Sort of New to Cunard

celticheart47

The last time I was on a Cunard ship was in 1956 on the Ascania (Which I think was scrapped either that year or the following year. If anyone has info on the Ascania I would love to hear about it.). Mom and I are thinking about a transatlantic trip this summer and I was wondering about the real difference in the class of cabins. What is the true differenc between Britannia and Princess classes.We just want to get to Britian so we are thinking the Britiania class accommodations. We are doing an expensive cruise back from Britian so we are looking for the best transport at the least cost.We could do the Princess level but need to know what is the real advantages of doing that. Any input would be greatly appreciated. (Yes I know we could fly one way but one of us has altitude sickness, vertigo, and respitory problems so flying isn't our best option.

Welcome BACK to Cunard!!! I can't answer your question about the differences in Britannia and Princess Grill. All of my experiences have been in Britannia and I have been extremely happy. I would like to suggest that you read this review of a transatlantic crossing in Britannia. I'm sure others will be happy to help you with your original question. Good luck in making your decision.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=514324

Beth

We just want to get to Britian so we are thinking the Britiania class accommodations. We are doing an expensive cruise back from Britian so we are looking for the best transport at the least cost.

Don't worry, from what you wrote, I'm sure you'll be happy with Britannia Accomodation. I've done a B2B Transatlantic in an inside cabin and was delighted with my experience. You can read my review on the Member Review Board (August 2008).

Britannia is not like the 3rd Class in the old days. You will have access everywhere except the 2 Restaurants, 1 lounge and one portion of deck that are reserved to Grill Guests. The food is also excellent.

One of the main difference is the dinner setup. Princess Grill Guests have their own open seating restaurant and can request off-the-menu items while Britannia Guests have to choose main seating (6.00 if I remember well) or late seating (8.30 pm) and don't have many off-the-menu options. Even in Britannia, I could always order steamed veggies with my dinner, I've seen a woman having a plate of fresh berries instead of dessert every night and I think you can also request steak (none of those are listed on the menu but are available on request).

And, if someone can't find anything they like from the menu, they are definitely picky eaters because they had a good selection and everything I had was very good to excellent (just once did I have to send back a plate - the waiter didn't ask how I wanted my tuna and it was way overcooked so I requested another one, medium-rare, and it was ready in less than 5 minutes).

Hi, welcome back to Cunard. I only cruise Brittania and I am extremely pleased with the level of service and standard of food. OK, there are some selection I don't like, but that is the same for everyone, you can't please all the people all the time. If you choose Brittania and decide on a balcony cabin, choose a cabin on deck 4 or 5, sheltered balcony, they afford shelter from the Atlantics worst while allowing you to look outside. Enjoy yourself.

Perhaps because Cunard is so associated with tradition and history, some people have the idea that passengers in the Britannia category accommodations are second-class citizens living in spartan dormitories and dining on mush at long tables deep below the waterline. They envision snarling stewards with long poles keeping these downtrodden masses from getting through the metal gates and disturbing the aristocracy in the elegant smoking lounge.

The truth is that for all practical purposes, QM2 is really a one class ship. The vast majority of the passengers dine in the Britannia Restaurant and are in no way treated as inferiors. The Britannia is a spectacular room, much more interesting than the two small grills. In addition, a Britannia passenger can make use of all of the public rooms and facilities that one would want to use.

The only areas that are reserved for Grill guests are a small rather unimpressive lounge and a small open deck area in the stern. This is a very, very small percentage of the total public area. Moreover, other ships have similar arrangements (e.g., the Villas on the newer NCL ships).

In essence, the QM2 experience is geared toward Britannia passengers. The Grill passengers pay extra and receive some additional menu choices beyond those offered in Britannia and a somewhat larger stateroom or suite.

Archived