Rio Dulce vs river in Belize

BonnieVA

I've heard a lot of good things about the Rio Dulce - how beautiful it is, etc. Has anyone been on both the Rio Dulce as well as the river you take to get to Lamanai in Belize? Are they very similar? We are planning on going to Lam in Belize & I'm wondering if the Rio Dulce is a must-see also or if one central American river is just like the rest.

We did both-- the Rio Dulce in my opinion is the best--it is a larger river-I recommend you use Go with Gus-- Gus is a wonderful man ( an American who is Mayan and now living in Guatemala) His humanitarian tour up the river Dulce is unbelievable and well documented on this site. I have used Gus for a tour on the other coast on the pacific side from Antigua--again a great tour. We will be in Guatemala again next November and I can not wait to see Gus to have some good food at his restaurant and talk over things over some drinks.

goggle Go with Gus for his website.

Fo Lamanai use the ships tour because it so long and you have to be tendered in. This river is small and not even remotely

as beautiful or exciting as the Rio Dulce

Big Green

We did both-- the Rio Dulce in my opinion is the best--it is a larger river-I recommend you use Go with Gus-- Gus is a wonderful man ( an American who is Mayan and now living in Guatemala) His humanitarian tour up the river Dulce is unbelievable and well documented on this site. I have used Gus for a tour on the other coast on the pacific side from Antigua--again a great tour. We will be in Guatemala again next November and I can not wait to see Gus to have some good food at his restaurant and talk over things over some drinks.

goggle Go with Gus for his website.

Fo Lamanai use the ships tour because it so long and you have to be tendered in. This river is small and not even remotely

as beautiful or exciting as the Rio Dulce

Big Green

Thanks. We're already booked w/ NCL for Lam & I've been to Gus' website a bunch of times (as well as Happy Fish's). After reading your response & someone else's it does seem that the 2 rivers would give us different experiences so I'm definitely thinking of getting on Rio Dulce w/ SOMEONE.

We and others of the family have done both trips. The trips are not the same. Totally different experience. Would recommend you do both. If i had to pick one it would be Lamanai. Would recommend you do Lamanai through ship. You can book the other in port. If you go with Gus I would ask to be on the tour he was going on personally. Tip You can negotiate price in port there are many tour companies offering this tour.

Archived