Royal Caribbean Voyager Series or Priness???

I was hoping I could get some opinions from those of you that have cruised Royal Caribbean, one of the voyager ships, and also Princess Cruise Lines. Me and my Fiancee' are really torn between which of these to pick. I would really like to go to the Caribbean on one of the Voyager Ships and he is for Princess. We are planning on getting married and it will be our wedding/honeymoon all in one cruise to the Western Caribbean! We just got back from Mexico on the Norwegian Star and had a wonderful time, it was our first cruise, but I really think I want to try a different line (Not that I didn't like NCL) I just really want to try other lines and find our favorite! :)

First of all, Congratulations! I have sailed on both, and in fact my wife and I were married on the Grand Pricess Jan. 1, 2002. At the time, it was to only ship that would perform weddings at sea(others would do it in port before the voyage). Since then, we have sailed on the Explorer of the Seas. For my money, I would go with RCCL. For some reason, Princess never lived up to what I had expected. At the time, it was my 2nd cruise, and I have been on 2 since(1 Carnival, 1 RCCL) and I really like RCCL. The wait staff was incredible, the Voyager class are one of a kind, the food very good, and there is something about coming into port where other ships are and towering over them!(Maybe a guy thing).

The one cool thing about the Grand Princess was the night-club(Skywalkers), which was located in the tail of the ship. A wonderful view.

As you will read throughout these boards, any cruise is a great cruise, but if it were me, I would go with a Voyager-Class RCCL. I can't wait for our next cruise, 5/1/05 on the Mariner!

Good-Luck!

I have to agree. We've sailed Princess twice and Royal Caribbean 8 times, and we always come back from a RCI cruise saying it was so much better. Not knocking Princess...beautiful ships but we've always met more people we enjoy on RCI....We've sailed Explorer and Navigator and love them both....

If I could take anytime dining from Princess and mix it with everything else I love about RCI...I would have the perfect cruise....too bad its not a perfect world.

I am planning a wedding on Princess right now (Jan 05) and debated between the two as well. We chose Princess because they are the only cruiseline that can legally marry you at sea (vs. in port). I have both brochures for their wedding packages if you want to compare their wedding options. Email me if you'd like a copy at cepausm@bellsouth.net I would be happy to share. Good Luck. :)

First of all, Congratulations! I have sailed on both, and in fact my wife and I were married on the Grand Pricess Jan. 1, 2002. At the time, it was to only ship that would perform weddings at sea(others would do it in port before the voyage). Since then, we have sailed on the Explorer of the Seas. For my money, I would go with RCCL. For some reason, Princess never lived up to what I had expected. At the time, it was my 2nd cruise, and I have been on 2 since(1 Carnival, 1 RCCL) and I really like RCCL. The wait staff was incredible, the Voyager class are one of a kind, the food very good, and there is something about coming into port where other ships are and towering over them!(Maybe a guy thing).

The one cool thing about the Grand Princess was the night-club(Skywalkers), which was located in the tail of the ship. A wonderful view.

As you will read throughout these boards, any cruise is a great cruise, but if it were me, I would go with a Voyager-Class RCCL. I can't wait for our next cruise, 5/1/05 on the Mariner!

Good-Luck!

Thanks for your reply! I really hope I can convince my fiancee' that Royal Caribbean is the way to go, it sounds SO much funner to me than Princess. The only thing is I wish Royal Caribbean could marry you at sea. I think that is what he really wants and I think that is mainly why he wants to sail princess. Also, he thinks that Royal Caribbean will be crowded because the Voyager has room for lots of people! Does it seem over crowded??

Thanks everybody for your replies!!! I really hope me and my fiancee' can both come to agree on the same cruise line!

Kadiebug...you have mail :)

What did everybody like better about Royal Caribbean than on Princess and vice versa????? :)

I've gone on both, Golden Princess and the Navagator of the Seas.

Princess: Was quieter cruise,( which we neded from our busy lives at that time), much more down time for relaxing etc. Fresh water pools, better baloncies on Carbie deck, they hold 2 lounge chairs.They do take care of their brides as I saw a couple being photo. all over the ship! I also agree, loved Skywalkers bar and anytime dinning. The lunch buffet was better than RCI. Downs: it was VERY quiet at night!! Not much happening as far as night life.

RCI: Still a very nice ship, lots to do, rockclimbing, ice skateing etc.

Dinners were a little better than (P). More to do in the evening. If you like to go this is your ship!

I like both ships and would sail either one again.

I've gone on both, Golden Princess and the Navagator of the Seas.

Princess: Was quieter cruise,( which we neded from our busy lives at that time), much more down time for relaxing etc. Fresh water pools, better baloncies on Carbie deck, they hold 2 lounge chairs.They do take care of their brides as I saw a couple being photo. all over the ship! I also agree, loved Skywalkers bar and anytime dinning. The lunch buffet was better than RCI. Downs: it was VERY quiet at night!! Not much happening as far as night life.

RCI: Still a very nice ship, lots to do, rockclimbing, ice skateing etc.

Dinners were a little better than (P). More to do in the evening. If you like to go this is your ship!

I like both ships and would sail either one again.

That is kind of weird...salt water in the pools on RC??? When you were on RC did you think it was crowded????

We just cruised NCL's Star and we loved the anytime dining on there as well, it sounds like Princess is similar in that aspect. Do they have set seating partners??? On the Star we could get a table for two easily if we asked..:)

Thanks for your reply! I really hope I can convince my fiancee' that Royal Caribbean is the way to go, it sounds SO much funner to me than Princess. The only thing is I wish Royal Caribbean could marry you at sea. I think that is what he really wants and I think that is mainly why he wants to sail princess. Also, he thinks that Royal Caribbean will be crowded because the Voyager has room for lots of people! Does it seem over crowded??

I thought that Princess was still the only one, but wasn't sure. I will say that Princess treated me and my wife wonderfully during the whole wedding process. We got married on the Tuesday of the cruise(because you have to be at sea in International waters at the time). We then were taken throughout the ship and had pictures taken with one of the cruise photographers. Depending on the package you get, you then can sift through all the pics. She took indoor/outdoor/color/B&W, everything. And becuase at the time the Grand Princess was newer, we actually were married by the Commodore of the fleet. I guess the Grand was his favorite ship, and sailed her often.

Another nice thing was the wedding was filmed on a webcam, so our friends that could not make it were able to watch over the internet.

All that being said, I prefer RCCL for the actual cruise vacation. At no time did I feel crowded on the Explorer, and with so much to do, you'll never feel bored(unless you want too!:p )

Hope this helps!

-John

Hello,

I got married on the Grand Princess in 2000. It is elegant, that is the word I would use. For $2400 the bride gets a "pampering package", wedding planner,String quartet, flowers, photographer, ceremony, cake (small), video taping of your wedding (4 copies) and champagne. It was beautiful. I had a tough time choosing between a large wedding and an intimate wedding. I am so thankful I did this. I enjoyed every minute of it. The staff was wonderful and I would highly recommend it. The chapel was really nice. I was afraid it would be chessy, but I thought it looked great. They decorate with fresh flowers everyday in the chapel. The only thing is RCCL might have a better nightlife on the ship. Princess was pretty quiet, but if your ceremony is the main thing I would go with Princess. You can alway party on another cruise. You only get married once. Take Care!!

That is kind of weird...salt water in the pools on RC??? When you were on RC did you think it was crowded????

We just cruised NCL's Star and we loved the anytime dining on there as well, it sounds like Princess is similar in that aspect. Do they have set seating partners??? On the Star we could get a table for two easily if we asked..:)

1) NCL offers free style cruising

2) Princess offers both: you can have permanent table with tablemates or

you can choose free style.

3) RCI, Celebrity, HAL and many other lines don't offer free style dining at all but you can use buffets if you don't want to dine in dining room.

And yes it's salt water on RCI ships. (Which I LOVE! It's very difficult to keep fresh water pools "fresh" with 2000+ PAX on the ship!)

Happy cruise whatever you pick!!!

I just wanted to add a comment about feeling crowded on a Voyager class ship. Other than the "Life Jacket Drill" where you all stand in formation with a large crowd, I've never felt crowded at all. The elevators can back up at peak times but that can happen on any class of ship.

And to be honest the large Princess ships don't have that many less passengers.

I can't comment yet on the comparison though because our 1st Princess cruise is next fall. I'll have five Voyager class cruises completed by then and looking forward to the Personal Choice dining.

Archived