Alaska excursions?/Capt Larry

I am taking a large group to Alaska in July of 2004. I am thinking of Capt Larry's Whale watching for one of our excursions, My question is, is it worth the money and do you recomend it? Second question, I am also thinking of taking the group to the Lumberjack show in Ketchikan. Is this one you would recommend as well? Thanks for the info.

From Minnesota

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=00bfff&cdt=2004;7;11;17;30;00&timezone=GMT-0800

Looking forward to Alaska, Infinity

Both excursions have gotten rave reviews on the Alaska board(under Ports Of Call).......any questions on any excursions in Alaska can be answered best there............lots of posters who have been there,done that!!

ALASKA BOARD

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=111111&cdt=2004;5;30;15;00;00&timezone=GMT-1000 RCCL Serenade--5/30--Alaska

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff0000&cdt=2004;10;28;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500 RCCL Jewel--10/28--repositioning

**RCCL SOS-8/27/04** Carnival Miracle-2/13/05**

First off - Alaska has excellent tour options- I would not go with a "group" unless all are interested in that tour and that is their top choice. But as for your questions- whale watching is excellent out of Juneau- humpbacks seen about 100% of the time, orcas only coming in on average of every 5-10 days. Determine if this is what the "group" wishes to see??? As for the Lumberjack show- OK- skilled lumberjacks certainly. But be certain someone doesn't have the desire for native activities- loaded in this port or the top excursion- Misty fjord floatplanes. Easy to book direct- I never take ship excursions myself.

We took Captain Larry's tour last June. We had a blast and saw quite a few whales, as well as eagles, Sea Lions and seals. I will warn you however that he pilots the boat like a maniac. I think he gets a kick out of the bouncing the tourists around in his boat. Don't get me wrong, he is on a quest to find whales and is quite good at it. I just think he had a little gleam in his eye when he would make the boat fly over the waves and then crash down again. I wouldn't hesitate to go with him again.

Explorer of the Seas March 20th

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=008080&cdt=2004;3;20;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Contact Capt. Larry soon if you want to go on his excursion, I've heard he books up fast. His boats are smaller, 18-30 ppl.

We have a group half your size, I am not making any plans for excursions for anyone other than my family. I dread the thought of trying to get everyone to approve of my choices! The Celebrity site has a downloadable brochure for their excursions, not that you have to book through them, just so your group can see what is available.

Please let us know how you liked the Infinity for a group. We'll be on August 15, 2004 (can't wait!!)

Kathy

We did Larry in end of July last year and since my daughter was 7 at time that was all she wanted to do.. well previous years we went to Boston and did whale watching and got to see alot.

Well, maybe it ws the day, yeas we did we s few.. but the other boats were closer. And we played catch up w/them. Was a little disappointed since we didn't see any other "wildlife" and since we had to wait around for the boat (times got changed by 1 1/2hrs) didn't get to do Mendenhal (DH did rush over there and saw the bears though). Think Larry had better luck in the afternoon... but it's the luck of the draw.. I just thought it was a bit pricy since we did see a few whales from the ship.

JMHO,

Carolyn

Archived