Passport needed US citizen

Linda74

Are Belize and Roatan actually requiring the passports, or is the US not allowing the closed loop cruise cruise exception for cruises calling there because of some security concerns about those locales?

From what I've been able to gather, the US further clarified the "closed loop exception" to only include destinations that are defined to be within the "Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative area."

Presumably, the countries (islands) that are included in that area have implemented certain security procedures, which ensure that the people who return to the ship are the same people who got on the ship in the United States.

It is my assumption that non-WHTI area countries have not agreed to implement, or have not yet been successful in implementing these new procedures.

Could be way off base, but that's my conclusion from all the reading I've done over the past couple years... :)

Theron

P.S. I laughed when I saw your signature quote! I hope you don't say that to people who greet you at the airport!!

where is your cruise going? Belize Roatan and reportably the DR is requiring passports. You have time to get them but will probably have to expedite them- sorry more $

We are going to mexico from long beach and returning to long beach, ss forgot that bit of information, lol

We are going to mexico from long beach and returning to long beach, ss forgot that bit of information, lol

So, you posted a question about passport requirements to Mexico on the Bermuda board? :confused:

In any event, Mexico is a WHTI country, so the closed loop cruise exception to the passport requirement should mean an original birth certificate and government issued photo ID should suffice.

Luv2Cruz -- thanks for clarifying that -- my husband, I and our 2 kids all have VALID passports but the way it was worded it seemed I still needed our drivers license and birth certificate for me and hubby and the birth certificate for the kids -- like hello...why would you need birth certificate as the Valid Passport is the best form of id and proof of citizenship than anything else...we went to mexico on cruise 2 years ago and that was required. we willhave our driver's licenses with us anyway since we are driving down to baltimore from nj for the cruise but am not going to bring our birth certificates as i don't think they will be necessary ....especially after reading your posting re your conversation ...thanks

Archived