• See a soccer game
    • Visit the surrounding countryside
    • Beatles stuff
    • Shopping
    • Hop On Hop Off Bus Tour
    • Williamson Tunnels
    • Research Family History
    • Other - Please post details

They're not all men. They're a couple with two lively teenagers as I recall. The places you mention are all really nice, but probably more suited to a nice dinner than a quick family lunch. Probably best to wait until Margalit tells us what sort of food they want and then we can work something out for them.:)

Yes, you are probably right, and as you have met them you will have more idea of their tastes than I. Maybe a quick bite at the Phil would suit?

PS Tom,

Sorry to hear you got sick on the trip,hopefully you still watched part of the crossing.

Did you guys stop in Nicaragua:mad:- like the Coral?

That must have been the worst stop ever-we got to witness an anti american protest,were on a minibus with no seatbelts and a flat tire on a busy highway and had quite a scare when we heard war sirens going off..apparently that's their signal to go to lunch at midday!

PS Tom,

Sorry to hear you got sick on the trip,hopefully you still watched part of the crossing.

Did you guys stop in Nicaragua:mad:- like the Coral?

That must have been the worst stop ever-we got to witness an anti american protest,were on a minibus with no seatbelts and a flat tire on a busy highway and had quite a scare when we heard war sirens going off..apparently that's their signal to go to lunch at midday!

I wasn't sick so bad that I didn't enjoy the trip and I thoroughly enjoyed the crossing. It was the highlight of the cruise. I did manage to fall asleep on the boat tour of Acapulco because I wasn't well. Fortunately, it was after we saw the cliff divers. I was out for the count for about an hour.

No we didn't stop in Nicaragua. Mainly Mexico and Costa Rica on the Pacific side and Aruba on the Atlantic side.

If it's fish and chips you want you can choose from tons of places. Quite honestly I don't think you'll have any problem finding somewhere when you are on your travels. If you find yourself in Liverpool One shopping centre I believe there are a lot of decent restaurants there.

I'll see if anything stands out. It's six months before you need to decide.:)

Hi Tom, thanks for posting on our July 17 roll. We are looking forward to our day in Liverpool.

Walter

Hiya Walter. Hope the weather is kind to you. One other good thing about visiting Liverpool is that many of the attractions are indoors or under cover so you can enjoy them whatever the weather. Better if the sun's shining though!

A day in North Wales can be lovely, but if it rains then it puts a real dampener on the day, especially if you've paid out a good few bucks.:)

Hiya Walter. Hope the weather is kind to you. One other good thing about visiting Liverpool is that many of the attractions are indoors or under cover so you can enjoy them whatever the weather. Better if the sun's shining though!

A day in North Wales can be lovely, but if it rains then it puts a real dampener on the day, especially if you've paid out a good few bucks.:)

We know well your weather and will be ready for anything:eek: Years ago we drove all over but bypassed your fair city so will make up for that mistake this time:D

Walter

• 4 weeks later...

If I get a chance before cruising season starts, I am going to try to actually 'walk in the shoes' of a cruise-ship visitor to Liverpool. I believe that the cruise ships are having to sail at 5pm this season, rather than 7pm like last year (Maybe because of the tides?). I am going to see how much I can do starting at the cruise terminal at 10am and getting back on board no later than 4pm. I will probably do it one day during the Easter break. Watch this space!!

This is an excellent thread. I have many ties to Liverpool (family is from there) and have visited many many times. Being a former season ticket holder at Anfield helped with that.

Last October I brought my wife and youngest kids to Liverpool and actually had to plan the visit through the eyes of a tourist rather than a visitor (especially as I have been living abroad for 10 years). The information given out on this thread is excellent. I highly recommend the Maritime museum and the Slavery museum in the same area. I only spend 3 hours there but could have easily doubled that. Albert Dock is a great place to walk around and catch a bite to eat. Plenty of places to eat. I have heard that the Tate is not only good to visit but also to eat at their café.

If you are interested in football then the tour of Anfield and the museum there is fascinating (OK – I’m biased). Great chance to see one of the bastions of football and the trophies they have won!

Keep up the good work!

• 1 month later...

:)OK. Cruise season is fast approaching, so I'm expecting you first-time visitors to Liverpool will have plenty of questions. Fire away and we'll do our best to make your stay in our city the most memorable of your cruise, for all the right reasons.:)

There are a few 'locals' who read the posts on this thread, so between us we should be able to get whatever information you need.

We are going to be on the Crown Princess coming into port at Liverpool on June 27th. It looks like this is the day of the Triathlon. Apparently some of the tours itineries will not be offered such as the Beatles tour which is the one we wanted to take. Does anyone know if the Triathlon affect being able to do our own walking tour?

We are going to be on the Crown Princess coming into port at Liverpool on June 27th. It looks like this is the day of the Triathlon. Apparently some of the tours itineries will not be offered such as the Beatles tour which is the one we wanted to take. Does anyone know if the Triathlon affect being able to do our own walking tour?

It will affect it, but it certainly won't stop you doing it. The area around Albert Dock and the waterfront will be very busy but outside that immediate area it should just be a normal day. If you want to organise a private tour then I'm sure that the driver will make arrangements to pick you up beyond the area of the triathlon. It would only mean a walk of something like a few hundred yards. There are many reputable companies that offer Beatles tours if the ship isn't running them. Just google it and you'll find lots. I'm happy to help out if you need a hand. You'll get by with a little help from your (CC) friends!

Here's a link to the triathlon site if anyone is interested.

http://www.liverpooltriathlon.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=10:admin&catid=3:admin&Itemid=13

Edited by Towncar T

• 2 weeks later...

What about the Hop on Hop off Bus route for the Beatles Tour? Do you think they will be running their regular route with the Triathalon going on June 27th? I could not find any contact info to contact them to see it they will be running a Beatles route that day.

What about the Hop on Hop off Bus route for the Beatles Tour? Do you think they will be running their regular route with the Triathalon going on June 27th? I could not find any contact info to contact them to see it they will be running a Beatles route that day.

Looking at the triathlon route, I can't see how they could possibly do the same route, as part of their route is closed off. No doubt they will still be running though, especially as a cruise ship is in town. Probably just a small route change. I will try to contact the company for you and post the answer on here in a few days' time.:)

Just one thing though. I wasn't aware that the HoHo bus did a special Beatles route. Do you actually mean the HoHo bus or a special Beatles tour?

Here's a link to their page with a Liverpool telephone number for enquiries for anyone that wants more information

http://www.city-sightseeing.com/index.phtml

Edited by Towncar T

If I get a chance before cruising season starts, I am going to try to actually 'walk in the shoes' of a cruise-ship visitor to Liverpool. I believe that the cruise ships are having to sail at 5pm this season, rather than 7pm like last year (Maybe because of the tides?). I am going to see how much I can do starting at the cruise terminal at 10am and getting back on board no later than 4pm. I will probably do it one day during the Easter break. Watch this space!!

Our itinerary for the Crown Princess docked in Liverpool 7/21 lists 7 PM as departure time.

I thought I saw on another thread someone mentioned the HOHO bus tour of the Beatles. Do you know if the HOHO bus covers Beatle stuff. I do have some tour info on doing just a Beatles tour but I thought the HOHO bus would be a good way to see a variety of things. My son really wants to see anything on the Beatles.

I thought I saw on another thread someone mentioned the HOHO bus tour of the Beatles. Do you know if the HOHO bus covers Beatle stuff. I do have some tour info on doing just a Beatles tour but I thought the HOHO bus would be a good way to see a variety of things. My son really wants to see anything on the Beatles.

If you click on the link above it will tell you all about where it goes etc. It's not Beatles-themed and is basically just a way of getting around the city centre and some of the main sights. If you want a Beatles tour you would be better off going with a specific Beatles-themed tour company. There are lots of them out there if you just google it. Don't leave it much longer though. They get filled up when the big ships are in town.:)

Thanks so much for all the helpful info---we will be visiting Liverpool on Aug. 26th (Crown Princess) and looking forward to it!

Hope you enjoy your day in 'The Pool.' That's my dad's birthday and we sent him off on his last voyage from the Mersey back in 2006. Raise a glass to him as you sail away.:)

Hope you enjoy your day in 'The Pool.' That's my dad's birthday and we sent him off on his last voyage from the Mersey back in 2006. Raise a glass to him as you sail away.:)

Will do! Dh's mother was from Waterloo so he is very much looking forward to seeing the area.

Will do! Dh's mother was from Waterloo so he is very much looking forward to seeing the area.

Waterloo is only about 15-20 minutes from your dock in a taxi. Some perts of it are very well-to-do and some are very ordinary, but you could make the trip very easily and not lose much of your day. If you want any info then just ask.:)

Towncar T,

Thanks for all of the information. Would you have any thoughts on how difficult is would be to get from Liverpool to Sheffeld and back in one day? I am a big user of Sheffeld steel wood lathe tools. This is probably a long shot from a timing standpoint, not to mention my wife's likely objection, but I would love to visit the Robert Sorby factory.

Towncar T,

I have enjoyed reading your helpful posts. I have a question...would you be able to give directions for getting to Speke Hall via bus? I don't really understand the directions on the National Trust site for Speke Hall. We are traveling on the Crown Princess in June.

Thanks,

Lisa

Towncar T,

I have enjoyed reading your helpful posts. I have a question...would you be able to give directions for getting to Speke Hall via bus? I don't really understand the directions on the National Trust site for Speke Hall. We are traveling on the Crown Princess in June.

Thanks,

Lisa

Yes I will definitely be able to do that. It is really easy to do, as Speke Hall is right next door to Liverpool airport. I will make enquiries and get the information for you, unless someone beats me to it!:)

I'm really glad you are visiting there, as it really is an undervisited gem. Look out for Adam and Eve. You'll know what I mean.;)