moving from oceaneers club to oceaneers lab

ethan08

Hi! We're going on our first DCL trip in May. My son turns 8 only 3 months afterwards! Of course his friend who will be with us will already be 8. Has anyone ever been able to get a 7 year old into Oceaneers Lab? I know they usually only do it if their birthday is within 30 days. Any advice would be helpful!!

Thank you!

Hi! We're going on our first DCL trip in May. My son turns 8 only 3 months afterwards! Of course his friend who will be with us will already be 8. Has anyone ever been able to get a 7 year old into Oceaneers Lab? I know they usually only do it if their birthday is within 30 days. Any advice would be helpful!!

Thank you!

When myself and my GF took my son and her daughter on the Wonder for a 4 day in Sept, I asked that question, to Disney,since they are about 15 months apart. The older child can go to the OC with out a problem. I would ask at the terminal about putting the younger in to the Lab. The counselors are there to register, and you can ask questions there.I would think and this is strictly a thought, that there would not be a problem. If I remember correctly, when my GF asked at the terminal, they said as long as she was comfortable, she could have stayed in the older club. Ill have to ask my GF later today.

No problem. Matter of fact I just asked my GF about what they told us. She said that our youngest could go to either, as long as she was comfortable in there. They could not check themselves out, but that was our choice.

my kids are older now so haven't used the clubs for the past few years... but when we did, they allowed older kids move down but strict about NOT about letting younger kids move up. Good luck.

On CCL it was the opposite..my daughter was 2-3 weeks short of 9 and they let her in the 9 y/o group but could not sign in/out herself. They would not allow older to younger group, the other parents were complaining.

They told us the same thing, when we called and talked to them on the phone. However when we got to the terminal, they told us she could move up to keep them together as long as she was comfortable. The decision to not let them sign themselves out was ours, since they dont know how to get around the ship as well as my GF and I, and would rather have them in a known location as opposed to wandering the ship looking for the room.And more importantly, keep them out of the gift shop.:)

I am guessing that the counselors have some leeway in accepting kids into certain areas, depending on the childs behavior at the time of being asked.

That's weird because they told me over the phone that the older child could move down (his friend) but the younger could not move up unless they turn the appropriate age within 30 days.

Thats probably why she turned 9 less in less then 30 days. Thanks for the info.

My youngest was 7 when we cruised. Her sister was 10. When I dropped her off at the club...she was so bored. I then went to the lab to drop off the 10 year old and the CM's asked where my younger dd was. I asked if she could come in there and they said "we will let her try and if she is comfortable and we feel she can handle it, she can stay". It was wonderful. If she would have been in the club, she would have hated it. There is a big difference between a 3 year old and a 7 year old.

I guess it all depends on who you talk too. Oh, and she was three months shy of turning 8.

Thank you!

Yes. My granddaughter was 7 last year and was very disappointed her first day. Had no interest in staying after an hour or so. She is in the gifted program at school so her Mom & Dad just went in and explained she was not at all challenged with the group her age dictated and they said "no problem, we'll move her!" They could not get her out of the other group -- she wanted to stay for meals and past the times my daughter wanted to be in her PJ's in her stateroom a couple nights. I'd just explain the situation to them.

• 2 weeks later...

We just returned from the Wonder over xmas with a 5 year old and almost 8 year old. They were happy to let the 8 year old go with the bigger kids, but I have to tell you that the Oceaneer club is WAY more fun than the lab. The lab has a big TV and lots of computers, but that seemed pretty boring to my daughter. The club had a bunch of stuff to climb on and pretend and play. In fact, even some of the programs for the 3-4 year old set would have been enjoyed by my kids (dance with Snow White, etc) and a lot of the older kids' activities are very passive. Just a thought...my kids really just wanted to be dropped off in the Club so they could run and play and pretend.

Archived