Passport needed US citizen

Linda74

I don't think you need one for a cruise to Bermuda only by plane so far...

this is from NCL's website

Caribbean, Bahamas, Bermuda, Alaska, Mexican Riviera, Or Canada & New England Cruises

For sailings that end by May 31, 2009, you need a valid passport, proof of citizenship and a government-issued photo I.D. or a valid driver's license with a photo, or any other WHTI compliant document. Proof of Citizenship examples include: an original or state certified copy of a U.S. or Canadian birth certificate, an original certificate of U.S. naturalization, original certificate of U.S. citizenship, or a U.S. Consular report of your birth broad.

Note: If you miss your ship at its scheduled U.S. departure port and need to travel outside the U.S. to meet your ship, or should you unexpectedly need to depart the ship from a foreign port prior to the end of sailing, a passport would be required to leave or re-enter the U.S. by air.

As of June 1st, 2009:

For sailings that depart from and return to the same U.S. port, you need a valid passport, proof of citizenship and a government-issued photo I.D. or a valid driver's license with a photo, or any other WHTI compliant document. Proof of Citizenship examples include: an original or state certified copy of a U.S. or Canadian birth certificate, certificate of U.S. naturalization, original certificate of U.S. citizenship, or a U.S. Consular report of your birth abroad.

For open-jaw sailings (cruises that depart from one U.S. port and return to a different U.S. port), you are required to carry a valid passport, U.S. passport card or Enhanced Drivers License, as well as have in your possession all relative visas that pertain to your travel itinerary. Permanent residents of the U.S. are required to carry their valid ARC cards for boarding AND passport from their country of citizenship, if available.

Note: If you miss your ship at its scheduled U.S. departure port and need to travel outside the U.S. to meet your ship, or should you unexpectedly need to depart the ship from a foreign port prior to the end of sailing, a passport would be required to leave or re-enter the U.S. by air. To that end, NCL strongly recommends all guests to obtain a passport for their voyage on any NCL vessel.

Personal opinion get a passport with someone that may need to fly back....or you will have a long wait.

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cbpmc/cbpmc_2223.html

http://travel.state.gov/pdf/ppt_pptCard.pdf

Not sure if you are sailing before or after June 1. I would get a passport, though. Even if you epect to return to US by ship and a passport card would be accepted, if there is some sort of emergency that requires you to fly, you must have a passport.

• 2 weeks later...
I don't think you need one for a cruise to Bermuda only by plane so far...

this is from NCL's website

Caribbean, Bahamas, Bermuda, Alaska, Mexican Riviera, Or Canada & New England Cruises

For sailings that end by May 31, 2009, you need a valid passport, proof of citizenship and a government-issued photo I.D. or a valid driver's license with a photo, or any other WHTI compliant document. Proof of Citizenship examples include: an original or state certified copy of a U.S. or Canadian birth certificate, an original certificate of U.S. naturalization, original certificate of U.S. citizenship, or a U.S. Consular report of your birth broad.

Note: If you miss your ship at its scheduled U.S. departure port and need to travel outside the U.S. to meet your ship, or should you unexpectedly need to depart the ship from a foreign port prior to the end of sailing, a passport would be required to leave or re-enter the U.S. by air.

As of June 1st, 2009:

For sailings that depart from and return to the same U.S. port, you need a valid passport, proof of citizenship and a government-issued photo I.D. or a valid driver's license with a photo, or any other WHTI compliant document. Proof of Citizenship examples include: an original or state certified copy of a U.S. or Canadian birth certificate, certificate of U.S. naturalization, original certificate of U.S. citizenship, or a U.S. Consular report of your birth abroad.

For open-jaw sailings (cruises that depart from one U.S. port and return to a different U.S. port), you are required to carry a valid passport, U.S. passport card or Enhanced Drivers License, as well as have in your possession all relative visas that pertain to your travel itinerary. Permanent residents of the U.S. are required to carry their valid ARC cards for boarding AND passport from their country of citizenship, if available.

Note: If you miss your ship at its scheduled U.S. departure port and need to travel outside the U.S. to meet your ship, or should you unexpectedly need to depart the ship from a foreign port prior to the end of sailing, a passport would be required to leave or re-enter the U.S. by air. To that end, NCL strongly recommends all guests to obtain a passport for their voyage on any NCL vessel.

Personal opinion get a passport with someone that may need to fly back....or you will have a long wait.

Not to complicate this issue further:rolleyes: My TA told me yesterday that even though NCL is saying you don't need a passport even after 6/1 Massport is telling the TA's around here that they will be requiring passports for all cruise passengers after 6/1. My TA e-mailed the Massport person the link to NCL's website saying that passports will not be required even after 6/1 for the Boston to Bermuda cruise and the Massport person is going to look into it.

Not to complicate this issue further:rolleyes: My TA told me yesterday that even though NCL is saying you don't need a passport even after 6/1 Massport is telling the TA's around here that they will be requiring passports for all cruise passengers after 6/1. My TA e-mailed the Massport person the link to NCL's website saying that passports will not be required even after 6/1 for the Boston to Bermuda cruise and the Massport person is going to look into it.

LOL confusion reigns supreme. The DOS site says the same as NCL.

LOL confusion reigns supreme. The DOS site says the same as NCL.

I know. The TA e-mailed that link to the Massport offical also. But (as the TA says) the person that decides if the passenger's documentation is sufficient works for Massport. I hope they get this worked out before 6/1:rolleyes:

You need to go by the info posted on the official GOVERNMENT website:

Right now, that states that you currently to not need a passport if cruising to Bermuda (both original birth certificate and drivers license will do). As of June 1, you will need either a passport or a passport card. The passport card cannot be used for air travel anywhere. That being said, I would not travel to Canada, Mexico, Bermuda or the Caribbean without a passport anymore, because if there is a medical emergency, or if you would need to return home by plane for any emergency at home, you would need a passport.

You need to go by the info posted on the official GOVERNMENT website:

Right now, that states that you currently to not need a passport if cruising to Bermuda (both original birth certificate and drivers license will do). As of June 1, you will need either a passport or a passport card. The passport card cannot be used for air travel anywhere. That being said, I would not travel to Canada, Mexico, Bermuda or the Caribbean without a passport anymore, because if there is a medical emergency, or if you would need to return home by plane for any emergency at home, you would need a passport.

I know and agree with you that everyone SHOULD get a passport (I have mine) but if you look at the Dept. of Homeland Security website it does say that on closed-loop cruises (like the Boston-Bermuda cruise) a certified copy of a birth certificate and government issued photo id will be o.k. even after 6/1

I know and agree with you that everyone SHOULD get a passport (I have mine) but if you look at the Dept. of Homeland Security website it does say that on closed-loop cruises (like the Boston-Bermuda cruise) a certified copy of a birth certificate and government issued photo id will be o.k. even after 6/1

I cannot find a link on any government website that says this will be okay after June 1. I did check the HLS website. Maybe I am looking at the wrong page.

http://www.dhs.gov/xtrvlsec/crossingborders/index.shtm#3

I cannot find a link on any government website that says this will be okay after June 1. I did check the HLS website. Maybe I am looking at the wrong page.

http://www.dhs.gov/xtrvlsec/crossingborders/index.shtm#3

You've got the right page. Scroll down about 3/4 of the way and there is a paragraph that addresses cruiseship passengers. It definately states that bc and photo id is all that is needed.

You've got the right page. Scroll down about 3/4 of the way and there is a paragraph that addresses cruiseship passengers. It definately states that bc and photo id is all that is needed.

Yes, but that was whole section was effective January 1, 2008. As of June 1, 2009 I believe everything changes and you muist at least have a passport card to travel by land or sea.

Click here: Do I need a U.S Passport for my next travel?

http://travel.state.gov/passport_cal/passport_travel_requirements.php

Yes, but that was whole section was effective January 1, 2008. As of June 1, 2009 I believe everything changes and you muist at least have a passport card to travel by land or sea.

Click here: Do I need a U.S Passport for my next travel?

http://travel.state.gov/passport_cal/passport_travel_requirements.php

No it is as NCL says above. If you are returning to the same US port all you need is a birth certificate and a WHTI compliant document(some drivers license comply)..... a passport is still easier but it isn't required yet....

As of June 1st, 2009:

No it is as NCL says above. If you are returning to the same US port all you need is a birth certificate and a WHTI compliant document(some drivers license comply)..... a passport is still easier but it isn't required yet....

As of June 1st, 2009:

For sailings that depart from and return to the same U.S. port, Proof of Citizenship examples include: an original or state certified copy of a U.S. or Canadian birth certificate, certificate of U.S. naturalization, original certificate of U.S. citizenship, or a U.S. Consular report of your birth abroad.

Good morning!:)

We are leaving for Bermuda after June 1 and I'm still a little confused about the wording "you need a valid passport, proof of citizenship and a government-issued photo I.D. or a valid driver's license with a photo, or any other WHTI compliant document". I have a passport and drivers license, but do I also need another proof of citizenship???:confused::confused: Thanks!;)

I have spoken with HLS and they told me the following: After June 1, 2009 if you depart from a U.S port and it is your first port of entry back into the U.S then you do not need a passport. With that said he went onto say, that if I took a cruise to Canada from N.Y. and went to Canada then to Boston before returning to N.Y. I would need a passport because Boston would be my first point of entry back into the U.S. even though the cruise was round trip out of N.Y.

The same would apply to Alaska, Carib, etc. If you make a stop at another U.S port after visiting another country before returning to your embarkation/debarkation port you would need a passport......At least that is what one of the HLS customer service agents told me.

You do need a passport but they have a new thing called a passcard which is == to a passport but looks like an id card and it is a lot cheaper. The only thing you can not use this card for is for international flights for this you would still need a passport. I am getting both my kids the passport cards which for one will be a total of 35 dollars and the other 45 dollars so alot cheaper than a passport at about 100 dollars and they are the same thing it is posted on the passport website. they also only take a few weeks to get. Hope this helps...

Her is a link to the passport card

http://travel.state.gov/passport/ppt_card/ppt_card_3926.html

I have spoken with HLS and they told me the following: After June 1, 2009 if you depart from a U.S port and it is your first port of entry back into the U.S then you do not need a passport. With that said he went onto say, that if I took a cruise to Canada from N.Y. and went to Canada then to Boston before returning to N.Y. I would need a passport because Boston would be my first point of entry back into the U.S. even though the cruise was round trip out of N.Y.

The same would apply to Alaska, Carib, etc. If you make a stop at another U.S port after visiting another country before returning to your embarkation/debarkation port you would need a passport......At least that is what one of the HLS customer service agents told me.

well what that clerk told you is different than NCL has posted. This does NOT absolutely say you need a passport, unless the FINAL destinatiopn is different from the port you left from...

As of June 1st, 2009:

well what that clerk told you is different than NCL has posted. This does NOT absolutely say you need a passport, unless the FINAL destinatiopn is different from the port you left from...

As of June 1st, 2009:

The HLS website says the same thing. He told me that means a closed-looped cruise with no other re-entry into the US after a different country has been visited except your port of embarkation. So if you went to Alaska Roundtrip out of Seattle and Victoria, BC was the country visited and then no other U.S ports were visited before heading back to Seattle, you would not need a Passport. But, if you went from Seattle to Vancouver then to Juneau before heading back to Seattle, a passport would be required because Juneau was your first entry into the U.S after visiting another country.

Just telling you what he told me, Closed-looped cruises are o.k. as long as your first point of entry into the U.S after visiting another country is your embarkation port. He could be as confused as we are...:)

The HLS website says the same thing. He told me that means a closed-looped cruise with no other re-entry into the US after a different country has been visited except your port of embarkation. So if you went to Alaska Roundtrip out of Seattle and Victoria, BC was the country visited and then no other U.S ports were visited before heading back to Seattle, you would not need a Passport. But, if you went from Seattle to Vancouver then to Juneau before heading back to Seattle, a passport would be required because Juneau was your first entry into the U.S after visiting another country.

Just telling you what he told me, Closed-looped cruises are o.k. as long as your first point of entry into the U.S after visiting another country is your embarkation port. He could be as confused as we are...:)

almost all the NE round trips from NY stop at Bar Harbor or Boston or someplace else after leaving Canada returning to NY so he says they need a passport.....I am almost positive he is wrong. Call again and see if the answer is different. because there will lots of people at the NCL pier not bringing them(I do think they should have them)...

almost all the NE round trips from NY stop at Bar Harbor or Boston or someplace else after leaving Canada returning to NY so he says they need a passport.....I am almost positive he is wrong. Call again and see if the answer is different. because there will lots of people at the NCL pier not bringing them(I do think they should have them)...

One more point this is on the Bermuda threads where most stops are only in Bermuda and return to the same US port except the one day stops and rare repos....

They would have this past year because this does not go into effect until June 09.

Archived