New to NCL have ???'s

cw2go

Hello to all,

I have sailed many times with Carnival and RCCL and we have now booked our first NCL cruise. We are very easy to please people and only pick our cruises based on itenerary and price firstly then the ship. So with that being said we have decided on the Pearl for Alaska in the end of July. We are married in our 40's and our son will be 14 yrs. So with the ships many perks I felt it would be the best pick for us.

Okay enough rambling here are my questions... how does freestyle dining work? I know basically a few of the resturants have a fee that is not a problem but how do I reserve them and when? (With RCCL we can book online 90 days prior.)

Are the specialty resturants hard to reserve or are they pretty open?

With the Alaska itenerary does that make a difference with the availability?

Are there menu's or listings in the staterooms? On the TV's?

What specialty resturant is highly recommened and where should I pass? I realize this is opinion based but often some places get a better reputation than others.

In the Bowling Alley, I know it is a bar type atmosphere is it appropriate for our son?

I am just trying to get ahead of the learning curve so I will not get frustrated while on board. We are not hard to please and may end up in the MDR often but to be honest on any of the cruises the Buffet's have not been our favorite. Thank you in advance for all your help...

Smiles and Happy Sailing,

Patty

First of all, welcome to NCL. Me personally I don't care who you sail with, a cruise to Alaska is an AMAZING adventure and I am sure you son will love it.

Hello to all,

I have sailed many times with Carnival and RCCL and we have now booked our first NCL cruise. We are very easy to please people and only pick our cruises based on itenerary and price firstly then the ship. So with that being said we have decided on the Pearl for Alaska in the end of July. We are married in our 40's and our son will be 14 yrs. So with the ships many perks I felt it would be the best pick for us.

Okay enough rambling here are my questions... how does freestyle dining work? I know basically a few of the resturants have a fee that is not a problem but how do I reserve them and when? (With RCCL we can book online 90 days prior.)

If you are in a suite you can book the specialty restaurants for the entire week through your concierge. If you are in a balcony stateroom you can book them up to 48 hours in advance and if you are in any other stateroom you can book them 24 hours in advance. You are not able to book them prior to being onboard.

Are the specialty resturants hard to reserve or are they pretty open?

Whey they first started it was almost impossible to get into one. Now, with little exception, you can walk right up and get a table or at least get one for sometime that night. Reservations are always best though.

With the Alaska itenerary does that make a difference with the availability?

We found no difference between Alaska, Mexican Riveria or the Caribbean in being able to get into any restaurant we wanted to.

Are there menu's or listings in the staterooms? On the TV's?

Yes, there is a TV channel that will go through the daily selections being offered in the main dining room for that day and will also go through what is offered in the specialty restaurants. The specialty restaurants do not change their menus during the week.

What specialty resturant is highly recommened and where should I pass? I realize this is opinion based but often some places get a better reputation than others.

You are right. It will all be based on everyones personal tastes. For us I can tell you Lotus Garden, Teppanyaki and Cagneys are not to be missed. Also the hot wings in Blue Lagoon are terrific. As funny as this might sound, room service has the best PB and J's I have ever had. Also my DDP and I have often commented that the buffet on the Pearl is one of the best we have ever had, land or sea. The food was good and the layout is the best we have ever had on any ship.

In the Bowling Alley, I know it is a bar type atmosphere is it appropriate for our son?

I never saw anything near the bowling lanes that I would not feel comfortable exposing my grand nephews and nieces to. It is so fun bowling at sea you have got to give them a try.

I am just trying to get ahead of the learning curve so I will not get frustrated while on board. We are not hard to please and may end up in the MDR often but to be honest on any of the cruises the Buffet's have not been our favorite. Thank you in advance for all your help...

Smiles and Happy Sailing,

Patty

Please remember to come back here and tell us all what you thought of your cruise. Any other questions just let us know. 8-)

Just completed my first NCL cruise, and all I can say is WOW. We are long time RCCL cruisers and were a bit scared to move out of our comfort zone.

Differences I noticed, the NCL attitude seemed to be low key, less photos, less drinks, less announcements. I did miss not having the same waiter each night.

Freestyle is perfect for a port intensive cruise.

NCL also has some nice touches, you can purchase a newspaper each day ( whole paper lazer printed) and disembarkment was a breeze.

Was on the Pearl in Alaska last July. What a cruise! Great choice of ship.

Glaciar day is the best. Wake up early and head to the top of the ship.

Bowling alley becomes a bar at night and your son won't be allowed in. During the day, families hang out there.

Enjoy!

I thank you for answering all my questions and now yes I did think of a few more...

Are there age requirements for the resturants? (My son is not able to go with us on RCCL this spring.)

Are there different breakfast and lunch hours? Are all resturants open for both?

Formal nights... we do not like them, we have always complied but how are they in the MDR on NCL? I know many enjoy the expierience but for us it was an hour of getting dressed, go eat, then back to the stateroom to change. Not really an expierience for us, just annoying especially with having to pack it all. Alaska is not a light pack and trying to fit within all the airline requirements... uggg!!!

As for the chic-wings I have read through this board many times about how yummy they are. I do find it funny of all the choices, they are so popular but then again my DH will be thrilled. My goodness if they serve rotel cheese dip I will never get him off the boat...LOL!!!:D Like I said we are pretty easy to please.

Smiles,

Patty

CW - welcome to NCL! NCL has what is called "dress up or not" nights with one dining room designated for those who decided to dress up. Dressing up is optional and one of the best things about freestyle.

As far as I know, there are no age requirements for the restaurants. However, some of the specialty restaurants offer a more relaxed, slow-paced dining experience and only you know if your child would enjoy sitting in a restaurant for an extended dining experience.

The dress up dining rooms only restrict those with jeans. That's all.

Dirty little secret is they won't stop you from entering if you are wearing jeans.

You can eat anywhere on NCL any night without a jacket and tie, which is one of the biggest reasons I love NCL.

I don't like others to tell me how to dress on my vacation.

There is no age restriction to eat anywhere.

Was on the Pearl in Alaska last July. What a cruise! Great choice of ship.

Glaciar day is the best. Wake up early and head to the top of the ship.

Bowling alley becomes a bar at night and your son won't be allowed in. During the day, families hang out there.

Enjoy!

Glacier Day is part of the reason we picked this route... I know there are so many to choose from that it can be over whelming. We just started researching and through process of elimination NCL won. I have read so many post as why not them but we all make choices that fit our styles and finances.Like I told my DH Alaska is a distination that requires more than one trip, like the caribbean you could never do all of the islands in one cruise. So thank you for you vote of encouragment.

Smiles,

Patty

The dress up dining rooms only restrict those with jeans. That's all.

Dirty little secret is they won't stop you from entering if you are wearing jeans.

You can eat anywhere on NCL any night without a jacket and tie, which is one of the biggest reasons I love NCL.

I don't like others to tell me how to dress on my vacation.

There is no age restriction to eat anywhere.

Okay I have to say it is cute how simular our screen names are. Sounds like you and I are seeking the same style vacations. Relaxed and fun.

Smiles,

Patty

Archived