Aft balcony for Northbound or Southbound?

allisons

Is an aft balcony good for Northbound or Southbound? I am leaning towards aft. I feel like we'll be able to see everything that's happening on both sides from the aft. My husband disagrees. He feels like we won't see anything happening on either side, just the wake of the ship. He also feels like we won't be able to just sit in the chairs and watch, but that we'll have to stand at the railing turning to one side or the other. He is leaning towards picking a side. He feels that we'll be able to sit in the chairs and look straight out and watch. But then we have to pick a side and we will miss whatever is happening on the other side of the ship. And then we have to decide between center hump and side hump. Center hump gives a perfect view in both directions, but with a standard size balcony. Side hump has a larger balcony, but will the view be obstructed by the hump itself? Help!

(For context, we have cruised in all these types of balconies before. We just never cared so much because we were just cruising around the Caribbean. We just cared about balcony size and the chaise lounges. We just wanted to lay in the sun and watch the ocean. The only scenery was sunrises and sunsets. However, in Alaska it seems so important to get the optimal balcony for scenic viewing.)

(Here is our balcony history/future:

RCI Serenade of the Seas 1/3/04 Southern Caribbean 7-night: cabin 7600 = center hump

RCI Navigator of the Seas 1/8/05 Western Caribbean 7-night: cabin 7618 = center hump

RCI Enchantment of the Seas 1/2/06 Western Caribbean 5-night: cabin 7616 = side

RCI Legend of the Seas 1/7/06 Western Caribbean 7-night: cabin 7634 = center aft

RCI Freedom of the Seas 1/7/07 Western Caribbean 7-night: cabin 9704 = corner aft

RCI Legend of the Seas 1/6/08 Southern Caribbean 7-night: cabin 7634 = center aft

RCI Legend of the Seas 1/13/08 Southern Caribbean 7-night: cabin 7634 = center aft

RCI Voyager of the Seas 1/11/09 Western Caribbean 7-night: cabin 1688 = corner aft

RCI Mariner of the Seas 5/31/09 Mexican Riviera 7-night: cabin 1688 = corner aft

RCI Oasis of the Seas 1/2/10 Eastern Caribbean 7-night: cabin 11217 = Central Park view)

I know you're considering 2 ships for a particular date. Do you know if there are any aft balconies available for either ship? As I posted on another thread, given your ability to spend a few days in Alaska only if you do a northbound cruise, the decision for me would be to choose the NB Radiance. THEN see what balcony cabins are left.

**All of the aft balconies on Radiance are either D1's or Junior Suites - unless you want a Royal Family Suite. Looking at RCI's web site - there are no aft balconies available for the Aug. 28 NB sailing of Radiance.

NancyIL,

Thank you! Our travel agent is holding aft/hump/port/starboard, D1/E1/E2/E3, CC/2A/2B/2C, etc. cabins for us on all the cruises we are considering. I think we have 4 different cabins being held on 4 different ships. We just meed to make a decision. So, what do you think of an aft cabin on an Alaska Northbound or Southbound cruise?

Thanks,

Allison

Travel-Jen,

Thank you! I really appreciate your response! I agree with you about the entire port vs. starboard issue. However, what do you think of an aft cabin for Alaska? Will we be able to see land? Will we be able to see land while sitting on our balcony chairs? Or will we have to stand at the railing and turn sideways to see land? Will we only be able to see the wake of the ship while relaxing in our chairs?

Thanks,

Allison

NancyIL,

Thank you! Our travel agent is holding aft/hump/port/starboard, D1/E1/E2/E3, CC/2A/2B/2C, etc. cabins for us on all the cruises we are considering. I think we have 4 different cabins being held on 4 different ships. We just meed to make a decision. So, what do you think of an aft cabin on an Alaska Northbound or Southbound cruise?

Thanks,

Allison

I'm the wrong person to ask about a balcony in Alaska. We had obstructed oceanviews both times, and I booked an inside for my 3rd Alaska cruise. However, if it were me, I would choose the best cabin available on the northbound Radiance so you can spend a few days in Alaska post-cruise - even if that means NOT having an aft balcony. The better itinerary is more important to me than the location of any balcony.

NancyIL,

Thanks again! I really appreciate how much help you've given me on all of my different questions threads! I took your advice! I just changed my booking to the Radiance OTS Northbound on August 28th! I booked cabin 9260, which is center aft! Woo hoo!

Thanks,

Allison

NancyIL,

Thanks again! I really appreciate how much help you've given me on all of my different questions threads! I took your advice! I just changed my booking to the Radiance OTS Northbound on August 28th! I booked cabin 9260, which is center aft! Woo hoo!

Thanks,

Allison

Congratulations! I think you will enjoy your aft balcony cabin as well as your time in Seward and Anchorage. :)

NancyIL,

Thanks! Here is what we're thinking so far for Seward and Anchorage. Please tell me if we're cutting it too short. The train from Seward to Anchorage is at 6:00 p.m. So, if we get off the ship first thing in the morning and leave our bags at the train station, we can have a full day in Seward without spending the night in a hotel. The flights home from Anchorage are all red-eyes, departing at the earliest at 7:00 p.m. and even as late as 12:30 a.m. So, the day we depart Anchorage will be a full day, not a travel day. So, we could just spend the one night in Anchorage, have a full day, and then depart that night. So, here's what we're thinking:

Fri., Sept. 4th - 7:30 a.m. - leave ship, taxi to train station, check bags at train station

8:30 a.m. - 5:30 p.m. - tour Seward

6:00-10:15 p.m. - train from Seward to Anchorage

10:15 p.m. - take taxi to hotel

Sat., Sept. 5th - early morning - check out of hotel, check bags at hotel

entire day - tour Anchorage

evening - retrieve bags at hotel, take taxi to airport

late evening - fly home

Sun., Sept. 6th - late morning - arrive home

If that is not enough, do we need the extra day in Seward or in Anchorage? Should we spend Friday night in Seward, tour Seward Friday and Saturday, take the train from Seward to Anchorage on Saturday night, tour Anchorage on Sunday, and fly home Sunday night? Or should we take the train from Seward to Anchorage on Friday night, spend Friday night and Saturday night in Anchorage, tour Anchorage Saturday and Sunday, and fly home Sunday night?

Thanks,

Allison

NancyIL,

Thanks! Here is what we're thinking so far for Seward and Anchorage. Please tell me if we're cutting it too short. The train from Seward to Anchorage is at 6:00 p.m. So, if we get off the ship first thing in the morning and leave our bags at the train station, we can have a full day in Seward without spending the night in a hotel. The flights home from Anchorage are all red-eyes, departing at the earliest at 7:00 p.m. and even as late as 12:30 a.m. So, the day we depart Anchorage will be a full day, not a travel day. So, we could just spend the one night in Anchorage, have a full day, and then depart that night. So, here's what we're thinking:

Fri., Sept. 4th - 7:30 a.m. - leave ship, taxi to train station, check bags at train station

8:30 a.m. - 5:30 p.m. - tour Seward

6:00-10:15 p.m. - train from Seward to Anchorage

10:15 p.m. - take taxi to hotel

Sat., Sept. 5th - early morning - check out of hotel, check bags at hotel

entire day - tour Anchorage

evening - retrieve bags at hotel, take taxi to airport

late evening - fly home

Sun., Sept. 6th - late morning - arrive home

If that is not enough, do we need the extra day in Seward or in Anchorage? Should we spend Friday night in Seward, tour Seward Friday and Saturday, take the train from Seward to Anchorage on Saturday night, tour Anchorage on Sunday, and fly home Sunday night? Or should we take the train from Seward to Anchorage on Friday night, spend Friday night and Saturday night in Anchorage, tour Anchorage Saturday and Sunday, and fly home Sunday night?

Thanks,

Allison

If you don't have to be back at work first thing Monday morning, then I would stay in Anchorage Saturday night and take the red-eye on Sunday night. After all - you can sleep on the plane!

Whether to spend Friday night in Seward or in Anchorage depends on what you plan to do in each location. I would probably take the train to Anchorage Friday night and stay there 2 nights, then pick-up a rental car downtown on Saturday morning at Avis, Hertz, or Enterprise with a drop-off at the airport on Sunday night.

**I just remembered - that Monday is Labor Day, so definitely stay in Alaska until Sunday night!

**All of the aft balconies on Radiance are either D1's or Junior Suites - unless you want a Royal Family Suite. Looking at RCI's web site - there are no aft balconies available for the Aug. 28 NB sailing of Radiance.

The website isn't a good indication of what is actually available as they will only show a maximum of 5 cabins available at a time, and the cabins they show are those closest to the middle of the ship. It's always best to call to find out cabin availability rather than rely on the cruiseline's website.

NancyIL,

Thanks a bunch! I can't believe how much help you're giving me! Wow! I really appreciate it! I think that's what we'll do. We're looking at the Hilton Anchorage, but it's really very expensive. Any other suggestions? And any suggestions about what to do while in Anchorage? Should we take the train to Denali? Or just stay in Anchorage?

Thanks,

Allison

NancyIL,

Thanks a bunch! I can't believe how much help you're giving me! Wow! I really appreciate it! I think that's what we'll do. We're looking at the Hilton Anchorage, but it's really very expensive. Any other suggestions? And any suggestions about what to do while in Anchorage? Should we take the train to Denali? Or just stay in Anchorage?

Thanks,

Allison

You're welcome. Hotels in Alaska are expensive, whether in Seward or Anchorage.Try the Comfort Inn that's very close to the train station in Anchorage. Other options are Homewood Suites/Hilton Garden Inn/Fairfield Inn in the Midtown area.

You don't have time to go to Denali, but there's plenty to keep you occupied for 2 days around Anchorage. You could spend some time at the downtown market on Saturday or Sunday, visit the Alaska Native Heritage Center, the Museum of History and Art, take a drive to Independence Mine State Park/Hatcher Pass (beautiful scenery and a neat old mine), drive out the Glenn Highway as far as the Matanuska Glacier for a glacier trek, drive south on the Seward Highway and visit the Portage Glacier Visitor's Center and the Wildlife Conservation Center, visit Girdwood, drive to Whittier to do a Prince William Sound glacier cruise. That ought to keep you busy!

NancyIL,

Thanks once again! Wow! That sounds terrific! We can't wait! How far is the drive up to Wasila? Is there anything to do there other than bragging rights "I've actually been to Wasila"? We actually bought three guide books--Alaska by Cruise Ship, Frommer's Alaska Cruises & Port of Call 2009, and Fodor's Alaska Ports of Call 2009. Happy reading to us!

Thanks,

Allison

NancyIL,

Thanks once again! Wow! That sounds terrific! We can't wait! How far is the drive up to Wasila? Is there anything to do there other than bragging rights "I've actually been to Wasila"? We actually bought three guide books--Alaska by Cruise Ship, Frommer's Alaska Cruises & Port of Call 2009, and Fodor's Alaska Ports of Call 2009. Happy reading to us!

Thanks,

Allison

The only thing I ever do in Wasilla is go to Walmart...:D

NancyIL,

Thanks,

Allison

According to The Milepost - Wasilla is 42 miles from Anchorage. We drove through Wasilla on the way back from Denali as we headed to Hatcher Pass, but that was before everyone in the country had heard of Sarah Palin!

I really like Alaska By Cruise Ship, and I recently bought the latest edition after loaning an older edition to my cruise roommate. I prefer Frommer's Alaska by Charles Wohlforth to the "ports of call" books.

Hi. Sorry to butt in here. I can not help with the cruise or tour info but wanted to make a suggestion for the hotel if you stay in Anchorage for more then one night. Since Alaska is so expensive I ordered both the TourSaver and Northern Lights coupon books. They help with hotels (2-for-1 nights) and excursions (2-for-1 one as well). The Northern Lights is cheaper so if you only need it for a few things I would get that one.

Just wanted to make a suggestion. Hope it helps you save some $$$. I know the books are helping a lot of people save.

Lanaki,

If it would't be any trouble, could you please check if the following tours have coupons in the TourSaver and/or Northern Lights coupon books and let me know?

Juneau:

- Mendenhall Glacier helicopter tour (or other glacier helicopter tour)

- whale watching cruise

Skagway:

- White Pass Railway tour (one-way railway and one-way coach tour)

- White Pass Railway tickets (not through a tour)

Ketchikan:

- Misty Fjords floatplane flightseeing tour

- brown bear watching

Icy Straight Point:

- whale watching cruise

- brown bear search

Seward:

- Coastal Classic train from Seward to Anchorage

Anchorage:

- Hilton Anchorage

Thank you so much if you are able to look up this information for me! I would really appreciate it very much! I know it is a lot to ask, so thank you!

Thanks,

Allison

Lanaki,

Thank you! I am so gladd that you did butt in! That is a wonderful tip! We are long time Entertainment Book users, so I love that suggestion! I'm going to order them right now!

Thanks,

Allison

The TourSaver book costs $100 - so take a look at the list of their coupons and make sure the hotel/vendor will accept the coupon before you order the book. They are useful mostly for the land portion of the trip, although there are a few coupons that one could use on the cruise. The Northern Lights book is about half the price of the TourSaver - so look at coupons in both books.

http://www.toursaver.com

http://www.alaska-discounts.com/

*I take that back - there is a whale watching one in TourSaver: http://www.toursaver.com/index.php/alaska-deals/

NancyIL,

Thanks very much! Again! I already found both the websites and saw some example lists of coupons. I didn't find comprehensive specific coupon information. I was hoping someone with the books could check for me. I will revisit the sites and try again.

Thanks,

Alliso

Lanaki,

If it would't be any trouble, could you please check if the following tours have coupons in the TourSaver and/or Northern Lights coupon books and let me know?

Juneau:

- Mendenhall Glacier helicopter tour (or other glacier helicopter tour)

- whale watching cruise

TourSaver: Menenhall, NO. Whale Watching, YES (Alaska Whale Watching)

Northern Lights: Mendenhall, NO. Whale Watching: Sea Kayaking w/whales, YES, Glacier Bay Whale Watching & Dinner Tour, YES

Skagway:

- White Pass Railway tour (one-way railway and one-way coach tour)

- White Pass Railway tickets (not through a tour)

TourSaver: NO

Northern Lights:NO

Ketchikan:

- Misty Fjords floatplane flightseeing tour

- brown bear watching

TourSaver: Misty Fjords by boat, YES, by plane, NO. Brown bears, NO

Northern Lights: NO

Icy Straight Point:

- whale watching cruise

- brown bear search

TourSaver: Neither, from what I can tell.

Northern Lights: Neither, from what I can tell.

Seward:

- Coastal Classic train from Seward to Anchorage

Anchorage:

- Hilton Anchorage

Thank you so much if you are able to look up this information for me! I would really appreciate it very much! I know it is a lot to ask, so thank you!

Thanks,

Allison

You are welcome. I can not guarantee the results. I might have missed something. They do have some really good coupons for other hotels (especially in Denali) and other excursions (including flight seeing and some glacier landings). I would only purchase one. I found that they have almost identical coupons for most of what we needed. So for the money just the Northern Lights might have worked. (And it is about 1/2 the cost.) However, some things are only in one. Like the Roberts Tramway in Juneau. It is only in TourSaver. Decisions, decisions. :confused:

You really need to go over both of their websites very carefully to help make your decision. And if any questions I found that emailing the individual company really helped me. They were quick to respond if I needed clarification on anything.

Good luck. Hope this helps. Hopefully if I made any errors someone else will point them out.

Archived