Best Place on Orient Beach

Smuncha Luncha

We’d like to go to Orient Beach since that seems to be “the beach” in St. Maarten. However, I’d like to know what the best drop off point from the taxi for us would be. We’d like to enjoy some reasonably priced drinks & food, water sports (jet skis, water trampoline, water tricycles), chairs with umbrellas, clean restrooms, nice beach area with good swimming, and able to easily find a taxi back to the port.

Thanks for your help!:)

Don't know what the "best" is, because that is pretty subjective, but there are a couple of drop off points. If you do not have a specific location in mind then the most common one is Pedro's. That is near (Club Orient) the clothing optional resort. If you are sensitive to that then tell the driver you do not want to be dropped off at Pedro's and you will go to another one, the name I do not recall right now.

There are always cabs waiting at Pedro's as well as several other points for the return trip, or you can arrange with the driver that delivers you to pick you up (we never do that but some do). If you are not in a great hurry they fill up the van and it will be $6 each. If you are in a hurry you can go for (I think $18)

Orient beach has umbrellas, chairs, water sports, and bars all along the beach, so you will have many choices. Reasonable is a relative term and food is a bit pricey at all these places. Do consider taking cash because some of the places will accept USD on a 1-for-1 basis for the Euro. If they do it is a significant savings and you also avoid the 3% foreign currency surcharge. We have had good food at Baywatch but it is NOT the least expensive.

Do a search for Orient Beach and there are a lot of threads that give other' s experience and price info for various establishments. You will find from that search that there is a bit of variation in chair rental cost and that some chair rentals include a drink or so. If you find a place that you particularly like the driver will drop you off there or very close. All you have to do is ask.

Suggest you go early as you can to grab a prize location because once those darn cruisers on tours :) start arriving it gets a bit crowded.

Enjoy

The cruise tours deposit their hordes mainly at Bikini Beach Bar, which then becomes very crowded. The big five beach bars are all owned by the same interests and are just about the most expensive on the beach. Bikini, Kakao, Waikiki, Coca and La Playa.

Ed's 2005 photorama, with many clickable links...

http://edsandra.com/photos2005/LargeOrientPanorama.htm

Baywatch is owned by a NJ couple and is known for good food at a reasonable price, and a collection of NJ signs and license plates attached all over the shack.

2362324020096246620S600x600Q85.jpg

The cruise tours deposit their hordes mainly at Bikini Beach Bar, which then becomes very crowded. The big five beach bars are all owned by the same interests and are just about the most expensive on the beach. Bikini, Kakao, Waikiki, Coca and La Playa.

Baywatch is owned by a NJ couple and is known for good food at a reasonable price, and a collection of NJ signs and license plates attached all over the shack.

Love Baywatch. A must any time that we head to OB. Cheryl and Andy area great and the food is really good.

Thank you so much! The link you provided was very cool and extremely helpful - I forwarded it to everyone in my group. Only 28 days to embarkation & I'm getting so excited! :p

Thanks for the replies. From what I can see, Baywatch appears to be closer to Club Orient. We have a mixed group that may be slightly uncomfortable with nudity. I understand we could see it anywhere on the beach, but wondering if we're more apt to see it at Baywatch vs another place further down the beach.

Also, any idea what Baywatch charges for chairs/umbrellas?

Some top free or European ladies are likely anywhere but full nudity is mostly at Club Orient. If you are at Baywatch you may see nudity or maybe not. My guess is that it would be rare unless you are there really early in the day when some of the CO folks walk the full length of the beach. This is normally before the cruise ships arrive tho.

I doubt that you will be troubled by rather limited nudity at Baywatch but if your group has someone that will be really upset at the sight of a fully nude sunbather then I suggest you stay closer to Bikini Beach or other locations in that general vicinity.

FYI - Andy, the owner of Baywatch, is a retired US Marine - Ooh Raah!! Also, the cost for 2 beach chairs, an umbrella and 2 drinks when we went in 2007 was $15 - also some great parasailing and jetski rentals there. Be prepared to pay $.50 to use the bathroom! And watch out for the smells from Pedros - they've got a HUGE open grill where they'll be cooking ribs, etc. - hard to walk past! Would recommend the grilled scallops ceasar salad from Baywatch - yummie!

Is it easy to get a taxi back to the ship from the drop off at Pedro's. How much would a roundtrip taxi ride be for 4 people? Is there any good place to snorkel in this area? Have I asked enough questions! LOL

What we do is make a deal with the taxi driver that takes us from the ship to OB and have them come back and pick us up at a designated time. Has worked out great each time. Not exactly sure of the price for a cab for four. It was $18.00 each way for two the last time we went.

Some cab drivers will offer to return for you but we usually decline. We've never had a problem getting a cab around Pedro's to take you back to the ship. The biggest issue is that if you're first, you may sit there as they try to fill up the van.

Approx how long should I estimate for the taxi journey to OB? I am trying to work out an estimate of time we might spend at the beach, but still allowing some shopping time in Downtown before or after?

25-30 minutes in the AM to OB from the pier, 5 minutes more in the PM going back to the pier. The cab can also drop you downtown.

• 3 weeks later...
Unfortunately I will be there on the 23rd which is a Monday. I was hoping to have a couple of drinks and lunch at Baywatch. I'll have to alter that plan. Any other recommendations?

Well, the stuff I smelled on the grill at Pedro's (they've got this big outdoor grill on the side) was making me drool, it smelled so good. I'd suggest try eating there. If not there, then just walk up and down till you find something that looks good to you - it's not that far from one end to the other.

Archived