2009 Saint John, NB Canada FAQ and Interactive Cruise Ship Visitor's Map

Acey

The museum is located on the first level of Market Square. It is within a very easy walk from either Pugsley or Long Wharf. If you were here before then you would have noticed the Hilton Hotel on the waterfront. Market Square is the large building in front of the Hilton.

Hi,

We are docking at the Long Wharf .Can anyone give us any info on that docking area ? Is it closer to town or farther away ? Thanks Kay

Hi,

We are docking at the Long Wharf .Can anyone give us any info on that docking area ? Is it closer to town or farther away ? Thanks Kay

Long Wharf is no farther away from the uptown area than Pugsley is. They are located on opposite sides of the shopping area and it is a very quick walk to get where you want to be from either. The main difference is that Pugsley has the brand new terminal building and Long Wharf uses the large marquee tents. In a few years time there will also be a lovely new terminal building at Long Wharf as well.

Long Wharf is no farther away from the uptown area than Pugsley is. They are located on opposite sides of the shopping area and it is a very quick walk to get where you want to be from either. The main difference is that Pugsley has the brand new terminal building and Long Wharf uses the large marquee tents. In a few years time there will also be a lovely new terminal building at Long Wharf as well.

Which terminal is closer to the walkway towards reversing falls? Thanks.

Which terminal is closer to the walkway towards reversing falls? Thanks.

Long Wharf is closer to Reversing Falls. As you exit the wharf, turn left on the cranberry coloured path, which is Harbour Passage.

Long Wharf is closer to Reversing Falls. As you exit the wharf, turn left on the cranberry coloured path, which is Harbour Passage.

Thanks!! When we visited in 2004 and 2007 I guess we were at the other dock. Just wondering how far away from the old dock since I can't picture in my mind. We did go down that walk a little but at the time had no idea of distance to reversing falls. Thank you for all your help!

This thread has been a weath of information. Thank you all. I will have to come back and print out a lot of this. I am heading that way on the Triumph July 23 with my college age DD and DN. What do you reccomend that that may like? I see they have afternoon tea which I thought would be fun but I want to make sure they will enjoy something that is St. Johnsy:). Since we are only there for a day, what would you do?

Edit: What is the drinkng age in St. Johns incase we hit a pub?

We will arrive St. John on Canada Day on the Carnival Triumph. The high and low tides on that day are 7:49AM and 2:04PM, respectively. I am planning on taking all seven teenagers in our group to do the jet ride at the Falls. Could you tell me what time we should arrive at the Falls for the "best experience"? The parents in the group are more than likely either watching us from the shore or take the leisure ride in the boat.

It looks like we will take a cab to the Falls then walk around after the ride and go back to see the museum.

Thanks for the info.

This thread has been a weath of information. Thank you all. I will have to come back and print out a lot of this. I am heading that way on the Triumph July 23 with my college age DD and DN. What do you reccomend that that may like? I see they have afternoon tea which I thought would be fun but I want to make sure they will enjoy something that is St. Johnsy:). Since we are only there for a day, what would you do?

Edit: What is the drinkng age in St. Johns incase we hit a pub?

The legal drinking age is 19. I would walk around the downtown and go to the city market. There are 2 tea rooms - so if you need info let us know.

We will arrive St. John on Canada Day on the Carnival Triumph. The high and low tides on that day are 7:49AM and 2:04PM, respectively. I am planning on taking all seven teenagers in our group to do the jet ride at the Falls. Could you tell me what time we should arrive at the Falls for the "best experience"? The parents in the group are more than likely either watching us from the shore or take the leisure ride in the boat.

It looks like we will take a cab to the Falls then walk around after the ride and go back to see the museum.

Thanks for the info.

I would call them directly toll free at 1-888-634-8987 - they would have the most accurate information for you. With that many teenagers - I would record it if they are on a wilder ride - There are some nice high points you can record from above.

Thanks for the info.

http://www.jetboatrides.com/#

If I were adventurous, (which I am not:D) I would take the ride in the hour before, to the hour after, low tide. I have included a link to the Jet Boat Ride for you so you can make a reservation if you wish.

The legal drinking age is 19. I would walk around the downtown and go to the city market. There are 2 tea rooms - so if you need info let us know.

Thanks Acey. I think you mentioned a tea room earlier but can you repost them so I don't search to hard:rolleyes:

Thanks

I would call them directly toll free at 1-888-634-8987 - they would have the most accurate information for you. With that many teenagers - I would record it if they are on a wilder ride - There are some nice high points you can record from above.

Thanks for the quick response and the suggestion on recording from above. I will ask a parent in the group to do the recording. I did call Jet Boat this morning and they said around 11AM or 12PM should be a good time to go on the ride. The nice lady I talked to also reminds me of the different time in St. John's and ship's time since there is an hour different.

http://www.jetboatrides.com/#

If I were adventurous, (which I am not:D) I would take the ride in the hour before, to the hour after, low tide. I have included a link to the Jet Boat Ride for you so you can make a reservation if you wish.

Thank you very much for the link. I called and talked to them this morning. Now I have to wait to see how many parents will join their kids on the boat ride prior to making the reservation.

The link is an interesting article about Saint John in the Toronto Star. http://www.thestar.com/travel/article/652208

Thank you for this article. Going to a new port typically creates a bit of pre-cruise anxiety about what things will be like and what there will be to do.

Thank you also to the residents who continue to post and answer questions and offer advice. I look forward to seeing St John even more, thanks to you.

Thank you for this article. Going to a new port typically creates a bit of pre-cruise anxiety about what things will be like and what there will be to do.

Thank you also to the residents who continue to post and answer questions and offer advice. I look forward to seeing St John even more, thanks to you.

You are welcome. I have a lifetime connection to Saint John. I was born there 51 years ago but only lived there long enough to attend college. Over those years I have had grandparents and now my Dad, Aunt and some extended family living is SJ. I usually get to visit 2 or 3 times a year. It is a unique city in part due to its age and history with immigration from Europe and the US and also a unique area for many reasons. My DW is from Moncton NB and I spent the first 17 years living in Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island. I hope you enjoy your very brief visit. Maybe return for a longer visit later. There are a couple of folks locally that are dispensing great advice to the cruise visitors. Sapper and Acey are to be commended for their great efforts.

I'll be more then happy to help also, I work for Tourism Saint John.

If you ever need help on land, there is a tourist information center in the terminal, but also if you turn left on Water street ( the terminal is on this street) , and you walk down a few hundred meters , on the right you will see Barbor's General Store.

This was built in 1860 as a store and has many artifacts. Inside, there is a Info Center and feel free to ask for Christine, Laura, or Doug.

Okay I have been to Saint John and have never seen Barbor's General Store. Is it across from Pugsley Terminal or near the Square? We are visiting in October so I want to make sure we go.

Thank everyone for their information given in this thread. One of my favorite stops is here. When we went last year we had a beautiful send off from a bagpiper it was so nice. This is one of the friendlist town ever.

Thanks again.

Okay I have been to Saint John and have never seen Barbor's General Store. Is it across from Pugsley Terminal or near the Square? We are visiting in October so I want to make sure we go.

Thank everyone for their information given in this thread. One of my favorite stops is here. When we went last year we had a beautiful send off from a bagpiper it was so nice. This is one of the friendlist town ever.

Thanks again.

I agree on St. John. It is probably the friendliest port I've visited from the rose or pin as a welcome gift to the bagpipe sendoff!! Everyone we met on our last 2 cruises there were wonderful. I look forward to visiting again in Oct!!

Thanks Acey. I think you mentioned a tea room earlier but can you repost them so I don't search to hard:rolleyes:

Thanks

The Infusion Tea Room at the City Market - and the Loose Leaf (beautiful old building that will take you back in time) on Prince Edward Street (an area going through gentrification). Both are good.

Hi Everyone -

I figured if anyone would have information, it would be the experienced St. John's posters on this thread. We are looking for some direction on the shore excursions offered by our cruiseline.

We would be interested in doing any of the following shore excursions in St. John but we are having a devil of a time deciding which to do. Keep in mind that we are both "young seniors" and somewhat active (we both still work).

We would love to do the kayaking but are concerned that it would be too difficult, as we have never kayaked before. We are also concerned about getting in and out of the kayak as it's bobbing in the water.

We also thought we could do one of the shore excursions offered by the cruiseline and still have enough time to take in the St. John's Trolley tour on our own before we get back on the ship.

Any advice or recommendations on the following will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Elaine and JoAnn

Flowers, Farms & New Brunswick Charms

Travel along the countryside to Darlings Island. Visit Nancy Thorpe’s garden. Make a brief stop at the Darlings Island Covered Bridge. Stroll through the bridge at this quaint and scenic spot. Your guide will share the folklore surrounding covered bridges in New Brunswick. Next, visit Evelyn Cassidy’s dairy farm and learn about life on a New Brunswick Farm. Then, travel through rural New Brunswick en route to Hampton. Visit Barb McNamara’s Bamara Inn.

Murals of Sussex and Covered Bridges

Visit some of New Brunswick's famous 100 year old Covered Bridges. The 3 bridges visited are: Tranton C.B., Salmon River C.B., and Plumsweep, C.B. before traveling into Sussex. The town of Sussex, the Mural capital of Atlantic Canada, created a fascinating feature with 11 murals painted onto the side of the town's buildings. Sussex is a rural community nestled in the countryside of New Brunswick. Streets are lined with heritage buildings, quaint shops and various restaurants. Stop at Broadway Cafe for refreshments before heading back to Saint John.

Saint John City Sights

Your guide takes you past prominent landmarks and historic buildings and introduces you to the many fascinating personalities and events that made Saint John the greatest little city in the east. Stop at Woolastook Park, and Fallsview Park to view the famous Reversing Falls Rapids. Travel past Fort Howe for views of the harbor below. Stop at the Old City Market.

Saint John Highlights Tour

Pass through the west side of the city of Saint John and stop for a visit at Carleton Martello Tower. Stop to view the famous Reversing Falls Rapids at Fallsview Park. Continue to Fort Howe to view the harbor below. Pass the Irving Mansion, Rockwood Park, Loyalist Burial Grounds, and Historic Trinity Royal. Stop at Old City Market.

Saint John Trolley Tour

Visit the Reversing Falls Rapids. View the port of Saint John against the beauty of the Bay of Fundy as you drive along Fort Howe lookout.

St. Martins and The Bay of Fundy

Pass through Saint John on the way to the village of St. Martins on the shoreline of the Bay of Fundy. Stop at the Reversing Falls Rapids to view the Falls. View the Bay of Fundy from the bluffs. Visit St. Martin's Sea Caves and beach. The Sea Caves are only accessible at low tide, but can be viewed from the beach. In St. Martins, visit the harbor area where you will have a view of the twin covered bridges. Visit the Old City Market upon return to St. John.

Ride the Rapids Tour & City Sights

Stop at the Old City Market on the way to Fallsview Park. The Reversing Falls jet boat ride gets you up close to the Falls.

Coastal Kayaking and Lobster Cookout

Pass through the city of St. John enroute to the St. John River. Before arriving at the kayak site, a brief stop is made at the Reversing Falls. At the St. John River, you board a stabler two-person sit-in style kayak for a tour through the bay area along the shoreline. Great for the novice, paddling is at a slow, relaxing pace. Return to the beach for a lobster cookout.

Hi Everyone -

I figured if anyone would have information, it would be the experienced St. John's posters on this thread. We are looking for some direction on the shore excursions offered by our cruiseline.

We would be interested in doing any of the following shore excursions in St. John but we are having a devil of a time deciding which to do. Keep in mind that we are both "young seniors" and somewhat active (we both still work).

We would love to do the kayaking but are concerned that it would be too difficult, as we have never kayaked before. We are also concerned about getting in and out of the kayak as it's bobbing in the water.

We also thought we could do one of the shore excursions offered by the cruiseline and still have enough time to take in the St. John's Trolley tour on our own before we get back on the ship.

Any advice or recommendations on the following will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Elaine and JoAnn

Flowers, Farms & New Brunswick Charms

Travel along the countryside to DarlingsIsland. Visit Nancy Thorpe’s garden. Make a brief stop at the Darlings Island Covered Bridge. Stroll through the bridge at this quaint and scenic spot. Your guide will share the folklore surrounding covered bridges in New Brunswick. Next, visit Evelyn Cassidy’s dairy farm and learn about life on a New Brunswick Farm. Then, travel through rural New Brunswick en route to Hampton. Visit Barb McNamara’s Bamara Inn.

Murals of Sussex and Covered Bridges

Visit some of New Brunswick's famous 100 year old Covered Bridges. The 3 bridges visited are: Tranton C.B., Salmon River C.B., and Plumsweep, C.B. before traveling into Sussex. The town of Sussex, the Mural capital of Atlantic Canada, created a fascinating feature with 11 murals painted onto the side of the town's buildings. Sussex is a rural community nestled in the countryside of New Brunswick. Streets are lined with heritage buildings, quaint shops and various restaurants. Stop at Broadway Cafe for refreshments before heading back to Saint John.

Saint JohnCity Sights

Your guide takes you past prominent landmarks and historic buildings and introduces you to the many fascinating personalities and events that made Saint John the greatest little city in the east. Stop at WoolastookPark, and FallsviewPark to view the famous Reversing Falls Rapids. Travel past FortHowe for views of the harbor below. Stop at the OldCity Market.

Saint John Highlights Tour

Pass through the west side of the city of Saint John and stop for a visit at CarletonMartelloTower. Stop to view the famous Reversing Falls Rapids at FallsviewPark. Continue to FortHowe to view the harbor below. Pass the IrvingMansion, RockwoodPark, Loyalist Burial Grounds, and Historic Trinity Royal. Stop at OldCity Market.

Saint John Trolley Tour

Visit the Reversing Falls Rapids. View the port of Saint John against the beauty of the Bay of Fundy as you drive along FortHowe lookout.

St. Martins and The Bay of Fundy

Pass through Saint John on the way to the village of St. Martins on the shoreline of the Bay of Fundy. Stop at the Reversing Falls Rapids to view the Falls. View the Bay of Fundy from the bluffs. Visit St. Martin's SeaCaves and beach. The SeaCaves are only accessible at low tide, but can be viewed from the beach. In St. Martins, visit the harbor area where you will have a view of the twin covered bridges. Visit the Old City Market upon return to St. John.

Ride the Rapids Tour & City Sights

Stop at the Old City Market on the way to FallsviewPark. The ReversingFalls jet boat ride gets you up close to the Falls.

Coastal Kayaking and Lobster Cookout

Pass through the city of St. John enroute to the St. John River. Before arriving at the kayak site, a brief stop is made at the Reversing Falls. At the St. John River, you board a stabler two-person sit-in style kayak for a tour through the bay area along the shoreline. Great for the novice, paddling is at a slow, relaxing pace. Return to the beach for a lobster cookout.

Well I am always partial to St. Martins---especially at low tide. You can walk out to the caves and also see the fishing boats grounded out in the harbour. You can stroll through the covered bridges and it is a very quiet, picturesque place.

I have not done the mural walk in Sussex----about 45 minutes away from here---but my friends who have done it have enjoyed doing so. I always enjoy poking around the covered bridges---so peaceful.

The uptown area of Saint John with the City Market, King's Square, Loyalist Burial Grounds, NB Museum etc. is an easy walk from either of the cruise piers-----as is the old Saint John area. The Harbour Passage walk along the harbourfront is also very nice if it is a sunny day-----not so pleasant in the fog and drizzle.

If you take a taxi over to the Reversing Falls make sure you have a cell phone to call for a ride back as there is no phone in the viewing area. There is also a new viewing area right by the bridge. You could find a phone in the restaurant area on the other side of the bridge. In past years there has been a water taxi available from below the restaurant parking lot back over to the Market Slip area near the cruise docks. I have no reason to believe it would not be still there this year.

Re the Reversing Falls Jet Boat -----it looks like great fun for younger people but I would not be brave enough----very rough and wet-----and the water is COLD.

Whatever you decide to do I hope you have nice weather and enjoy your day.

The Infusion Tea Room at the City Market - and the Loose Leaf (beautiful old building that will take you back in time) on Prince Edward Street (an area going through gentrification). Both are good.

Thanks for the names and locations. I was looking at a calander of events as one called Buskers on the Boardwalk going on while I'm in port. It looks like street performers & comedy acts. Is it worth a look?

Archived