No T-shirts after 5 pm?

skay

This is hilarious. On every cruise I can recall, I have seen many, many men and women in t shirts, shorts, tank tops, and sometimes swimsuit and coverup, after 5 PM. This is not just on the Lido Deck, but on the Promenade deck, in the shops, at the shows, in the karaoke lounge, etc. Carnival is a VERY casual environment.

I also saw many t shirts at dinner as well on our cruise last week, and I didn't see anyone being turned away.

I was wondering about the Lido deck in particular, since that's where the pools are, etc.

On Carnival, I wear jeans in the dining room all day long (except on Elegant night). I don't wear flip flops at night, and I try to wear nicer shirts in the evening, not T-shirts with logos etc. If there has been a problem in the past with this, no one has said so, and I have never felt out of place. Outside of Carnival themselves telling me I cannot do it, I don't see why it would bother anyone else what I wear.

I have long wondered about the constant issues on dress in the dining room. Unless they are just vulgarly dressed or dirty, what anyone else wears is their business and doesn't bother my dining experience in the least. JMO

So you would expect to see guys in jeans and T-shirts in the bars, etc. after 5 pm?

On Carnival, yes.

My last cruise was on Celebrity, and they ask that male guests wear slacks and collared shirts after 6pm except for the pool, and almost everybody respects that.

All of my Carnival cruises, however, had lots of people dressing down after the evening meal.

On Carnival, yes.

My last cruise was on Celebrity, and they ask that male guests wear slacks and collared shirts after 6pm except for the pool, and almost everybody respects that.

All of my Carnival cruises, however, had lots of people dressing down after the evening meal.

Do you have a preference? I'm just curious, as dh and I were having a discussion about this while on the Fantasy last week. I told him it might be an interesting experience to try a line that has a more stringent dress code, just to experience the differences for ourselves. He shuddered and said, "I am NOT dressing up every night on a cruise!" To him, dressing up means collared shirt and slacks. I don't see a Celebrity cruise in our future...

On Carnival, yes.

The person on the other board who said it was Carnival's recommendation posted that in some Carnival capers it did state explicitly "no shorts or resort wear after 5 pm in public areas". So that would lead me to believe that it's not just her own personal preference; she's just passing along what she'd seen in Carnival's own literature.

I always put something a little bit nicer on for dinner, but after dinner I am back in my shorts. It is SO hot in the Caribbean, even at night, that I am just not comfortable in slacks, even in the air conditioning.

Taters

Do you have a preference? I'm just curious, as dh and I were having a discussion about this while on the Fantasy last week. I told him it might be an interesting experience to try a line that has a more stringent dress code, just to experience the differences for ourselves. He shuddered and said, "I am NOT dressing up every night on a cruise!" To him, dressing up means collared shirt and slacks. I don't see a Celebrity cruise in our future...

I've had great times on Carnival, and would go on another cruise with them in a hot minute, but I have to admit that personally, I like the sense of occasion that having more people participate in the nightly dress code brings. There aren't fashion police enforcing the dress code on Celebrity, but most people on the cruise I was on did abide by the policy.

Personally, I'd feel awkward if I was one of only a few people dressed far more casually than everyone else on the ship, but it might not bother your DH. It does sound like he'd prefer the casual atmosphere of Carnival though.

That's the great thing about there being so many cruise lines. There's an option for everybody!

The person on the other board who said it was Carnival's recommendation posted that in some Carnival capers it did state explicitly "no shorts or resort wear after 5 pm in public areas". So that would lead me to believe that it's not just her own personal preference; she's just passing along what she'd seen in Carnival's own literature.

Yep.

I think the key difference is in how many people respect the request in the capers. On Carnival, there is enough of a mix of every dress style that you'd feel comfortable in just about everything any night short of super formal. On some of the other lines, you might find yourself one of only a very few people not going along with the requested guidelines.

Still, I don't imagine any of the mass market lines will kick you off the ship or make you starve if you don't dress to the guideline.

I saw a post on another board dealing with dining room attire, and someone said that after 5 pm, all men's shirts should have collars (I assume he meant no T-Shirts, tank tops, etc) when you're in any public areas of the ship. Is that a ship rule? Is that one of the unwritten etiquette rules?

There is no such rule on Carnival. From Carnival's website ...

http://www.carnival.com/CMS/FAQs/Dress_Attire.aspx

Casual attire is the order of the day. We suggest shorts, sundresses, tank tops, etc. for the ladies, and for men; shorts, polo shirts, T-shirts, etc. will do. We suggest you wear rubber-soled, low heeled or flat shoes for extra traction while onboard. The use of any footwear with wheels, including but not limited, to Heelys© shoes, is prohibited on board our ships. For dining you may want to dress up a bit and/or bring along a light sports jacket or cardigan.

Absolutely. I could see if he were just talking about the dining room, because CCL has a list of proper dining room attire, and T-shirts are out. (collared sports shirts on casual, and dress shirts on cruise elegant) But when he said no colarless shirts in ANY public area of the ship, I really wondered about that.

If you read Carnival's web site this is what it states. I don't see how the Capers could say anything else.

What to Wear?spacer.gifCasual attire is the order of the day. We suggest shorts, sundresses, tank tops, etc. for the ladies, and for men; shorts, polo shirts, T-shirts, etc. will do. We suggest you wear rubber-soled, low heeled or flat shoes for extra traction while onboard. The use of any footwear with wheels, including but not limited, to Heelys© shoes, is prohibited on board our ships. For dining you may want to dress up a bit and/or bring along a light sports jacket or cardigan.

Most evenings we have a Cruise Casual dress code, but there are those Cruise Elegant evenings one or two nights throughout your “Fun Ship” voyage, where you will have the opportunity to showcase your more elegant attire. For those who want casual attire for dinner time, the Seaview Bistro on the Lido Deck is open nightly, and has a more relaxed theme. Both dress codes for the dining rooms are described below.

Cruise Casual Dining Dress Code: Gentlemen - Sport slacks, khakis, jeans (no cut-offs), dress shorts (long), collared sport shirts; Ladies - Casual dresses, casual skirts or pants and blouses, summer dresses, Capri pants, dress shorts, jeans (no cut-offs). Not permitted in the dining room during the Cruise Casual dinner for ladies and gentlemen: gym shorts, basketball shorts, beach flip-flops, bathing suit attire, cut-off jeans, and sleeveless shirts for men.

Cruise Elegant Dining Dress Code: Gentlemen - Dress slacks, dress shirts. We also suggest a sport coat. If you wish to wear suits and ties or tuxedos, by all means we invite you to do so. Ladies - Cocktail dresses, pantsuits, elegant skirts and blouses; if you‘d like to show off your evening gowns, that's great too! Not permitted in the dining room during the Cruise Elegant dinner for ladies and gentlemen: shorts, T-shirts, beach flip-flops, bathing suit attire, jeans, cut-off jeans, sleeveless shirts for men, sportswear, and baseball hats.

I love the new Carnival dress code. I used to wear khakis and a polo shirt to the dining room most evenings (except formal night), but I love that I can now wear shorts and a polo shirt to dinner. On a Caribbean cruise, it just makes sense to me. Now if i was cruising to Alaska or the Mediterranean, I would probably wear slacks and a collared shirt.

Others have stated Carnival's 'official' dress code above. You should go to Carnival's website and read all the FAQ's and their legal info. You will be a much better informed cruiser.

Many will "learn" a rule from a previous cruise and assume that the rule applies to all ships, all cruise lines. And so they will answer an inquiry with that info. But each line has its OWN particular rules and its own particular style of enforcement of those rules.

From posters on this subject, it would seem that Carnival is more lax in DR dress codes on cruises from Texas ports. I have not done a cruise out of Texas so I have no personal knowledge if this is so or not. Carnival is NOT stringent about many/any? rules and least of all, dress codes.

Many Carnival cruisers , including me, are much more adamant about dress codes than the line itself is. I'm sort of a 'volunteer' dress cop. I ask that people themselves enforce the stated dress code as adults. Others are full bore dress cops and demand people adhere to a code that no longer exists. And some, worst of all, demand compliance with a dress code that NEVER existed on Carnival.

Another area of much misinformation is tipping procedures. EACH line has its own way of collecting and processing tips. Many will answer questions on this board with answers that apply to a different line.

Even us "know it alls," screw up on RARE occasions!!!:D

Who wears t-shirts? Seriously?

Somebody must, given how much store shelve space (on both land and sea) is devoted to displaying t-shirts. Why would the stores waste so much space if no one is buying the t-shirts. Why would someone buy a t-shirt if they don't intend to wear it? The only conclusion I can come to is, many people wear t-shirts.

If you read Carnival's web site this is what it states. I don't see how the Capers could say anything else.

What to Wear?spacer.gifCasual attire is the order of the day. We suggest shorts, sundresses, tank tops, etc. for the ladies, and for men; shorts, polo shirts, T-shirts, etc. will do. We suggest you wear rubber-soled, low heeled or flat shoes for extra traction while onboard. The use of any footwear with wheels, including but not limited, to Heelys© shoes, is prohibited on board our ships. For dining you may want to dress up a bit and/or bring along a light sports jacket or cardigan.

Most evenings we have a Cruise Casual dress code, but there are those Cruise Elegant evenings one or two nights throughout your “Fun Ship” voyage, where you will have the opportunity to showcase your more elegant attire. For those who want casual attire for dinner time, the Seaview Bistro on the Lido Deck is open nightly, and has a more relaxed theme. Both dress codes for the dining rooms are described below.

Cruise Casual Dining Dress Code: Gentlemen - Sport slacks, khakis, jeans (no cut-offs), dress shorts (long), collared sport shirts; Ladies - Casual dresses, casual skirts or pants and blouses, summer dresses, Capri pants, dress shorts, jeans (no cut-offs). Not permitted in the dining room during the Cruise Casual dinner for ladies and gentlemen: gym shorts, basketball shorts, beach flip-flops, bathing suit attire, cut-off jeans, and sleeveless shirts for men.

Cruise Elegant Dining Dress Code: Gentlemen - Dress slacks, dress shirts. We also suggest a sport coat. If you wish to wear suits and ties or tuxedos, by all means we invite you to do so. Ladies - Cocktail dresses, pantsuits, elegant skirts and blouses; if you‘d like to show off your evening gowns, that's great too! Not permitted in the dining room during the Cruise Elegant dinner for ladies and gentlemen: shorts, T-shirts, beach flip-flops, bathing suit attire, jeans, cut-off jeans, sleeveless shirts for men, sportswear, and baseball hats.

They read it on another cruise board, not the capers. Someone implied that it was a CCL guideline for collared shirts past 5pm...Skay was coming here to find out if that was true.

Edit: I see it was Grump that mentioned the capers...

They are referring to the dining room for the evening meal. You'll see plenty of t-shirts around the ship in the evening. They just don't want them in the main dining room.

Not sure who "they" are but here is the text from the Carnival website in the FAQ section for dining room dress

Cruise Casual Dining Dress Code: Gentlemen - Sport slacks' date=' khakis, jeans (no cut-offs), dress shorts (long), collared sport shirts; Ladies - Casual dresses, casual skirts or pants and blouses, summer dresses, Capri pants, dress shorts, jeans (no cut-offs). [b']Not permitted in the dining room during the Cruise Casual dinner for ladies and gentlemen: gym shorts, basketball shorts, beach flip-flops, bathing suit attire, cut-off jeans, and sleeveless shirts for men.[/b]

T-shirts are allowed for dinner on all but the Cruise Elegant nights. In fact, you will see t-shirts with designs and logos from the ports you visited that day or sometime during the cruise such as Cozumel, Playa Del Carmen, etc.

Only on cruise elegant nights are t-shirts specifically in the policy.

A fair number of mens casual and resort casual shirts do not have collars.

Just the facts... my name is not Friday :)

Not sure who "they" are but here is the text from the Carnival website in the FAQ section for dining room dress

T-shirts are allowed for dinner on all but the Cruise Elegant nights. In fact, you will see t-shirts with designs and logos from the ports you visited that day or sometime during the cruise such as Cozumel, Playa Del Carmen, etc.

Only on cruise elegant nights are t-shirts specifically in the policy.

A fair number of mens casual and resort casual shirts do not have collars.

Just the facts... my name is not Friday :)

I was addressing the OP's question about evening dress code on the ship, not dress code in the dining room. His question wasn't about the dining room.

And, cruising 2/3 times a year, I'm very aware that the Clampetts wear t-shirts in the dining room. No need to point that out.

I was addressing the OP's question about evening dress code on the ship' date=' not dress code in the dining room. His question wasn't about the dining room.

And, cruising 2/3 times a year, I'm very aware that the Clampetts wear t-shirts in the dining room. No need to point that out.[/quote']

We are platinum with Carnival and some other metal or gem on RCCL. We have never seen a dress code for evenings on the ship. More times than not the tux or suit goes back in the closet after dinner and golf shorts and polo style shirts (some even without collars :eek:) come out. I have plenty of company. When we see the capers or compass that tells us different it will be a first.

Judging someone by their clothes or perceived social status would put more of us in mangers outside the inn than on the lido deck...

Edit: I see it was Grump that mentioned the capers...

Actually, it was skay who brought up the Capers in the following post.

Just wanted to make sure the record was straight.

And I'll reiterate that, regardless of what is in the Capers or on the website, on a Carnival cruise, you will not be out of place dressed down after 5pm, nor will you be denied access to any activities. If you can find a single person who has been reprimanded by any cruise staff on a Carnival ship for dressing too informally (short of nudity, going shirtless in the formal dining room, or romping around in their underwear), I'll be shocked. :eek:

Who wears t-shirts? Seriously?

The ONLY time I wear a t-shirt is on the way to and from the pool or at the gym.

I do, got a problem with that? I don't wear then to the dining room, but during the day I wear t-shirts. At night I wear a collared polo or print shirt.

I do, got a problem with that? I don't wear then to the dining room, but during the day I wear t-shirts. At night I wear a collared polo or print shirt.

Of course not. If you want to, that's fine with me so now you don't have to worry about my approval :D

I just don't do it unless I'm at a football game or something.

Archived