Brilliance/RCL vs. Jade/NCL Egypt & Eastern Med 12 Nt

bheals1

I am trying to decide between the two Mediterranean cruises and I need advice. I have only cruised RCL, but the NCL cruise is considerably less expensive. We prefer anytime/freestyle dining. When it is traditional dining, we tend to make it anytime dining by going to the buffet or specialty restaurants. The main reason we picked the two is because of the overnight in Egypt. Below are the ports. We have been to Rome and Sicily.

Thank you

Brilliance 11/18

Barcelona, sea day , Malta, sea day, Alexandria, Port Said, Cyprus, Rhodes, Athens, sea day, Sicily, sea day, Barcelona

Jade 11/26

Barcelona, sea day, Rome, sea day, Athens, Ephesus, sea day, Alexandria, Alexandria, sea day, Malta, sea day, Barcelona

I ve taken both RC and NCL. I prefer NCL because of freestyle alone. The food is similar. The on board activities are similar and if the price was less, it for me would be a no brainer and since the Jade is a relatively new ship....

I can't really address the issue of the ships, but based on the itineraries, I'd pick NCL because it goes to Ephesus, which IMHO is an outstanding port to visit.

The only other thing I'd advise is to check the port times in Egypt -- make sure you are getting two FULL days in port there. Sometimes one ship or another will short the time a bit, and you really need the full amount.

I can't really address the issue of the ships, but based on the itineraries, I'd pick NCL because it goes to Ephesus, which IMHO is an outstanding port to visit.

The only other thing I'd advise is to check the port times in Egypt -- make sure you are getting two FULL days in port there. Sometimes one ship or another will short the time a bit, and you really need the full amount.

I think the RC ship does one day in Alex and then on to Port Said. Yoy can leave at Alex and get back on at Port Said. They are about the same time from Cairo(Port Said is a little closer actually)...

I think the RC ship does one day in Alex and then on to Port Said. Yoy can leave at Alex and get back on at Port Said. They are about the same time from Cairo(Port Said is a little closer actually)...

Yes, I'm aware of that. I was more concerned about actual timing, because I've seen some ships departing from the final Egyptain port (be it Port Said or Alex) by early to mid afternoon, whereas others give you until evening to be back on board. If you have to depart Cairo to be back on board by 2pm, you really cut short your time there.

Hi there,

I just did the NCL Eastern Med in January - if you choose to do an overnight excursion in Cairo, you'll get plenty of time to see everything: they are very long days, starting at about 7/8am on the 1st day in port, driving to Cairo and staying overnight, you'll then start again early in the am in Cairo, do a lot more touring and then head back around 2pm (as it's a 3 hour drive one way). You won't feel at all like you've missed out.

You can also do a full day in Cairo (12 hours, 6 of which are driving through the Sahara - this is what we did and honestly for us, this was more than enough in Cairo) then another full day in Alexandria the next day if you choose.

Several folks we knew did both versions (both with private tours and with cruise tours) and thoroughly enjoyed them both.

• 2 weeks later...

We just did the Jade, and I would highly recomment their itinerary. Our on board time in Alexandria in the second day was 4:30. The Jade is a newer ship and is in very good shape. We were pleased with the Freestyle program (not so on some other previous NCL ships) The Blue Lagoon is a welcome addition (sit down 24 hour service, varied casual menu, no additional charge).

Archived