This may seem frivolous, but...

Twickenham

My mother is allergic to feathers, so whenever we stay at a hotel, we always request non-feather pillows. Recently, we stayed at a La Quinta before our cruise, and when they arrived, not only did they not have non-feather pillows in the room, they stated that there were no non-feather pillows available at all in the hotel! In the end, the situation was resolved satisfactorily (we purchased pillows and were reimbursed, and got a free night to boot), but not before much agravation.

Now, just briefly researching the ADA on the 'net, I believe I read that allergies were considered as being disabilities. My question, considering this, would a hotel not be required to at least have some non-feather pillows available? This is the first time this has happened to me; I mean really, who would expect a La Quinta to have only feather pillows???

My mother is allergic to feathers, so whenever we stay at a hotel, we always request non-feather pillows. Recently, we stayed at a La Quinta before our cruise, and when they arrived, not only did they not have non-feather pillows in the room, they stated that there were no non-feather pillows available at all in the hotel! In the end, the situation was resolved satisfactorily (we purchased pillows and were reimbursed, and got a free night to boot), but not before much agravation.

Now, just briefly researching the ADA on the 'net, I believe I read that allergies were considered as being disabilities. My question, considering this, would a hotel not be required to at least have some non-feather pillows available? This is the first time this has happened to me; I mean really, who would expect a La Quinta to have only feather pillows???

They accommodated your mother's disability by reimbursing you for the pillows...AND gave you a free night. What more would you expect?

Sure, it would have been nice to have nonallergenic pillows, especially when you asked in advance, but the situation was resolved. I don't think you have anything further to expect.

Generally, from what I understand it is only considered a disability when combined with other conditions, particularly asthma or bronchitis. A disability is defined as something that would prevent you from earning a living above a certain threshold.

I'm actually surprised that a hotel would actually have feather pillows. As some people on here already know, I run a B&B and all my pillows are hypoallergenic. In fact, we ask guest for their allergies/dietary concerns before they arrive so that I can make sure that I accommodate them, as best as I can.

I know of a B&B in town that boasts of it's "feather beds" and I was surprised... I just didn't understand why someone would put something on the bed that so many people are allergic to.

Despite what the AAFA will tell you, allergies are generally not considered disabilities. Look up Land v. Baptist Medical Center and Robinson v. Morgan Stanley for examples of precedent where ADA claims for allergies have been rejected.

They accommodated your mother's disability by reimbursing you for the pillows...AND gave you a free night. What more would you expect?

Sure, it would have been nice to have nonallergenic pillows, especially when you asked in advance, but the situation was resolved. I don't think you have anything further to expect.

Oh, I don't expect anything more from them. I feel the resolution more than adequate and fair. My point is to prevent a similar situation from happening again. I mean, it was resolved, but it took 2 hours and a lot of running around at midnight on New Year's Eve to get there. I thought I had gone beyond having to fight for hypo-allergenic pillows, but apparently not...:rolleyes:

I'm actually surprised that a hotel would actually have feather pillows. As some people on here already know, I run a B&B and all my pillows are hypoallergenic. In fact, we ask guest for their allergies/dietary concerns before they arrive so that I can make sure that I accommodate them, as best as I can.

I know of a B&B in town that boasts of it's "feather beds" and I was surprised... I just didn't understand why someone would put something on the bed that so many people are allergic to.

That's really my point. I mean, this is a La Quinta, for goodness sakes! We're not talking a luxury hotel... It seems such a pointless expense for them to have all feather pillows, unless there's a powerful down lobby in the US pushing the feather pillow industry...

I've learned not to expect anything like that when I travel. I'm allergic to laundry detergent that is scented or dyed. I travel with my own linens and towels because I do not expect a hotel (or cruiseship) to wash something separately for me. Even with my own linens, I call ahead to make sure they know I doing so and I ask to meet with Housekeeping so they know those linens are mine. I also bring sheets with a distinctive pattern so they stand out as not hotel issue. My allergy, although not life threatening, is so bad that I got a head to toe rash from the sheets in a hospital.

I don't think most allergies would be covered under ADA. I think the only way an allergy would be considered a disability is if it severely hampers you in having a normal life ie: you couldn't leave your home because of it. An allergy to feathers is easily handled by simply bringing your own pillow. Many people travel with their own pillows due to either allergies or the comfort factor.

Archived