Family cruise planning

I am currently planning a cruise for my family of 4, my parents and my sister's family. To begin, we looked at where we wanted to cruise - Carnival's website is great, you can search my destination. We knew we wanted a 4 or 5 day cruise, so that helped narrow it down. Next we found a date that worked for all of us based on the 4 or 5 possible cruises to our desired destination. You can do it! Enjoy

Are you having trouble getting them to commit to going on the cruise, or getting them to help with the planning? To me, those are way different issues. I personally wouldn't commit a lot of time/energy to a detailed planning process until everyone "puts their money where their mouth is" and actually makes a deposit - then you know they are committed. After that, maybe put different family members in charge of researching different things and present choices for everyone - maybe have designated people to research what all is available at your ports, what the main options are, prices, etc. Maybe have one person make all the travel arrangements, port transfers, etc. Set deadlines for when each stage needs to be completed (research/looking over choices/making reservations for excursions, etc.)

You're probably going to be the one everyone depends on to be the travel agent and tour guide. Think carefully before you jump in - I've been in that position and it can be stressful; no one else will make a decision, but no one is happy when you make one either.

Sorry to sound negative, but I hate to think of you ruining your planning and your vacation by just trying to please everyone else in your family! Sometimes people get carried away on your enthusiasm when, at the end of the day, it's not something they really want to do for themselves.

Good luck!!!

Our first family cruise other family members want to go but no one responding or committing to planning. However, my family is ready.

Have anyone experience in planning a group cruise whats the best way to get started?

Unless you are going to get to the 8 cabins for group status, you may not want to get too caught up in the planning and organizing of a group. Just identify a date that should work well with everyone and move forward from that. Better yet, use a travel/cruise agent. That way, you can work with someone who is knowledgeable enough to help you identify the best cruise option and then all the rest of the family can be referred to the agent to complete their bookings.

My suggestion to you would be you make the decision on the ports that you are interested in visiting and how long you would like to cruise for. From there I would check the different options and go ahead and book from there. I work in the industry and so what you could do is if you think you will have a commitment of 8 cabins or more then you take charge and receive the credit from the cruise line. Once you organize a group you have a certain amount of time to have deposits put on the cabins. If it does not work out to where they do not commit there is nothing lost, the group falls through and your family can still go on a vacation that you chose.

to help plan a cruise with friends/family? It allows you to pick some options (that all work with those who definitely want to go) and then folks can vote which one they prefer. Or you could just pick a cruise with the ones who are going for sure and send the invite to Carnival letting people know which sailing you are on and how to book

A couple of years ago we cruised with a group of 14 people. We all booked individually and had our bookings linked. Once on board we all did our own thing, as opposed to traveling as a group. It was alot less waiting around for everyone to get to the assigned meeting place and everyone was able to do what interested them. We were one cabin shy of qualifying as a "group", but Carnival did upgrade us from a 4A guarantee to 6A OV cabins!:)

I'm a group cruise leader. I took everyones suggestions and booked the cruise. I told everyone that I would book the cruise, give them the info and that was it! If they want to join me at the ports they can or do their own thing. They can book the same dining as me, ask to sit at the same table or next to me (we already have 15 people booked) or pick something else!

A lot of us are planning to spend most of the time together but I don't want anyone getting mad at me. I even have people we met on our last cruise joining us!

I'm the leader of a group of about 40 people of all ages, coming from all parts of the US and some from Europe!

I started by picking the sailing I wanted, and just asked people to join in. Informed them of what I was doing (where I was booking, my preferred dining times, excursions I had my eye on) and gave them my PVP's contact info. Everyone either booked on their own (some with their own TA, some through my PVP) or had me do it for them.

I've found collecting all pertinent information is sometimes helpful for people who are "on the fence"...information on the ship, excursions, rough outline of a budget. Also a time line, based on when you are planning on doing what for yourself and those you are responsible for making arrangments for.

And last, but not least, we all agreed that we can spend as much time together, or apart, as we want. Some of us are travelling with kids and dining at the earlier time, others are sans kiddos and opting for later dining times. Some things we can book privately and get a better rate on if there are more people, other people want to book through the ship.

If nothing else, we have a cocktail party on one of the sea days to say hello...as well as saying "HI!" when passing. I still have a few people on the fence, almost a year after I booked (although it's just under a year til we sail now), and my big thing is to remember not to "push". The worst case scenario is that you'll pressure someone into going, that really doesn't want to be there, and then if they have a crappy time, it's your fault. BTDT, that stinks.

I planned a cruise for my family of 4 (practically veteran cruisers), my mom, brother, 2 family friends, MIL, and FIL (all first timers). However it started out as alot more people and just changed according to who came up with money and who didn't.

I booked rooms on my credit card for everyone except for MIL and FIL (they wanted a suite to celebrate their 30th). Then I set deadlines for payments. I picked the cheapest sailing, 4-5nights between departure ports close to home b/c my family is financially challenged.

I don't regret doing it but I'll never try to plan such a large group again and I won't offer to front the money either. At least 2 family members (that didn't wind up going) took advantage of my hospitality.

My advice is to pick an affordable sailing in an off time of year with group friendly ports of call, pay the deposit for your immediate group (aka you and hubby and the kids) and send out information packets to those you want to come along (how to book, price of deposit, explanation of room categories, ports of call, refund policies), and be sure to emphasize the volatility of pricing. Its probably best everyone books directly with carnival just to allow for easy price adjusting. (explain that if prices go down up till final payment, one phone call will net them the difference, yet if it goes up their rate is locked in. No risk to booking NOW, lots of disadvantages to waiting).

Its alot like fishing...You pick the bait, You cast...and then you sit back and see who bites. Standing around and waiting for a consensus on what type of bait to use will leave you with no fish to show and a headache.

I have really learned alot from reading everyone's post as I am in the starting stage to plan a family cruise for my extended family. I have picked a time frame of Aug/Sept and maybe 4-5 day length. I am going to follow the pp who said to book my room and give people packets and my PVP info.

Thanks again everyone!

We recently had a family cruise of 12 that I started. I just booked the cruise on the dates that worked for my wife and I and forwarded the information to any buddy who was interested. It worked out real well. As for excursions, I did what we wanted to do and people came with us when they wanted to or did what ever esle they wanted. I started by trying to plan and please everyone but that was way to exhausting.

We (my family of 4) decided we wanted to go on a family cruise. We decided to go during school vacation week and chose where we'd like to visit. I booked our cruise independent of anyone else through a TA. Then we gladly opened it up to any of our friends who wanted to come. Sometimes when you open it up for too many people to be in on all the different decisions, the main group who wanted to go in the first place ends up compromising. And when you're paying as much as it costs to cruise, no one should feel that they have compromised.

Our first family cruise other family members want to go but no one responding or committing to planning. However, my family is ready.

Have anyone experience in planning a group cruise whats the best way to get started?

I have planned 2 large group cruises one on the Pride in 2007 was 33 people. This coming March we will be on the Spirit and currently are at 26. Even though it is a lot of work I would do it again in a second! If there is a possibility of booking 8 cabins book it as a group, you can get some perks for doing it that way. DW and I were just notified by our TA that due to the size of our group our Balcony cabin was being comped by Carnival. Makes being the planner worth it don't you think? :D

Its funny within 3 weeks I had experience almost every problem that each of you encountered for group planning.

I will say letting family booking their own cabin is great and less stress. I did use the Carnival cruise search to find the best dates for our cruise; however many changes since the last date agreement. Infact I have to change my count down calendar LOL.

I did compromise for the dates just so more family members can go. I still may book an extra cruise this year because I wanted to cruise for xmas now we are cruising in Aug.

So far we have 6 cabins that should be booked by Feb. which leaves 4 cabins up for grabs to late comers.

Thanks and enjoy your cruise(s) everyone.

We did talk my parents into joining us this year.

Most folks don't like to take the kids out of school to cruise.

Me, I see it as life lessons. My kids have harvested salt from the salt flats as well as touring ruins and snorkeling with the fish.

That is how I justify taking them out of school. One of these days my friends and family will catch on.

I was hoping that the price wold drop as we are now 6 weeks from sailing. No sign of it yet.

I guess cruisers will cut back their house hold budgets on something other than cruising.

Later. JM

Archived