Dinner dress code- or lack of it??

CPHS

In that case you need to go back reading comprehensive classes. I'd rather spend my time with the Clampett's than, well, just about anyone on this board. They would have humor, humilty and a love of life in general.

Glad you're making all the money. Good for you. Doesn't do squat for your character though.

BTW i could careless what u think or do. each to his/her own choice. Mayne when u get old enough you will live to live life and not judge it.

I will let u know sir that your reply is less then a classy reply! BTW i'm old enough to be your father

Righhhhhhhht.... ;)

. Too bad their are many snob replys here,

Mine was not one of them

BTW i probably make more in 1 year then u do in 10!

Sure you do......

Like i said their is no FORMAL nights on a any Carnival Cruises anymore. They are called Elegant nights. Look it up on the carnival site,

Who has disputed this with you? Are you inventing arguments now?

I don"t judge people by the way they look or how much money they have. SNOBS! do and that is a PLAIN and SImple Fact!

If I sat at your dinner table in a Speedo and a smile you'd backpedal on that claim faster than a 2 bit politician.

Are you clean? Are your clothes clean? Are they in good repair? We do not live in a 'one size fits all' society. The Menonnites idea of dressing up may not be up to your standards. Too bad. They cruise too. Guess what? You probably don't meet their standards, but they would NEVER say a cross word about it.

:eek:I grew up on the farm and moved to the city and live in a wonderful house with a wonderful job to pay for this life style I choose. To see me by day I dress as an Upper Middle Class gentleman. BUT once I'm home and off work my drudge wear comes out. You can never judge a person from what he looks like. I have Tatts Several pericings and make 6 figures SO DONT JUDGE THE BOOK BY ITS COVER:eek:

This is just ME talking, but I never judge anyone by their appearances. Some of the most intelligent, caring people I know are people who are 'different than the norm' when it comes to their outer appearance. ;)

However showing up to a sit down dinner barefoot, in a swimsuit, or with your body hair hanging out everywhere is definitely showing lack of class and style. No one with an iota of class shows up in public for dinner of any sort looking like that. It is offensive and unsanitary. Jeans, shorts, and ball caps don't fall in to that category no matter how you slice it. Do I agree with it? Not so much, but hey.... not my call to make. That's Carnival's.

I highly doubt I'd see you sitting at your table in no shoes and a pitted out t-shirt, right? :D

Someone upthread said:

But it is a collapse of the traditional, elegant evening, that most of us enjoy.

Yes. This. Just because people enjoy a formal night and getting all dressed up doesn't make them snobs or uppity, or "toppers".

People are in general just uncouth. Yucky sweats with holes in them at Midnight Mass on Christmas Eve. No one knowing to take off the stupid ball caps when you're inside. Have you tried getting off an elevator lately? No one's been taught to let people get OFF before you try to get ON.

Manners and class have nothing to do with wealth. There are appropriate clothes for various venues. I'm sitting here in my house in sweats. But I"m not going to wear them to church, or to work, or to a wedding, or dinner at a sit down restaurant. Because it's not appropriate, and I would feel out of place and uncomfortable.

Righhhhhhhht.... ;)

Mine was not one of them

Sure you do......

Who has disputed this with you? Are you inventing arguments now?

If I sat at your dinner table in a Speedo and a smile you'd backpedal on that claim faster than a 2 bit politician.

If i enjoyed your company i would even buy u a Beer. I could careless what a person wears, BY the sounds of it unfortunately u do.

You are very offensive with your continual reference of the Clampetts and hillbillies. Are you so narrow minded and superior that you feel the need to repeatedly denigrate some of the poorest yet some of the most hard-working people in our nation? Aren't you lucky that you are from Nu Joizey rather than having been born in the mountains and hills of Appalachian poor regions, the Ozarks or somewhere else where the lack of funds, education, and opportunity are obstacles to to becoming a (questionable) 'high class' person such as yourself.

Call the slobs for what they are, slobs, but enough already of the hillbilly reference.

Oh, for crying out loud!

ARe you aware that the Clampetts are fictitious characters; that they never existed; that they were played by actors?

Are you aware that "hillbillies" doesn't refer to people from any particular area of our country ---- or of any particular area in the world? Are you aware that you don't have to be poor and uneducated to be a hillbilly?

Get a grip. If you are displeased with my posts, hit the ignore button.

FYI: I was born in Texas, daughter of Okies, raised in the hills of Southern Oregon. Believe it or not, my Mama taught me manners and social skills.

BTW i could careless what u think or do. each to his/her own choice. Mayne when u get old enough you will live to live life and not judge it.

Been living life now for quite some time now, thanks for your concern. I'm not the one being judgemental here, Reading Comprehension 101, surely is offered in your neck of the woods.

Another point, after some time is this effed up world, you do get to be judgemental. How you form and use that is up to you. I look at the person - not their color, religion, clothes, accent, economic status, and on and on and on. I would still have a blast with the Clampetts.

Thank you. Very nicely expressed. While the so-call 'back-wood' folk don't meet this high standard of "G'ma's" dress-code (and by the way, just how do those in NJ dress? Still hanging with the big hair and supersized earrings, and let's not forget the gum smacking?), you will never meet a more honest, generous, down to earth group of people. People whose door is always open, always can fit one more at the table, and will offer up help at the drop of a hat. G'ma should be so lucky to have crossed paths with these people. I KNOW I'd have a better time with the Clampett's than I would with G'ma!!

Frankly, I have to tell you, the Clampetts are fictitious characters and were made up by some writer in Hollywood. So, you can't hang with them.

Hillbillies are everywhere and in every socio-economic level....and social strata. Some can function well socially, some are clueless.

Texas born to Okie parents, raised in the mountains of Southern Oregon...and guess what? My mama taught me manners, appropriate behavior, dress and how to behave in public.

It's always a good idea to not make the post personal by bashing another poster with whom you may not agree. It's against the guidelines.

Please put me on your ignore list.........:rolleyes:

I highly doubt I'd see you sitting at your table in no shoes and a pitted out t-shirt, right? :D

I hope I am the person sitting with you but sorry my t-shrits are not pitted but I can make them that way to prove a point :cool:

Frankly' date=' I have to tell you, the Clampetts are fictitious characters and were made up by some writer in Hollywood. So, you can't hang with them.

Hillbillies are everywhere and in every socio-economic level....and social strata. Some can function well socially, some are clueless.

Texas born to Okie parents, raised in the mountains of Southern Oregon...and guess what? My mama taught me manners, appropriate behavior, dress and how to behave in public.

It's always a good idea to not make the post personal by bashing another poster with whom you may not agree. It's against the guidelines.

Please put me on your ignore list.........:rolleyes:[/quote']

You are the one painting with a very broad brush....

:eek:I grew up on the farm and moved to the city and live in a wonderful house with a wonderful job to pay for this life style I choose. To see me by day I dress as an Upper Middle Class gentleman. BUT once I'm home and off work my drudge wear comes out. You can never judge a person from what he looks like. I have Tatts Several pericings and make 6 figures SO DONT JUDGE THE BOOK BY ITS COVER:eek:

LOL Got that right.. Come with us on our next cruise.. we can compare tats and piercings... lmao

Man, what a thread!!

First let me say as a much younger person I thought Elli May (Donna Douglas) was hot.

As far as the dress code goes, I think the dress code should be men have to wear slacks, collared shirts and shoes at the very least.

However, I think females should wear their bikinis or something similar, even night gowns would be OK with me. I think this would make my eventing meal fun and intereting. :eek::D

I hope I am the person sitting with you but sorry my t-shrits are not pitted but I can make them that way to prove a point :cool:

Would you be offended if I gave you a hair net to contain that nastiness? :D

I think I said in a previous post that jeans and t-shirts are not my choice of dress for dinner but it doesn't bother me in the least to see it. I'd be happy to share dinner with you as long as you have good manners and can carry decent conversation. Your jeans reflect nothing about character, unless you flagrantly disregard the rules of "elegant night" and wear them on that night. Nothing wrong with the jeans per say, but the disregard for the requested dress for the evening is something I would raise an eyebrow about! :D

What is reflective of class and tact is when people are nasty enough to show up for dinner in public barefoot. ;)

Ya know, I don't care how some dress either, but that is small potatoes compared to some of the loud obnoxious vulgar language that some of the better dressed folks use.

Jeans (as long as they are not full of holes and rips), I would prefer collared shirts for the men (and I'm a man) but clean t shirts would be barely acceptable. NO flip flops. No shorts. and no Ball Caps. You can do without the darn cap for a couple of hours (I should know as I wear one all the time except for dinner).

Now here's where I'm gona tick a few prople off. If one wishes a better dress code, then there are a couple of things one must do.

A. Write the cruise lines and complain. Don't complain to the Matre'd as he is just following corporate rules.

B. Book a different cruise line that has higher standards like Cunard or Princess.

C. Stay home.

Later

Jim

Believe it or not' date=' my Mama taught me manners and social skills.[/quote']

No, quite honestly, I don't believe it. If she did, you could maybe do with relearning some of those skills instead of insulting people left right and center and then saying "hit the ignore button if you don't like me"

Sheesh.

guess what? My mama taught me manners' date=' appropriate behavior, dress and how to behave in public.

Please put me on your ignore list.........:rolleyes:[/quote']

Ever heard of the expressions "Do as I say not do as I do"???? or "People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones" ??

This is just ME talking, but I never judge anyone by their appearances. Some of the most intelligent, caring people I know are people who are 'different than the norm' when it comes to their outer appearance. ;)

However showing up to a sit down dinner barefoot, in a swimsuit, or with your body hair hanging out everywhere is definitely showing lack of class and style. No one with an iota of class shows up in public for dinner of any sort looking like that. It is offensive and unsanitary. Jeans, shorts, and ball caps don't fall in to that category no matter how you slice it. Do I agree with it? Not so much, but hey.... not my call to make. That's Carnival's.

Ya know, I don't care how some dress either, but that is small potatoes compared to some of the loud obnoxious vulgar language that some of the better dressed folks use.

Jeans (as long as they are not full of holes and rips), I would prefer collared shirts for the men (and I'm a man) but clean t shirts would be barely acceptable. NO flip flops. No shorts. and no Ball Caps. You can do without the darn cap for a couple of hours (I should know as I wear one all the time except for dinner).

Now here's where I'm gona tick a few prople off. If one wishes a better dress code, then there are a couple of things one must do.

A. Write the cruise lines and complain. Don't complain to the Matre'd as he is just following corporate rules.

B. Book a different cruise line that has higher standards like Cunard or Princess.

C. Stay home.

Later

Jim

I agree with you Jim on everything but the flip-flops as long as one has some type of foot wear on it should be fine

I'm really not sure why some get all in a uproar about what people are wearing to dinner in the dining room! I don't think there is anything wrong with jeans/nice shirts on any of the nights exept for the captain's dinner. As long as people are clean and respectable, who really cares?? Besides, clothes don't "make" a person! It seems to me that some seem to be more worried about what others are doing and should worry about themselves or they just aren't happy unless they are complaining about something.

Archived