Booked on HAL Cruisetour & I need info!

CecilCtyCruiser

My father and I are booked on Holland America cruisetour #10 next June. My father would like to buy the optional meal plan, but I'm not so sure it makes sense. It averages out to $27 a meal (six breakfasts, one lunch, and 3 dinners), and this sounds like alot to me but maybe it's not much for Alaska.

Has anyone out there had experience with the meal plan, and can you give me some advice?

Also, I've been checking flight times from Vancouver the day we dock to come home. How early of a flight can I book and still have plenty of time to get to the airport from the ship, check our baggage, etc?

It may make sense for us to stay overnight in Vancouver...if so, does anyone have any recommendations? We thought we could stay in a hotel near the airport so we could use their complimentary shuttle to get to the airport...any suggestions for how we could get to the hotel from the ship?

Any help anyone can give us will be greatly appreciated! It's so confusing!

The meal plans are probably the worst thing you can buy - HUGELY inflated over what it will actually cost you (unless you want the most expensive thing on the menu at every meal). From my experience, buying the meal plan also encourages people to eat themselves into a stupor just so they get what they paid for, rather than eating sensibly.

Murray

I too never recommend the meal plans. Even though it is more costly to eat in Alaska (budget 50% more than at home for a cushion), buying as you go is the way to go. :) Don't consider any flights before noon from Vancouver and plan on going via cab- NOT the bus transfers. Vancouver is an excellent city for activities, but stay downtown not at the airport- no touring there. :) Again just an easy cab to the airport.

Archived