Solo Cozumel

MoYerclan

My husband has signed up for the dolphin swim through the shore excursions, but I'm not interested in that. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions (or perhaps warnings against?) for things to do or see on my own?

Unusual or off the beaten trail ideas very welcome.

Thanks in advance :)

My husband has signed up for the dolphin swim through the shore excursions, but I'm not interested in that. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions (or perhaps warnings against?) for things to do or see on my own?

Unusual or off the beaten trail ideas very welcome.

Thanks in advance :)

You need not worry about safety in Cozumel. I would suggest taking a stroll and going to the Mercado on the corner of Salas and Ave 20, which is about 4 blocks in from the Main square and a bit to the right. :)

"You need not worry about safety in Cozumel" Is blatantly false, it doesn't matter what city you place at the end of that sentence, no matter where you go , you HAVE to worry about being safe. Just a fact in today's world that violence can happen against anyone at anytime anywhere.

Now, I have been to Cozumel at least 10 times and have never been injured, threatened, robbed or beaten. Use common sense, be aware of your surroundings and there is a 99.9999999% chance that you'll survive your trip as well.

Things to be wary of: The sun, timeshare salesmen, too much tequila and shopping after too much tequila (You may forget to haggle).

Find a group with. which to share a tour of the island. See the ruins at San Gervasio, the beaches of the east side of the island, leave your bra at Coconuts and buy a palm frond hat or basket from the beach vendors.

I have a standing joke that Cozumel is one of the few ports that we cruise to (and we have gone there as many as 4 to 5 times a year) that I could walk naked through town at midnight and no one would bother me.

Now that is either because it is really safe...or because I am really ugly...I prefer to think it is the former...LOL

As stated earlier...of course, common sense must prevail....but my special needs son and I walk through Cozumel all the time without the least bit of hesitation.

I have strolled the streets of Cozumel more than once all by myself.

If you are lucky enough to dock at Punta Langosta.... then walking around town won't even cost you a taxi ride.

If you dock at International or Puerta Maya...then it will be a $7 taxi ride..one way for up to 4 people.

Food and water in the restaurants are safe. They used purified water (even in their ice).

Enjoy!!!

Totally missing the point. Cozumel is a very safe place. There is nothing blatantly incorrect or wrong about encouraging someone to explore.

If you have no common sense, you don't belong anywhere near your front door, however I choose to assume that the OP has some common sense.

Mo, please enjoy your adventures in Cozumel!!

Cozumel is one of the safest place in the world. If you want somehting unique and different from what you can do at other ports, you can take the Discover Mexico + Chankanaab tour and then join your husband at Chankanaab Park where he will most likely do his dolphin swim. This article I found in a babyboomers magazine sums it up pretty well:

we chose Discover

Mexico, a five hour option, for $69/person, that

included a folk art museum, a sophisticated largescreen

video presentation heralding the best of

Mexico, a snack-drink offering and a wonderfully

historic park-like tour of intricate scale models of

all the famous pyramids, temples and castles for the

Mayan, Aztec and Olmec civilizations.

The guide, a lovely articulate and enthusiastic

college graduate, Ms. Vivero, was filled with facts

and figures about everyminiature building, including

some model structures over eight feet high. She

pointed out that human sacrificewas amost common

part of all religious festivities and stressed that it

was an honor to be sacrificed. (Sound familiar?)

We call it terrorism!

The gift shop was filled with original, colorful

arts and crafts where bargaining was common, so

the prices ended up being extremely fair. After a

snack,wewerewhisked off to thewarm, clearwaters

of the Gulf of Mexico and beach games.

The beachfront private park was an impressive

array of dive shops, snack bars, a real waterfront

restaurant and grass roofed shelters with lounges

and bar service and lots of beach. Snorkel equipment

and elementary instructions were issued and

away we went, down some slightly slippery rock

stairs into the kingdom of fish, large and small.

The water was a little choppy so the swimming

was slightly demanding. Some folks went to the bar

to celebrate...life!

Archived