Pride review 11-29 Nov 2008

woldsman

Review of the Pride in the Caribbean 11-29 Nov.

Approx 3 weeks have passed since we got back to the UK. I have finally found time to post our first Seabourn experience.

We flew into Miami on 10 November and stayed in Fort Lauderdale overnight. We arrived at the Everglades Port Terminal at 1.45pm. The embarkation was not the smooth and easy operation we had been lead to believe from fellow CC’s. In reality we were gathered in the holding area for 30 minutes and when approx 90 guests had gathered we were taken to the Pride. This resulted in what can only be called a minor stampede. After queuing in the Magellan lounge for almost 2 hours (the computers went down 3 times) we were finally processed and given directions to our suite, missing the champagne on arrival. Disembarkation was equally disorganised.

We then had to prepare for Muster at 4.15pm and eventually started to unpack at 5pm. We found the Sky Bar for sail away around 6pm but the weather was poor, windy and raining so after meeting Nelson we opted for a tour of the Pride to get familiarised with the layout. It was then we felt we were on holiday and the best was yet to come and how!

Our suite was excellent with lots of room for storage, good bathroom, large bed and seating area.

Our initial impression of the entertainment on board, from reading past reviews, was of a low-key type entertainment programme. Quite the reverse with Jan, David E, Adam and the resident orchestra and female singer along with Steve Heist, the pianist, entertaining us all regally and along with Liars Club and Trivia and putting comps it was excellent. I know we had Seabourn’s A Team for the first 11 days but Jan and David E departed at Barbados and the new CD, Nick Hale, worked very hard with the new ass CD (first Seabourn Cruise) and was well supported by the Six of Hearts all throughout the week.

We had been told that this cruise had an unprecedented number of UK and European sailors on board and in fact accounted for more than 50% of the published guest lists. Throughout both cruises friendliness and good humour were always prevalent and as usual lasting friendships were made.

The food on board was excellent; we did not experience a bad meal throughout the 18 days. We had the tasting menus at ‘2’, breakfast and buffet style lunch on Veranda, with more formal lunch in the Restaurant. Dinner was always a special occasion whether it was on a hosted table or just a table for two. It was a great way to meet fellow sailors and share stories whilst eating fine food. The Vintage Wine Package was excellent and good value for money with a good selection of both red and white wines (all to our liking). I must also say the Pride’s standard pour wines were also very good, with a large variety from Australia, New Zealand, France and California.

We had booked 5 tours, quite a mixed bag. The Baths at Virgin Gorda was enjoyable but you needed to be reasonably fit to scramble through the rock pools, good value. St Martin was disappointing. St Lucia, the coach part of the tour was a little too long and everyone would have liked more time on the catamaran back to the Pride. The schooner tour (Friendship Rose) was brilliant with the crew working tirelessly furling and unfurling the sails, offering an excellent lunch (cooked in a tiny galley), a good supply of drinks, cakes etc. The ½ day catamaran trip from Mayreau to Tobago Cays turned out to be one of the highlights for us. A beautiful boat with 14 lucky people who had the good fortune to snorkel to see turtles, squid, stingray and coral. Carol and I had a tiny island with sparkling white sand (paradise) to ourselves for an hour or so before other shipmates joined us. Then back to the Pride for the beach BBQ. This beach was made for a beach party. Back to the Pride and our last night. Boo Hoo!

I have saved the Seabourn’s jewel in the crown for last because there are not enough accolades one can say about the staff to do them justice. Starting with the Captain and officers right the way through to each department, watersports, tender crew, security, bar staff they were all turned out immaculately and such a happy crowd.

Lucca did a fine job in the Restaurant and I feel a lot of credit goes his way for training his staff to such a high level. The Executive Chef, Walter, was always high profile and on most evenings was visibly talking to guests both in the Restaurant and the Tasting evenings at ‘2’ listening to questions and making notes of suggestions. Our special thanks must be given to him and Lucca for their part in making Carol’s birthday so very special. Lucca arranged a pre dinner champagne and caviar party for friends whilst Walter organized a special menu culminating in his tableside preparation of ‘Strawberries Madagascar’. What a dessert!!

Mohammed, the Sommelier was always on hand to offer suggestions for wine pairings and along with his assistant Gareth worked in a truly professional manner. I won’t mention individual members of the staff as they were all really good and I am sure I would miss some people and that would be a disservice, although one person I must mention is Rosie, our superb stewardess, her quiet efficiency, radiant smile, lovely little notes left for us over the 18 days added to our already special holiday. A little star.

Finally a big thank you to Seabourn themselves for delivering to us a 6-star cruising experience for us as first time sailors. We have taken an open booking option, enough said.

Grannie you are absolutely correct. What an excellent photo of Gareth exactly how we remember him. Glad to hear that you enjoyed your river cruise ending in Budapest, we are spending the NewYear there. Best wishes for 2009.

Regards Woldsman

Thanks for your review, Woldsman! We are so looking forward to our first Seabourn cruise, although we have to wait til September for it! We also live in your neck of the woods - near Beverley.

A very happy 2009 to all CC'ers, especially those who contribute to the Seabourn section.

Happy cruising!!

Good to hear from you M .For he record we live 10 miles from Bev in a little village ,N Newbald if you have heard of it.I did live for several yrs in Molescroft .Where is your loation?.We are sailing on Legend hopefuuly in Nov doing the transatlantic crossing. Our first Seabourn adventure was really superb and Iknow you will enjoy your cruise. If you have any questions just post and Iwill try to answer them.Allthe best for 2009,regards Woldsman.

Archived