• See a soccer game
    • Visit the surrounding countryside
    • Beatles stuff
    • Shopping
    • Hop On Hop Off Bus Tour
    • Williamson Tunnels
    • Research Family History
    • Other - Please post details

Lovely picture Towncar T, I couldn't get down to see the ship yesterday but will do in August.

How was your meet and mingle?!

I took that picture from alongside the Seacombe Ferry Terminal while the nice man watched my car, which I had parked right where the buses go!:o

The M&M was short and sweet, but it was nice to put some names to some faces. I guess there were about ten or twelve people who came and said hello.:)

I just spent the weekend in Liverpool (not on a cruise) and was very impressed with the city - there's loads to do. I particularly recommend the 'White Feather' exhibition at the Pier Head which is all about John Lennon from Cynthia and Julian's points of view and very moving. It's only there for a few months so I was glad to catch it. I would also like to have seen the special exhibition about the moon landings ('One Small Step' I think it was called) but there wasn't time. I will definitely return to the city for a longer time but I'm sure it would be a great cruise stop.

I just spent the weekend in Liverpool (not on a cruise) and was very impressed with the city - there's loads to do. I particularly recommend the 'White Feather' exhibition at the Pier Head which is all about John Lennon from Cynthia and Julian's points of view and very moving. It's only there for a few months so I was glad to catch it. I would also like to have seen the special exhibition about the moon landings ('One Small Step' I think it was called) but there wasn't time. I will definitely return to the city for a longer time but I'm sure it would be a great cruise stop.

That's nice of you to give some feedback on the city. Just to be clear, you say the exhibition was at the Pier Head. Do you perhaps mean the Maritime Museum at the Albert Dock? :)

That's nice of you to give some feedback on the city. Just to be clear, you say the exhibition was at the Pier Head. Do you perhaps mean the Maritime Museum at the Albert Dock? :)

OK. I see where you mean now. It's in the new ferry terminal right on the Pier Head. Here's a link for anyone that might be interested. :)

http://www.whitefeatherexhibition.com/information.htm

Yes, that's it. And here's the link to the Moon Landings one

http://www.spaceport.org.uk/ but that might seem rather tame for our American travellers compared to what they have in the USA.

Having been to the Kennedy Space Center and even been there to watch a space shuttle launch, I think you might be right! Not sure of the Merseyside connection with this attraction. Seems a bit random.:confused:

We live reasonably close to the city, my husband works there, and was born there, and is a rabid Evertonian! but until our son started Univerity there I had only made fleeting visits. Now, I love it, the architechure is wonderful. We spent a full day there being "tourists" a little while ago, and it is so true that sometimes you dont truly appreciate what is on your doorstep. We took my elderly MIL with us who was born in the city, but had not been back for some time, she loved it.

We did the hop on bus tour, and St Georges Hall, the Yellow Duckmarine tour, Liverpool 1, and so much more, and still only scratched the surface. I would love to sail from Liverpool, and would be ecstatic if one of the bigger cruise lines started from there.

To anyone coming to Liverpool, you will have a great expereince, and a laugh the people are great and very friendly, if you are coming up from London you will notice a difference, although London is wonderful too.

Towncar T, you are doing a sterling job promoting your city, well done.:D

We live reasonably close to the city, my husband works there, and was born there, and is a rabid Evertonian! but until our son started Univerity there I had only made fleeting visits. Now, I love it, the architechure is wonderful. We spent a full day there being "tourists" a little while ago, and it is so true that sometimes you dont truly appreciate what is on your doorstep. We took my elderly MIL with us who was born in the city, but had not been back for some time, she loved it.

We did the hop on bus tour, and St Georges Hall, the Yellow Duckmarine tour, Liverpool 1, and so much more, and still only scratched the surface. I would love to sail from Liverpool, and would be ecstatic if one of the bigger cruise lines started from there.

To anyone coming to Liverpool, you will have a great expereince, and a laugh the people are great and very friendly, if you are coming up from London you will notice a difference, although London is wonderful too.

Towncar T, you are doing a sterling job promoting your city, well done.:D

Thanks. I think Liverpool has had an undeservedly poor reputation in the past and it's great to encounter so many people with positive things to say about the city.I recently met a bunch of people off the Crown Princess, who had spent the day in Liverpool. Every one of them thought the place far exceeded their expectations, including some Brits who had never been here before. :)

My wife and I were walking along Lime Street last Friday en route to see Bryan Adams at the Empire and we looked at St George's Hall. If that building was in Paris, Rome or London people would be going nuts about it. It is definitely one of the finest buildings in Europe.

Edited by Towncar T

Thanks. I think Liverpool has had an undeservedly poor reputation in the past and it's great to encounter so many people with positive things to say about the city.I recently met a bunch of people off the Crown Princess, who had spent the day in Liverpool. Every one of them thought the place far exceeded their expectations, including some Brits who had never been here before. :)

My wife and I were walking along Lime Street last Friday en route to see Bryan Adams at the Empire and we looked at St George's Hall. If that building was in Paris, Rome or London people would be going nuts about it. It is definitely one of the finest buildings in Europe.

I couldnt agree more, it is a wonderful building, and there are many more!

I think that at last Liverpool is waking up to how to promote itself, and it does have a lot to offer.

Keep up the good work!

Just a heads up to anyone considering the Liverpool Ferry tour. The ferry is currently offering its summer route, which goes out towards New Brighton rather than up river towards Garston. I think this is the beter route, as it takes in a view of Fort Perch Rock.:)

• 3 weeks later...
Just a heads up to anyone considering the Liverpool Ferry tour. The ferry is currently offering its summer route, which goes out towards New Brighton rather than up river towards Garston. I think this is the beter route, as it takes in a view of Fort Perch Rock.:)

Towncar T, I just want to say thank you again for all the information on Liverpool over these past 2 months. You have given me so many ideas that I am so looking forward to our day there knowing of course that we can't do everything that you have suggested but I know that it is going to be a wonderful day.

My only question for now, which I will ask again before we arrive (August 31) is how has your summer weather been in general. I've been told by friends I have up in Scotland that it has hardly been summer at all---very cool and rainy. Has that been true for your part of the world as well? Here back in NY we are having an exceptionally cool summer, I think the 3rd coolest in 125 years of record keeping. The rain has diminished in July but we have not had a day above 86F (30C) and mostly in the 70's (23C-25C).

Towncar T, I just want to say thank you again for all the information on Liverpool over these past 2 months. You have given me so many ideas that I am so looking forward to our day there knowing of course that we can't do everything that you have suggested but I know that it is going to be a wonderful day.

My only question for now, which I will ask again before we arrive (August 31) is how has your summer weather been in general. I've been told by friends I have up in Scotland that it has hardly been summer at all---very cool and rainy. Has that been true for your part of the world as well? Here back in NY we are having an exceptionally cool summer, I think the 3rd coolest in 125 years of record keeping. The rain has diminished in July but we have not had a day above 86F (30C) and mostly in the 70's (23C-25C).

Well I know nothing about Scotland, but here in my country of England it was the wettest July since 1888.Yes, eighteen eighty eight!!

However, June was lovely, with high temperatures and lots of sun. The problem is that our weather is so very changeable. The last few days have been dry and warm. However, our idea of warm is anything mid 60's and above.

You will NOT need any heavy coats or pullovers here. Thin layers that you can peel on and off are best, with a thin waterproof coat. That will be adequate. I am playing golf next week with somebody off the Aug 12th sailing and I'm hoping for good weather. Just don't expect too much and be prepared for anything. We're used to it.

Enjoy your cruise and especially your time in England and very especially your day in 'The Pool.' T:)

Well I know nothing about Scotland, but here in my country of England it was the wettest July since 1888.Yes, eighteen eighty eight!!

However, June was lovely, with high temperatures and lots of sun. The problem is that our weather is so very changeable. The last few days have been dry and warm. However, our idea of warm is anything mid 60's and above.

You will NOT need any heavy coats or pullovers here. Thin layers that you can peel on and off are best, with a thin waterproof coat. That will be adequate. I am playing golf next week with somebody off the Aug 12th sailing and I'm hoping for good weather. Just don't expect too much and be prepared for anything. We're used to it.

Enjoy your cruise and especially your time in England and very especially your day in 'The Pool.' T:)

My thanks too for all the info you've put out recently. You're a great ambassador for the 'Pool. Liverpool is a great city coming into it's own again, and a great cruise destination.

I'm a Mancunian and never thought I'd hear myself saying stuff like this (must go and lie down in a darkened room for a bit..)!!:eek:

We'll be travelling up from Staffordshire for 0700 next Sunday 16th Aug to see Crown Princess sail in and will spend the day in the city.

Hope to be sailing in to L'pool c/o Princess before too long.

My thanks too for all the info you've put out recently. You're a great ambassador for the 'Pool. Liverpool is a great city coming into it's own again, and a great cruise destination.

I'm a Mancunian and never thought I'd hear myself saying stuff like this (must go and lie down in a darkened room for a bit..)!!:eek:

We'll be travelling up from Staffordshire for 0700 next Sunday 16th Aug to see Crown Princess sail in and will spend the day in the city.

I am happy to reciprocate those feelings. I was having exactly that same conversation with a friend at the golf club today. I like Manchester too. It is a vibrant city. Very different to Liverpool, largely because of its geography, but nonetheless a great city. I don't go in for all this BS between the football supporters.

I too will be around the Pier Head waiting for the ship at 7am, as we want to get off to golf as soon as the ship allows the pax to diisembark. Maybe I'll see you. :)

Red 09 BMW - lets hope the weather holds!!

Rather distinctive Lincoln Towncar (Hence the screen name).Probably parking between the Liver and Cunard Buildings, as I think there'll be lots of buses and taxis waiting near to the quay. :)

Towncar T - thanks for all your helpful info. We'll be in Liverpool Aug. 31 aboard the Prinsendam. Another question: how close to the dock is the HOHO stop? We often take the HOHO bus first to get acquainted with a city's layout, then walk back to interesting sights.

Also, do you think there will be lots more tourists because of the Beatles Festival?

(I loved my Lincoln Towncar that I drove for years, but had to sell when we moved into a new house and the garage wasn't big enough. It's a great defensive car here in Florida with the many senior drivers).

Brigitte

Edited by toots

Towncar T - thanks for all your helpful info. We'll be in Liverpool Aug. 31 aboard the Prinsendam. Another question: how close to the dock is the HOHO stop? We often take the HOHO bus first to get acquainted with a city's layout, then walk back to interesting sights.

Also, do you think there will be lots more tourists because of the Beatles Festival?

(I loved my Lincoln Towncar that I drove for years, but had to sell when we moved into a new house and the garage wasn't big enough. It's a great defensive car here in Florida with the many senior drivers).

Brigitte

The HoHo bus stops right outside the Liver Buildings, which is the big building right in front of where you get off the ship. You can't miss the it. It's right there as you come off the ship, about a minute's walk from the top of the gangway:)

Possibly more tourists, but not so many as to make it uncomfortable in my view. Enjoy your visit! T:)

Hi Stuart. Nice to meet you and Sue this morning. The golf went well and the weather was kind to us. More importantly, England took the spoils in this mini Ryder Cup and a nice crisp 5 dollar bill now resides in my pocket!!:D

Hope to bump into you again sometime, and I also hope you enjoyed the rest of your day in 'The Pool.' T:)

Hi Stuart. Nice to meet you and Sue this morning. The golf went well and the weather was kind to us. More importantly, England took the spoils in this mini Ryder Cup and a nice crisp 5 dollar bill now resides in my pocket!!:D

Hope to bump into you again sometime, and I also hope you enjoyed the rest of your day in 'The Pool.' T:)

Mutual!

Well done on your mini Ryder Cup win!

• 5 weeks later...
Towncar T

Just want to thank you for all the great info that you have posted. We will be on the crown Princess next July and have planned out our day in Liverpool around your information:D

great job, thanks!!

Walter

No problem Walter. Just keep popping in on this thread and we'll do our best to help.

Keep NJ warm. We'll be there in a few weeks' time.

T