Questions from a single female

NHgirl

I just wanted to say you will love it, my wife and myself have made alot of friends over the years and we now stay intouch and we try to do a cruise once a year .I try to get them to do two a year but the time frame sometimes dont work. You will meet alot of nice people and injoy your cruise

Dear NHGirl,

I just cruised alone on Infinity last month. I travel a lot and am pretty safety concious. I felt very, very safe on the ship. Sometimes I worry about dark stairways and deserted halls in hotels. But on the ship, there are room stewards, waiters, ships officers, etc. wandering around all the time, day and night! I hardly walked 20 steps without someone from Celebrity passing me, smiling, and speaking to me. I try to take the stairs for exercise, but sometimes give up in hotels because they just seem too icky. But on the ship, they were right in the center, well lit, and constantly travelled by passengers and employees.

As for shore excursions, I can't give you too much. I cruised around the Hawaiian islands, and Hawaii is my home. I just have a sense of what situations are safe and what are not here in my own backyard. I am sure others will weigh in with their opinions. My guess is that official shore excursions sold by your ship will have lots of other passengers along.

I will share with you the three best things I did to make my experience successful. First, I logged on to the roll call for my ship and started corresponding with people there. By the time I boarded, I knew the names of several people and we looked out for each other. That was fun. Then we all rendezvoused at the Cruise Critics party. Second is that I asked for second seating, table for 10. Our table got off to a bit of a slow start, with just three of us the first night. But we eventually added 5 other regulars. These were all people who wanted to meet others too. I enjoyed so much seeing them every evening. I would run into some of them on the ship or on shore, and we would spend some time together. That was fun, too. And finally, I ate most of my meals in the formal dining room. At the buffet people sit at small tables either alone or with their party usually. But in the formal dining room at breakfast and lunch they put you with others to make up full tables. Usually tables of 6. I met a lot of great people that way, too.

Wishing you a wonderful cruise! Hope my suggestions are helpful to you.

Thank you so much for these tips. I go on my first ever cruise on Saturday, solo, and you've answered most of my unasked "negative" questions. I live in rural France and am used to feeling safe; joining a "floating city" had me feeling a little nervous. Thank you for making me feel more secure about it. x

• 4 weeks later...
Hi:) I just returned from my 7th solo cruise in a row. It was fantastic as usual:D

I want to be back on the ship! If you want, check out my pictures below. New ones are posted from Century 3-12-05. There are smiles all around:)

I've seen a lot of people who got stuck going solo but knowing you have had fun 7 times makes it sound much better.

-KD

I've seen a lot of people who got stuck going solo but knowing you have had fun 7 times makes it sound much better.

-KD

Hi KD:) not sure if you noticed the date of that post of mine...it was

in 2005...long time ago......and since that time I have now over 30

cruises, all of them solo:D check my signature and you will see all

my sailings.....as for getting stuck? I would love to be stuck on a ship;)

seriously, I choose to go on my own.....it is simply FABULOUS!!!!!!!

I am going to the Med in May for the first time. We have a really

nice roll call with friendly people and are sharing in 4 private tours.

It is ALL GOOD:D

Archived