Ports and Customs in the Caribean

newbie101

Second time I have posted this as the first one never made it to the boardds. I a trying to find out if you need to clear customs at every port in the caribean that you visit. I have been to Jamaica and the Myan Riveara and had to clear customs both times... but that was when I flew in.

I am asking because I need to figure out when to line up to go ashore... we have exursions booked at 4 of the 5 ports on our southern caribean cruise.

Cheers!

The only time you have to go through customs is when the ship returns to a US port after visiting a foreign port ( St Thomas, St John, St Croix, Peurto Rico are all US ports). So if your ship cruises out of Fl visits, lets say St Maarten and then St Thomas, you'll have to go through customs.

As far as how it affects your excursions, if they are booked through the ship do not worry, they have that all under control

Second time I have posted this as the first one never made it to the boardds. I a trying to find out if you need to clear customs at every port in the caribean that you visit. I have been to Jamaica and the Myan Riveara and had to clear customs both times... but that was when I flew in.

I am asking because I need to figure out when to line up to go ashore... we have exursions booked at 4 of the 5 ports on our southern caribean cruise.

Cheers!

The only ports in the Caribbean where we have had to go through customs with our passports were US ports. St. Thomas and Key West. We never had to go through a customs "lineup" with our passports at any other port. In foreign ports in the Caribbean, the ship's personnel handled the immigration formalities, and it was very brief. The ship was cleared shortly after docking or anchoring.

Hope this helps.

DavidnSteph

Just returned from a 14 day Caribbean Cruise with Princess. Although in the past we have had to clear customs/immigration in St. Thomas after visiting another foreign port, we didn't have to this time. From what I am told they have now stopped the early morning immigration/customs check in St. Thomas.

So, we had no ports that we had to clear customs at throughout the entire cruise, until we returned to Fort Lauderdale.

Archived