Cruise Critic's Blogging Live from Ruby Princess -- Ask Us Your Questions!

kimmiekaz

Lisa Ball is the current Cruise Director, and the Assistant Cruise Director is Martin Fairs. Princess told me today that Lisa Ball worked as the Assistant Cruise Director for the inauguration under Cruise Director James Lay, who is now on leave. Lisa will be onboard Ruby for another couple of months, and she's really fun and bubbly!

Kim

Hi Kimberley,

Who is the CD and Assistant CD on the Ruby at present? I know that they were due to change sometime in January and wondered who had taken over? Also is Godwin on of the Restaurant Managers in Anytime Dining?

Many thanks

From what I've read here, it doesn't seem to be a problem if you bring some of your own beverages with you, is that correct? We were going to shop in FLL for a few things so we don't have to pay for an extra bag on the flight.

Feel free to shop for beverages before you board the ship. You are allowed to bring wine and Champagne onboard, but no hard alcohol. Passengers are free to enjoy wine/Champagne in their cabins, but if they bring it the dining room, there is a $15 corkage fee. Passengers may bring their own bottled waters, soda, etc...

Hope this helps!

Kim

Thanks for all the updates and info! Have you heard how long Tony Draper will be on the Ruby?

Princess told me today that Captain Draper is scheduled to be onboard Ruby Princess for another three months. Most of the captains rotate on a four months on and two months off rotation.

Kim

Hello again, ridolphi! I was able to pop into one of the penthouse suites on the Riviera Deck (Deck 14) today and it was quite spacious -- I'm digging up the square footage for you, but these suites generally range from 461 to 687 square feet. The bathroom is separated into two areas -- one for toilet and sink, the other for a tall, stand-up shower and a Jacuzzi tub. These suites (there are 26 onboard) also come with a small walk-in closet and a nice bureau for folded clothing that’s built into the wall. The sitting area can be partitioned off from the bedroom area by a curtain. It’s a great choice if you think you’ll be entertaining; there is a granite-topped mini-bar with a small sink in the sitting area. It also comes with its own DVD player -- our mini-suite didn’t have that. Only downside: The balcony seemed a bit narrow outfitted with two teak lounges, table and four chairs.

To be exact, I found out that the suite I viewed onboard Ruby Princess is exactly 533 square feet.

Kim

have you had the ultimate breakfast kim? was wondering how early we can order it.

The Champagne Balcony Breakfast is served per the passenger's request on sea days only, between 7 a.m. and 11 a.m. Here is the menu:

CHAMPAGNE BREAKFAST FOR TWO $32

HEIDSIECK MONOPOLE CHAMPAGNE

Chilled Half Bottle

WARM BASKET OF HOMEMADE PASTRIES

COLD SMOKED SALMON

Dill Cream Cheese and Toasted Lemon Brioche

MEDLEY OF FRESH FRUITS AND FOREST BERRIES

Clover Honey Chantilly Creme

BACON & ONION QUICHE LORRAINE

Tomato and Fontina Cheese Gratin

Mmmmmm....sounds delicious. Dave and I opted not to do the Champagne Balcony Breakfast, since we already had the Ultimate Balcony Dinner reserved. But how lovely it must be to wake up to these goodies in the comfort of your own cabin!

[/b][/b][/color]

Dear Kim,

Thanks for the reply. When looking at the Deck plans for the Ruby on Princess website, seems that Deck 4 only includes the medical suite (and I guess employee quarters?).

Reading some of the Emerald cruise reviews I come up with this information and have tried to read the deck outlines to confirm -- would be great to hear from someone, however, who is on the actual ship now and sees the layout in person?

The Plaza Deck (Deck 5) midships port side next to International Cafe across from the Piazza looks like a possible exit (gangway to port?)?

The Fiesta Deck (Deck 6) midships is on the same level as the lower level of the theater (reference previous discussion): it appears that there could be an exit port side next to Circle Desk or starboard side next to Calypso Cove, these possible exits are to the right or left of Passenger Services desk.

Hope you have a couple of minutes to sleuth this out!

About table sizes, had learned from organizing "my" group on 24 May 08 Emerald (that I subsequently missed) that tables are bolted to the decks, and that I can ask my contact at passenger services in California re the departure schedule out of Barcelona to determine the when and where of a potential dinner for 16 passengers on 28 May (I would expect that 2 tables of 8 adjacent to each other is a realistic choice.

Much thanks for sleuthing out Plaza and Fiesta decks, am looking for the best locations for passengers in cabins on Caribe, Baja, and Riviera decks to meet at designated times (starting as early as 7:15 am) to walk off, tender off at various ports to start our private tours,

David

Hi David,

Exiting the ship and the tender process, on our cruise, always happened from Deck 4. I talked to Passenger Services, and they told me that in port, almost always, you'll exit on Deck 4. In Ft. Lauderdale, however, embarkation and disembarkation happened on Decks 5 and 6. I like the idea from chrysalis about meeting in the Piazza -- a nice, central location -- and proceeding from there.

Plus, as far as your group table configurations go, I talked to Ruby Princess' maitre d', Generoso, and he told me he'd be more than happy to accomodate. Ask for him once onboard...you'll be well taken care of!

Thanks,

Kim

How were you able to get the Chef's Table - I heard it was really tough??

Hi desiro,

It is really tough to make reservations for the Chef's Table, and only two are offered per week, so you have to be one of the first onboard to request a spot, and there's no reserving online. Same thing goes for the Sanctuary. No pre-reservations over the internet, you need to be in line at the Sanctuary as soon as possible once onboard for the weekly passes, and to obtain a half-day pass or daily passes, the Sanctuary opens at 7 a.m. sharp each morning. It's imperative to be among the first in line to get your desired lounge chair in this haven, as these passes sell out quickly.

These special experiences are reserved on a first-come, first-served basis, so make sure you're one of the first in line to reserve yourselves a spot.

Thanks Kim! We'll get some beverages in FLL, mostly water and caffeine free soda. We're trying to pack as light as possible but I'm still in winter clothes everyday so thinking about swimsuits, shorts and sundresses is difficult. But I'm sure I'll manage! ;)

We're also on Dolphin deck and I don't mind an open top balcony, let the sun shine down on me!

Thanks for blogging about your trip and answering so many questions. It's very helpful and nice of you to take time from your vacation for us. Hope going back to work isn't too difficult! Kitty :)

Kendon,

Which desserts, in particular, are you referring to that are no longer offered, or are not so frequent anymore?

I especially liked the Crema al Caffe in Sabatini's -- an espresso creme brulee that was so rich and creamy, and just plain yummy. Have you tried that one? I highly recommend accompanying it with a cappuccino!

If I may impose on your blog, Kim. The food was very good on the Ruby, but as you all may or may not know, the dining room menus have changed. Some think for the better, some think for the worse. The apps and main dishes are very good, but many of the desserts we have grown to love have disappeared or are offered infrequently. I have also noticed that the same dish from ship to ship is left up to the chefs interpretation. Every time I have ordered the shrimp fra'davolo (I killed that spelling!), it looked and tasted different than the time before. Overall, the dining room was excellent...both food and service. The HC fell short on this cruise in presentation and selection, but then again this could be a "Ruby" thing.

Kim, sorry... one final question! Did they have the seafood buffet on the 1st sail away day (or any other)? I have read in another thread that most Princess boats are still offering this however the Ruby may not. Are you aware of whether they offered this onyour sailing and/or the sailing 3/21/09?

We sailed Ruby 2/14 and that sailing they sold all 47 chairs for weekly passes on the first day. NO ONE other than those 47 got to use the Sanctuary. VERY DISAPPOINTING!

The Santuary was virtually empty whenever I looked in. The people who bought the weeklong did not even use it every day. Princess should have stuck to their own rules and sold a limited number of passes.

We sailed Ruby 2/14 and that sailing they sold all 47 chairs for weekly passes on the first day. NO ONE other than those 47 got to use the Sanctuary. VERY DISAPPOINTING!

The Santuary was virtually empty whenever I looked in. The people who bought the weeklong did not even use it every day. Princess should have stuck to their own rules and sold a limited number of passes.

Hehe... how exclusive! lol. I hope to be one of the people who are able to get a week's pass and honestly speaking, I wouldn't use it every day either. Port days are spent doing fun and exciting things and it's the sea days that I like to chill in quiet, also without having to get up at 7am to reserve a seat to do so.

I would be happy if they sold all 47 passes to weekly holders, in fact I would be tickled pink about it! Why limit it at only 20?

Hehe... how exclusive! lol. I hope to be one of the people who are able to get a week's pass and honestly speaking, I wouldn't use it every day either. Port days are spent doing fun and exciting things and it's the sea days that I like to chill in quiet, also without having to get up at 7am to reserve a seat to do so.

I would be happy if they sold all 47 passes to weekly holders, in fact I would be tickled pink about it! Why limit it at only 20?

Perhaps some people can't afford to pay for excursions and an empty spot at the Sanctuary too? Perhaps it seems greedy and wasteful and unkind to deliberately reserve something you don't intend to use, and prevent others from enjoying it? Perhaps it's only fair that people who would quite gladly get up at 6:00 am for the priviledge of even a half day pass......should have that opportunity?

I would be happy if they did away with the practice of selling weekly passes.

Parisbound, thank you for posting about this problem. I will be extremely disappointed if this situation occurs during my up coming cruise. If it really is their rule to limit the weekly passes, then I don't understand how this was allowed to happen. Guess I'll have to contact Princess and try some preventative measures........;)

Perhaps some people can't afford to pay for excursions and an empty spot at the Sanctuary too? Perhaps it seems greedy and wasteful and unkind to deliberately reserve something you don't intend to use, and prevent others from enjoying it? Perhaps it's only fair that people who would quite gladly get up at 6:00 am for the priviledge of even a half day pass......should have that opportunity?

I would be happy if they did away with the practice of selling weekly passes.

That is a fair comment and I understand where you are coming from, however I save up all year long for my vacation and relaxation needed during my week sailing in paradise. Also, I would rather purchase a $100 pass to peace and quiet than drink alcohol or gamble on the boat. We all have our priorities and that is where mine lie.

As for leaving the boat, other than Ocho Rios (which isn't terribly safe without a guided tour), there is always something to do at every port that doesn't cost a dime! Why waste the chance to venture off the boat and check out how the locals live? It's a personal choice of course. I quite enjoy just wandering around and besides the food that has to be purchased off the boat, it's a completely free day to see something different and exciting... in fact one of my favorite things to do is wander the street markets that are scattered around almost every port.

Have a great next holiday everyone!

JodyLynn,

I noticed that we are on the same cruise..hope you will attend the meet and greet planned. I too am looking forward to a week of rest and relaxation.

The only thing that concerns me is how quickly all 47 of those passes may go. I can't be first on the ship because I'm not a platinum member, but I guess I'll be @ the ship bright and early to get my "Sanctuary Chair" reserved. I'm also thinking that my DH and I will have to do the divide and conquer. Me to the Sanctuary and he to the Pursers Desk to sign up for the Ultimate Ship tour. Could be a busy first couple of hours on the ship.

Of course many of us have to save a long time to take a special vacation. My DH and I love the warm carribean waters and love to snorkel and swim and relax That's why we chose a Carribean cruise! Wandering around the ports doesn't interest us, free or not. We're happy to spend the money for our pleasure. We've had excellent/longer experiences with the local culture on our land based vacations to the carribean.

On the two days that we'll be at sea... we've really been looking forward to spending some relaxing time at the Sanctuary. After reading about the whole place being booked for the whole week on Day 1, my DH is of the opinion that we shoud just reserve it for the whole week, although we probably won't use it 3-4 days, but I'm not keen on the idea. In this case I am not 'happy to spend the money for our pleasure' because of the waste.

It's tempting to do though, and maybe we will.....but then we'd be Sanctuary Hogs:rolleyes:!

I believe it's been stated on these boards that there is/was(?) a limited # of whole week passes sold per sailing. I'm not sure what Princess's actual policies are though, so I've sent a letter via e-mail and reg. mail. Hopefully I'll hear something back before we sail in April.

Maybe Princess should not charge for use of the Sanctuary? RCCL has an adults only area and its free to use and the week we were on (US thanksgiving) it was never a problem finding a chair and most times it was so quiet there was plenty of room. The busiest area there was the hot tubs, but people would not chair hog, they would put their belongings by the hot tub and then enjoy. We went everyday to this area (Mariner of the Seas) and loved it. Even sea days when it was busier you could find a lounger somewhere, though not as easy as other days.

If the Sanctuary was free to use, but the other items in it were extra (specialty foods, massages....etc) it may make more sense. And of course making sure people could not chair hog would be a must.

WE also just returned from the 2/21 sailing. The Sanctuary weekly booking were sold out by 2:30 PM before sailing> I did get a daily pass for the first sea day at 7AM on Sunday. I was not able to get one for the second sea day even though I arrived at the sanctuary at 6:45 AM. A couple in front of us took 12 beds for their group.

While the Sactuary looks great and the service there is fantastic, the quitest part of the ship during a sea day is the aft pool area. The sanctuary has a lot of noise from the wind and also the noise from the Spa pool carries into the Sanctuary.

We enjoyed our day in the snactuary, but we are glad that we did not get the weekly pass.

JodyLynn,

I noticed that we are on the same cruise..hope you will attend the meet and greet planned. I too am looking forward to a week of rest and relaxation.

The only thing that concerns me is how quickly all 47 of those passes may go. I can't be first on the ship because I'm not a platinum member, but I guess I'll be @ the ship bright and early to get my "Sanctuary Chair" reserved. I'm also thinking that my DH and I will have to do the divide and conquer. Me to the Sanctuary and he to the Pursers Desk to sign up for the Ultimate Ship tour. Could be a busy first couple of hours on the ship.

Hi there Disneydiane, my husband and I will in fact be at the meet and greet on the 3/21/09 sailing of the Ruby. I look forward to meeting you and everyone else.

Haha... OR perhaps I'll even meet you in line at the spa on the first day. ;)

Archived