Embarkation/Disembarkation in San Juan

LollyMoz

I've heard and read some worrisome things about both the embarkation and disembarkation process in San Juan. We are strongly considering taking a cruise in December 2009 which is out of San Juan and would like any and all input or advice/suggestions. We've stayed in SJ before and really enjoyed our visit, so we know the place itself, just wondering about cruising in and out of there specifically. :confused:

What "worrisome things" have you heard?

You're looking for "any and all input or advice/suggestions" with regard to what specifically?

We have taken a couple cruises from San Juan (both from the PanAm pier as well as the piers in Old San Juan) and have never had any problems.

Thanks for the response. I have heard and read reviews that say that embarkation/disembarkation is very disorganized and understaffed and that one of the terminals is much better than the other with regard to outdoor coverage, etc. One woman told me that she would not take any cruises out of San Juan because she had such a bad experience last time she went (last year). We travel extensively and I am well aware that there will always be a glitch here and there, I am simply looking for any other input or suggestions (for instance I was told not to go through the cruise lines to book their bus service to the ship, but to get a taxi on our own), etc. Personally, I loved the time we spent in San Juan and am looking forward to coming back soon.

Thanks for the response. I have heard and read reviews that say that embarkation/disembarkation is very disorganized and understaffed and that one of the terminals is much better than the other with regard to outdoor coverage, etc. One woman told me that she would not take any cruises out of San Juan because she had such a bad experience last time she went (last year). We travel extensively and I am well aware that there will always be a glitch here and there, I am simply looking for any other input or suggestions (for instance I was told not to go through the cruise lines to book their bus service to the ship, but to get a taxi on our own), etc. Personally, I loved the time we spent in San Juan and am looking forward to coming back soon.

Some people have recently said the Pan Am pier area is a zoo- too many cars trying to go in and out of the area early. The only relief for that is to not be in a rush, and go to embarkation later in the day.

I've heard that the Custom Process, which happened in St Thomas previously, is now taking place on disembarkation day in San Juan and that it's casuing delays in getting of the ship. Hopefully, someone who has recent experience will post about it.

We did the Regent Seven Seas Diamond out of San Juan and did not have any problems.

On our return customs was done at St. Thomas at 8:00 am the day before we arrived

in San Juan so disembarking was just a matter of getting off when your assigned color was called. Quick and easy. Plenty of taxi's waiting.

Archived