .Kids wanna do Dolphins in Cozumel. What happened?

Thnaks

Ketzela

We will be on the pearl in March and your review makes me look forward to my first cruise so much.

As far as questions,

1. I see there is a walking area around the outside of deck 7. Is this outside like a picture I saw indicated, or is it inside. Is there anywhere to sit down along that walking area, or is it for walkers/ runners only?

Yes there are places to sit down. There are lounge chairs all around the promenade which is the deck you are referring to.

We had a balcony room and yes we had two robes hanging in our closet when we went to our room. And yes I used my all the time. Nothing like wearing you robe and watching as you pull into port. Now I miss my bathrobe:(

3. Free places to eat include room service, the two main dining rooms, blue lagoon on deck 8 and buffet up on deck 12. Is there another free buffet outside on deck 12? Is there another free place to eat around the pool? Anywhere else?

The spot on deck 12 to eat had a sample of what the garden buffet had. I believe I saw snacks in the library or the card room also just off the pool deck.

4. Did you have to arrive very early to get a decent seat at the theater for the big shows like sharkbait?

Yes arrive early for shows to get your seat. But I noticed quite a few people coming in after the show started. That was annoying because they would have to get to their seats by getting everyone in the row to stand up. That is one of the reasons we didn't go to shows.

5. Do most people eat with just their own group at the restaurants, or do most share tables like on a traditional cruise?

No tablemates on this cruise. This is the beauty of Freestyle cruising. Eat when you want, with whom you want, and what you want.

6. Is there a limit on meals, or can someone have a meal in the main dining hall, and than grab something off the buffet soon afterwards.

You can eat as many meals as your body lets you. Or in some cases your clothes let you. Wear something with elastic waist and then you have no problems;)

7 were all public areas of the ship open at night, or where some places off limits after dark - was it well lit?

I didn't notice anything off limits except for when they had the jewels showcased in the crystal atrium then you could not go out the main doors to the promenade but other entrances were open.

Sorry didn't notice

9. Is there a public observation area open to everyone to see the front part of the ship ?

Yes there is. But the best view is from the spa. I really recommend spending the $75.00pp for the week to use the spa it was awesome and the view was great. They also offer tea and fresh fruit in the spa

10, As you cruise along, do you ever see islands, etc. between ports, or is it just water you view.

Oh yes we saw all sorts of little islands throughout the cruise also you will see other cruise ships etc. Whatever is generally big enough for you to see you will see. I spent alot of time looking at the ocean in hopes to catch a view of some aqautic animal but no such luck.

If you are anything like me you will enjoy your cruise very much. It is what you make of it. The only thing that can upset people is that NCL does try to "nickel and dime" you but you only have to buy what they want if you choose to they don't harrass you. I purchased 2 cans of coke that I had a craving for that cost me $4.03. I also purchased the NCL mugs that cost $13.00 for two. I put the coke in the mug with the ice that is always available from your room stewart and was a happy camper. They also sell soda cards I don't know much about that but someone else on this board will.

Karen.. I can try to answer some of your questions..

As far as questions,

This deck is not a "walking or jogging" deck. This is a public area meant for casual walking and sitting to enjoy the views. They do have a walking and jogging track which I believe is on deck 13 or deck 12.

I believe the bathrobes are automatically in staterooms that are balcony level or above. In other staterooms you can ask for a bathrobe and I do believe it is free to use, but it is not the same as the ones in the balcony rooms or above.

There is, by the pool, a "buffet" area where you can get burgers, hotdogs, etc, when they are open for service.

Also, towards the back of the buffet there is an area aft of the ship to sit and eat your food you get from the buffet. I know it is there, but to be honest we never made it back there so I am not for sure if food is actually served there or you just take your food from the buffet back to that area.

And I believe the tapas that is served at the bar that is inbetween the Tex-Mex and Blue Lagoon is free, but I have been told they expect you to order a drink or something like that. We never used that bar, so honestly I can't tell you if that is true about what they expect.

We are not "going to see the shows" kind of people so I'm sorry I can't help you on this one.

The vast majority of people will eat with their own group. To be honest, it wasn't until we got back from our last cruise, which was on the Pearl last Oct and I was here on the boards that I even knew they ever sat folks with people they didn't know.

As long as the restaurants are open, you can go in and eat as many times as you want at any of the free restaurants. You literally could walk out of one and into the next one with no trouble at all.

I can only tell you that every place we ever tried to go to after dark was open. I'm not saying there aren't places that they don't close, but just saying you would probably have to be looking for them.

We never saw long lines for the Wii which is amazing because there is just the only one for public use that I know of and it is there in the main lobby. For bowling we never had to wait one minute and if you bowl while in port, it is half price/two bowl for the price of one. That was a lot of fun.

Yes, there is a lounge on the front of the ship where they have the bingo that you can see all the way down the front of the ship. It is a very nice lounge.

Depending on your itinenary of course, but yes you may very well see other spots of land other than just the port or country you are heading to. I am pretty sure on the Pearls current itinenary we sailed past and very close to P.R.

Hope these help with some of your questions. 8-)

Oh yes we saw all sorts of little islands throughout the cruise also you will see other cruise ships etc. Whatever is generally big enough for you to see you will see. I spent alot of time looking at the ocean in hopes to catch a view of some aqautic animal but no such luck.

If you are anything like me you will enjoy your cruise very much. It is what you make of it. The only thing that can upset people is that NCL does try to "nickel and dime" you but you only have to buy what they want if you choose to they don't harrass you. I purchased 2 cans of coke that I had a craving for that cost me $4.03. I also purchased the NCL mugs that cost $13.00 for two. I put the coke in the mug with the ice that is always available from your room stewart and was a happy camper. They also sell soda cards I don't know much about that but someone else on this board will.

I'm just curious... and I swear not trying to start a big debate.. but I always read of NCL trying to "nickel and dime" you to death. I know that on Disney you get soda's included with the cost of your cruise, but to my knowledge they are the only main stream cruise line that does that. Other than that, what does NCL charge you for that every other main stream cruise line does not?

Terry what i have*heard* (note only heard!) that if you try and buy a drink at the bar they will automatically give it to you in a $10 speciality logo glass instead of a regular plastic cup. i know on RCCL they would ask you which you like.

i read someone's review that it was a hassle to get a drink in a regular glass but that was just one person's review. the "nickel and dime" thing seems to be farely widespread.

As far as questions,

Hi Karen

It's Beck from the roll call board.

Thanks for asking all the good questions! We can learn a lot.:rolleyes:

i have a question on the specialty drinks. we have never sailed on NCL before and we keep hearing that they try and nickel and dime you for everything on board.

we have heard that if you order a drink and dont specify just a regular plastic cup you will get one in a $10 special cup.

is this true?

thanks! :)

Yes, they do nickel and dime and dollar you. Tthat is why the initial cruise price is generally cheaper than some of the competitors. You get what you pay for and it all probably comes out about the same in the end.

The drink of the day is $7.95 in a souvenir glass. I hear you can get a couple bucks knocked off if you get it in a plain glass but we only did this drink once so I don't know for sure.

Bill

This question is for wkelly5688 if you don't mind me asking did you stay in room 9562? If so, is it in a great location as far as not being loud with sound we have never been on the Pearl so I have no idea whats around there, our PCC recommended room 9564 so thats what room we have, she said it was a great choice as far as room choice. Thanks for any help.

9562 is very quiet. I commented to my wife that I was amazed that we had so little noise. You would think you would hear a drunk singing in the hall at 2am sometime during the 7 days but not a peep. The cabins are very well constructed with heavy solid doors. Noise was not a problem at all.

Bill

As far as questions,

Seats for shows - We caught a show 6 of the 7 nights. I generally got there about 15 minutes before showtime and had a good choice of seats.

Bill

Archived