Cashing travellers cheques on board

Jack1

I know we have done it on Celebrity but if we bring Euro travellers cheques on board Azamara, can the bank or purser's office cash these for Euros? We could use our debit card while in Europe but I don't want to have to worry about where to get to a machine and if it will work or not. I know these travellers cheques are going the way of the dinosaur but we don't pay for purchasing these cheques because of the bank we deal with and I hate having to worry about going over daily limits etc whe dealing with plastic.

Thank you

Jack1

I am not sure but I guess you will pay over the odds if you try to cash euro TCs for euro cash on board. I think [because of the nature of FX] that they will convery to US$ cash and then back into euro cash.

Unfortunately, I think you will find that you can rarely use euro TCs in most shops and restaurants in Europe [unlike using US$ TCs in the US].

Just a suggestion, if you are worried about exceeding your credit card limits, have you considered pre-paid cards? I know they cost but, everything considered, it may work out the best for you.

Having said that, we tend to convert our currency before we leave [commission free at our bank] and carry it in cash. With the in-room safe and body holsters on the outward flights, the extra risk is low and it makes everything hassel-free.

Sue

Thanks Sue for the reply.

Celebrity does not convert travellers cheques to US$ and then to Euros if the travellers cheque is for Euros. The 2 times we sailed with Celebrity to Europe we have always cashed them at the bank(pursors desk) and they didn't charge anything and didn't have to convert as they had euros on board. Just wondering if Azamara did the same.

I know we can't cash/use TC anywhere anymore and was trying to get away with not having to carry too much cash with us. May have to rethink that idea.

Not worried about exceeding credit card limit just exceeding the daily cash allowance for withdrawal. We use debit cards alot in Canada and had planned on using this for many things.

We get a better exchange rate if we transfer currency into non-cash (travellers cheques) as opposed to cash itself so we would get more money in the exchange.

Thank you for your assistance.

Faye

Archived