Healthy Cruise?

TucsonDeb

i too am concerned about gaining weight on my cruise because right after i get back, i'm in my BFF's wedding! plus i have little discipline when it comes to buffets (i just want to try everything) but reading all the tips in this thread has motivated me to try to be healthy during the cruise. i know it can be done, i just need to make up my mind to do it! :p

Also taking the stairs really does work, but I find after a few days of it, my upper bone in my ankles kill me!!! Maybe because I am not used to it.

!

I have problems with stairs and my ankles - going downstairs, that's where more pressure is put on the joint. It's a good compromise to go upstairs and take the elevator downstairs. Upstairs is more work, but downstairs tends to be higher impact.

Good to know about the stairs - maybe I will try that next time! I also don't do the stairs once I am dressed up - a girl can't get all ready and then get sweaty can she?

Also about the buffets - I never go through the buffet lines at lunch, I get a salad and get as full as I can on that and if I am still hungry I will go to the sandwich bar, I just hate waiting in the long buffet lines, so that helps me to stay away from them! Also if something doesn't taste GREAT then I put it down and move on to soemthing else, even in the dining room!!!

These are some great tips - thank you! I'm very glad Carnival has the calorie counts for the spa cuisine on their menus. Apparently most lines just mark them as "healthy".

I also like the idea of concentrating on exotic foods, leaving the yummy-but-ordinary stuff (like sausage....mmmmm, sausage) because "I can get that anywhere".

Yeah, I have to play headgames with myself. Whatever works! :D

Fuze has a fantastic line of low calorie drinks that I take to make my own foo foo drinks. 1/2 bottle of tropical punch fuze and coconut rum is a great pina colada substitute at under 90 calories. They also have melon, carn, pom and strawberry flavors with one shot of vodka or rum you can have a real mixed drink for under 100 calories. The same as an apple!

Kudos for being health minded. I've lost 25 pounds, 10 more to go.

I like the Fuze idea, especially since I know I'm going to want at least one frou-frou drink a day. :)

Also, I found this video that other weight-minded cruisers might enjoy. I normally wouldn't post it, but the presenter had taken a Carnival cruise and absolutely *raves* about Carnival in the video, especially in terms of the type and portion sizes of the food available, as well as the fitness center.

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/1376488/no_weight_gain_vaction_holidays_tips_nutrition_by_natalie/

(PS: BTW, I hope no one gets the idea that I'm advocating this for anyone else -- it's just something I want/need to do for my cruise. For those that like to go nuts during their cruise, more power to you ... and know that I'd love to join you, ha ha!)

I just got back from a 7 day cruise! Here are my tips to add to what everyone has already said!

Healthy Breakfast Suggestions

- Egg white omelettes (no cheese), Hard boiled eggs (egg whites only), Dannon Light & Fit Yogurt, cottage cheese, LOTS OF FRUIT! I also would bring the small boxes of the cereal on excursions because I knew the nutritional info etc.

Other Tips

- I brought my own healthy snacks from home like granola bars, etc. I could bring these to the beach and know exactly what I was eating.

- Room Service Snack - Crudites with dip

- Water bottle! I also brought some Crystal Light packets with me because sometimes the ship water has a little after taste.

- Skip the bread all together. If you just have it once, it could open the floodates! Same goes for the pizza. It's not that great!

- I went to the gym everyday. We had late seating so the best time to go was during the first seating around 6PM. It was pretty empty. The valor had only six ellipticals but plenty of treadmills with TVs.

- Always take the stairs!

- Partake in the buffets but don't go crazy. Just have a taste.

- I loved all the Spa Menu options. I had a lot of seafood dishes that I normally wouldn't eat.

- If for some reason you dont like what's on the menu, just ask your server. The kitchen can make you anything! You could even get a nice salad with grilled salmon or chicken with FF dressing.

- Take the stairs everywhere. Your legs will feel amazing by the end!

- Walk everywhere! After dinner, take a walk around the ship. It's good to walk it off.

- If you want to be really stringent, there is a scale in the gym.

Remember, it's all mental. The ship has plenty of healthy options. You just need willpower! Write little notes to yourself to remind you of your goal, but remember that you are on vacation! As long as you are exercising, you should be okay! Good luck!

Salads are a great idea, but try to add some grilled chicken in with it. The chicken will keep you full unlike the salad. You will grow hungry very quickly by essentially eating leaves. I love salad, but within 2 hours I am starving, but addding the lean protein of chicken helps!

If you intend to work out then commit to it. It is very easy to say "I will do it" and then just as easy to sit around and put it off. Ask me how I know. ;) Set a specific time aside for it and just get it done. Plus most ships have an amazing view in the gym area!

Hee hee -- I should add, posting this on the forum is going to help me feel more accountable and more likely to stick to the plan.

(When I come back, I promise to post whether I was able to maintain. If I don't, you're free to mock me. :D)

One other question I will ask since most people responding seem to have a good knowledge of "healthy eating"...we sat near an older couple that ate Dannon Light Yogurt after every meal (I saw them in the buffet doing this too) and sometimes they even had dessert.

Does yogurt help with digestion or what is the purpose of having it with each meal? Just curious...

One other question I will ask since most people responding seem to have a good knowledge of "healthy eating"...we sat near an older couple that ate Dannon Light Yogurt after every meal (I saw them in the buffet doing this too) and sometimes they even had dessert.

Does yogurt help with digestion or what is the purpose of having it with each meal? Just curious...

Benefit No. 1: Yogurt With Active Cultures May Help the Gut

While more study is needed, there's some evidence that yogurt with active cultures may help certain gastrointestinal conditions, including:

• Lactose intolerance
  • Constipation
  • Diarrhea
  • Colon cancer
  • Inflammatory bowel disease
  • H. pylori infection

• 5 weeks later...

Crystal Light packets (actually I like the SF grape Kool-aid LOL!)

Avoid anything white (rice, pasta, bread, sugar, whip anything)

Tons of lean protein + good fat ie grill chx with avocado salad YUM!

Most importantly, enjoy your cruise and indulge a bit so you don't feel denied. Get a decadent desert one night that is sweetly calling your name and REALLY taste and savor it, rather than beat yourself up for eating it :)

OK You convinced me. I am off to do the treadmill.

The stairs trick always works for me. On my first cruise I ate all I wanted including 2 desserts a night and actually lost weight. I don't eat like that anymore and am half the person I used to be.

Michelle

Archived