Dinner dress code- or lack of it??

CPHS

I am just back from the 12-13 sailing on the Ecstasy. This was my 4th Carnival cruise, all on Ecstacy, but my my overall 9th cruise. I was very surprised to see the lack of dress code in the dining room. I saw flip flops, tee shirts and probably the worst was ball caps being worn every night, even formal night. I asked my head waiter why this was being allowed and he stated that they dont want to upset anyone by telling them they can't dine wearing these things. I watched a lady walk into the dining room on our last night at sea in what I would call a swim suit cover up top, baggy cargo shorts and flip flops, the dining room managers were standing right up front hoping for gratuity envelopes, and I watched as they saw here they turned the other way to avoid her but let her walk right in a sit down.

Is this a Texas thing or is this happenning throughout Carnival??

We are planning another crusie and if its just a Texas thing we may try another Carnival cruise of of Florida.

We sailed on Voyager last March and I never noiced this issue at all, in fact I witnessed them turning some folks away that were not dressed properly.

I am not someone who demands coat and ties but when I sit down for dinner I know enough to take off my ball cap!!

I agree with you. I was on the Pride earlier this month & was apalled at the way people dressed for dinner. I live in LA & have never seen people here dress so poorly (although I don't go to fast food or coffee shops). The worst attire I have seen was a BATHROBE on the Paradise last Feb.

I was on Princess in October & it was entirely different. I didn't notice anyone dressed inappropriately.

Is this really a big deal? Granted I would never dress inapproriately but why care what someone else wears. From what I have read it is only a short time getting back in from some of the ports before dinner! What if there was some trouble and someone doesn't have time to go and change before dinner. What should they do skip dinner? If they are clean, what does it matter what they wear?

I think that relaxing the dress code was a nice idea. However, I do believe that there is a difference between the Lido Buffet line and the Dining Room. I have in the past been so late getting back on board that we have skipped the dining room because there was not time to be cleaned up. (one reason we switched to late seating)

I think some people will bend the rules for themselves - those are the ones that were at the bare minimums for cruise casual before and now that we have gone to cruise casual - they are in fast food mode! I can't wait to see the difference for myself 01/01/09.

I do think this is the fault of the head MD - I mean if he is doing his job then no one would get away with it. Oh they might gripe and complain but - seriously...... This is when I do sometimes wonder why the tip is mandatory - all staff should uphold the rules - in other words do their jobs and not slack by turning away.

I will say that ball caps are not appropriate in the dining room. Hope no one has felt that my brother's top hat at the Captains Dinner was offensive!

We were on this sailing and I didn't notice anyone dressed especially shabby. Certainly not everyone was in a suit and tie, but no ball caps or t-shirts were in my line of vision. We had late seating, Windstar.

We had lovely tablemates and enjoyed visiting and getting to know them enough that I really can't recall even what they wore, much less anyone at other tables.

Regardless, this was a very nice cruise, great weather, great CD, nice little shows, good enough food... even the fog delay and missing our flight didn't put a damper on the cruise. We just extended our vacation by about 36 hours.

Happy cruising where ever you decide to sail from next!

I just got back from the 12/13 Glory cruise and saw the same things. I think almost anything goes on Carnival now. It doesn't bother me as I live on the beach and every restaurant on the island you can wear shorts and flip flops to dinner. If you want very casual dinning then Carnival is for you, if not try Princess they seem to be a little more elegant. I like them both but on Princess you would be out of place without dressing up some.

I am just back from the 12-13 sailing on the Ecstasy. This was my 4th Carnival cruise, all on Ecstacy, but my my overall 9th cruise. I was very surprised to see the lack of dress code in the dining room. I saw flip flops, tee shirts and probably the worst was ball caps being worn every night, even formal night. I asked my head waiter why this was being allowed and he stated that they dont want to upset anyone by telling them they can't dine wearing these things. I watched a lady walk into the dining room on our last night at sea in what I would call a swim suit cover up top, baggy cargo shorts and flip flops, the dining room managers were standing right up front hoping for gratuity envelopes, and I watched as they saw here they turned the other way to avoid her but let her walk right in a sit down.

Is this a Texas thing or is this happenning throughout Carnival??

We are planning another crusie and if its just a Texas thing we may try another Carnival cruise of of Florida.

We sailed on Voyager last March and I never noiced this issue at all, in fact I witnessed them turning some folks away that were not dressed properly.

I am not someone who demands coat and ties but when I sit down for dinner I know enough to take off my ball cap!!

I agree DW and I have seen some shabby dress on our last couple of cruises. For the most part it doesn't bother me, but once in a while there is a glaring example of poor taste. I wish people would follow the rules closer, but it won't stop me from going on Carnival. To do so would do nothing to remedy the problem. JMHO

I really dont care what people wear for dinner, as long as they are clean and have manners..

The one thing that did get me.. and the maitre'd saw it and did nothing was a young girl (20-ish) came in the dinning room barefoot.. yes - barefoot

GROSS!

I really dont care what people wear for dinner, as long as they are clean and have manners..

The one thing that did get me.. and the maitre'd saw it and did nothing was a young girl (20-ish) came in the dinning room barefoot.. yes - barefoot

GROSS!

I can almost deal with that. The pitted-out t-shirts on guys kill me. Seriously, nothing says dinner like a Marlboro t-shirt with the sleeves cut off.

GROSS!

eeeeewwwwww!!!

I can almost deal with that. The pitted-out t-shirts on guys kill me. Seriously, nothing says dinner like a Marlboro t-shirt with the sleeves cut off.

Again...EEEEEEWWWWWW!!!!

lol

omg .. i have not seen that look since 1987... and never on a cruise lol

:D

lol

omg .. i have not seen that look since 1987... and never on a cruise lol

:D

Oh, but I did on a cruise out of Jacksonville a couple of years ago. I thought they had stopped the Marlboro Miles promotions, so those t-shirts must have been "vintage".

Oh, but I did on a cruise out of Jacksonville a couple of years ago. I thought they had stopped the Marlboro Miles promotions, so those t-shirts must have been "vintage".

Lol

Was it cut off so you could see his belly button LMAO

Just got back from the Pride and I agree that things really kind of going the wrong way. Why do they even make rules if they are going to enforce them? Cut off sweats don't qualify as "dress" shorts. I saw someone without shoes also and to me, this is just sooooo wrong. I don't like the ball caps in the dining room either, but that is MY opinion. Oh well :o!!

Cheryl

It was on the Ecstasy where the woman (sorry I will not call her a lady) came to dinner on Formal Night in her swim suit, swim suit cover, flip flops, and plastic visor (straight from the pool). This was in September.

Since she had a Platinum card hanging around her neck...you know she knew better.

I don't care as much about what people wear as I am about WHY they wear it.

If I see some young man who has on pants with the waist to his knees, underwear showing...looking all ghetto just because he thinks he is being cool....then I don't have a problem.

However, another individual in the exact same outfit who is wearing it with the "attitude" that they are going to intimidate someone.... I have a HUGE problem with.

Even back to the ole "blue jeans" argument...years ago this was seen as a sign of disrespect and lack of culture. In today's society that is not necessarily the case. However when someone does "dress down" just to show that "they can" ... to me that is being disrespectful and as I view it as a demeaning action on their part.

I don't think as many folks were against blue jeans as they were against the way they knew things would go once blue jeans were officially "sanctioned". Once the door to that slippery slope was opened...then anything goes.

This is an area where Carnival earns the "WalMart" comments.

On the Fantasy 2 weeks ago, I was surprised to see so many on the Lido deck in bathrobes and flip flops in the windows on the sea buffet. One guy must have been nursing a heck of a hangover or something because he even had on the dark shades and was drinking coffee.

I know it is the buffet, but bath robes? Seriously? Why didn't they just order room service?

I am definitely one who loves the relaxed dress code, however, I do think it's nice to dress for dinner. I don't mean that men have to wear suits or women formals, but it doesn't seem like to much to ask to have people at least wear nice clothes to dinner. I think being somewhat dressed up does feel nice and makes the whole dinner experience better. Even though they lightened the dress code, there still is one, too bad Carnival isn't adhering to it.

Is this really a big deal? Granted I would never dress inapproriately but why care what someone else wears. From what I have read it is only a short time getting back in from some of the ports before dinner! What if there was some trouble and someone doesn't have time to go and change before dinner. What should they do skip dinner? If they are clean, what does it matter what they wear?

Thats why they have the Lido buffet open. Come on how hard is it to slip on a pair of clean pants and a clean shirt??? The guy I had the pleasure of looking at every night wore the nicest camo cap I have ever seen. I am only in my mid 40's and have 2 teen age kids but you can be asured my son knows you take off your cap when you come in doors other the gyms!! I have a couple of freinds who have never cruised Cranival because they have heard of these same issue. Sad thing is I had tried to convince them Carnival was great until this past cruise.

Just got off the Conquest on Sunday, and yes people are dressing poorly. On the second formal night, a lady walked past our table wearing holy jeans. I don't understand why they let her in. Also had a couple walk in at least 45 minutes late to dinner every night. I can't understand why people are so rude.

I have a couple of freinds who have never cruised Cranival because they have heard of these same issue. Sad thing is I had tried to convince them Carnival was great until this past cruise.

GEE how sad...Judging a whole cruise line because some Bozo wore a baseball cap in the dining room..:rolleyes:..

Boy I am glad you were not sitting at our table..We wore jeans...:p

Archived