Jerk Chicken

300EXPRESS

I've never been to Jamaica....forgive me but what exactly is jerk chicken? Is it spicy I'm assuming?

I do not care for spicy food - what else would be a good choice for lunch during our visit?? Any suggestions??

Also, is the food safe to eat there? I'm afraid of getting sick afterwards from it? Has anyone ever gotten sick?

Where's a good or not-so-good place to eat? We will be with Marva Shaw during our visit.

Thanks!

I've never been to Jamaica....forgive me but what exactly is jerk chicken? Is it spicy I'm assuming?

Jerk usually refers to the marinade applied to grilled food. A major flavor ingredient in Jerk is the scotch bonnet pepper....yes we're talking hot.

"TRADITIONAL JERK SEASONING

Jerk is a hot, spicy, uniquely Jamaican seasoning developed over centuries. Traditional jerking is a method of cooking highly spiced meat slowly in a fire-pit of pimento wood, a charcoal barbeque is a good alternative. The combination of scallions, hot peppers and aromatic spices in this product gives an unforgettable flavour to poultry, meats & fish.

"

I do not care for spicy food - what else would be a good choice for lunch during our visit?? Any suggestions??

Most Jamacian food that I've had is a wee bit spicy. Look for some basic grilled fish or chicken. Maybe a "meat patty" but those can be spicy too....

Also, is the food safe to eat there? I'm afraid of getting sick afterwards from it? Has anyone ever gotten sick?

Where's a good or not-so-good place to eat? We will be with Marva Shaw during our visit.

Stay away from street vendors but beyond that warning I've eaten island food for years with no more problems then I have in New York.

We went with Marva while we were there too and she took us to a local jerk shack for lunch. I can't stand spicy food either, but I didn't find it too bad. We got a big combo style meal and shared. Not something I would eat everyday, but not like jalapeno hot and spicy. We didn't get sick from the food-it was pretty good and alot of fun. It is just an open air restaurant where the locals hang out. Marva ate with us and she is wonderful! She will take great care of you and keep you safe! Have a great time.

you don't have to go to JA for jerk chicken. I'm sure there are JA restaurants in your city / town / state where you can sample it. And Yes, it's very spicy.

Heck, you can go to your local supermarket and buy a bottle of jerk seasoning.

In midland America I can believe that there are not many JA Jerk rest'

In Mid Atlantic Americas I had trouble finding one

And while I'll agree you may find sauces labeled 'jerk' in the grocery

they usually don't come close to a TRUE JA Jerk : Walkerswood

http://www.hotsauceworld.com/hsw3424.html

and a significant component of true jerk is the scotch bonnet pepper. 'dis ain't no weak a** pepper. It IS a hottie

and be advised that a local's "jerk shack" in Ocho will lay this down fairly heavy and have it sit long so it really infuses to the meat....

I can find it at my local grocery....but I'm in a part of the country with a lot of island folk.....

don't taste a mid-west jerk sauce marinade and expect to be prepared for REAL JA Jerk :eek:

My work took me to JA many many times and I LIKE hot. Walkerswood is a staple in my pantry

Archived