Cruise Critic's Blogging Live from Ruby Princess -- Ask Us Your Questions!

kimmiekaz

Kim;

Thanks for your live posts. Hope you have a fantastic time on the rest of your cruise.

Bob

Future: Emerald Princess Northern Trans Atlantic 09/09

Diamond Princess Aus/NZ 01/09

Emerald Princess Med/Trans Atlantic 10/08

Celebrity Constellation British Isles/Norway 07/06

Celebrity Summit Alaska Repositioning 05/05

Celebrity Summit Panama Canal 10/02

Rhapsody Of The Seas Alaska 09/01

Spledour Of The Seas Baltic 09/99

HAL Veendam Eastern Caribbean 07/96

Carnival Holiday Western Carribean 07/93

Hi Kim,

We were so enjoying your blog, and sorry to hear about the technical difficulties. We will be checking frequently to see if your posts are updated. Hopefully Dave is feeling better by now and you are enjoying yourselves. Have fun and we'll check back later.

Linda

Hi we are booked on the Ruby Princess sailing Feb. 21 and I am really hoping to be able to spend a lot of time in the sanctuary but I had heard that you have to make reservations early in the morning of the day that you want to spend in there and that it has a fee of $10 per visit. I also can't tell if the Sanctuary is totally covered so that if you wanted sun it would be impossible or if it has open areas. Anyway I wonder about getting in and how to go about it. Has it been hard to get a chair in a good sun bathing spot? Are there many teenagers or kids?

This is nice of you to do this blog.

Thank you

Kim

The sanctuary has 16 chairs that are in the sun.. the rest are covered.. Yes, you need to get there early each morning to make the reservation (10 for a half day, 20 for a full day).. Or you can reserve the entire week for one flat fee. The attendants in the sanctuary are just wonderful. There are no kids permitted in the sanctuary..

Enjoy!

MRCRUZER: Princess has publicly stated that they don't have any plans for new builds for the foreseeable future. They are putting their time' date=' energy and money into focusing on the current product, bringing it up to the level they want it to be at (particularly service) and that they will be tweaking the existing fleet. I'm sure their thinking on this has been solidified by the current economic situation. They're facing huge reductions in revenue this year because of the price cuts in fares they've had to make to fill the ships. There was an interview published with Mr. Buckelew around the time of the Ruby innauguration where he made these comments.[/quote']

Cruisin'Chris:

I do see the logic to what's been said, and agree with you for the most part. It's a sensible direction for Princess. However I can't help but think something must be in the plans, as I've read Ruby Princess completes the Grand-Class era. It would seem only natural for something to be in the works, not necessarily to be released right now per say, but in the near future. I think what's happening here is I'm just trying to live tomorrow before today. ;)

Thank you though,

MC :)

I'm so sorry that I sort of disappeared on y'all -- had technical difficulties and have finally sorted them out. Just because I was quiet though doesn't mean I wasn't researching posts, checking things out onboard and onshore, and digging out answers to the questions you've asked.

So some of this is from yesterday et. al. but I hope it was worth waiting for.

Thanks again for your patience.

Kim

In Jamaica, Ruby Princess docked at Ocho Rios and it was a relatively busy day with Celebrity Century docked across us. Century actually got the better berth at Turtle Bay (there are two port facilities in Ocho Rios, one’s called Turtle Bay and the other’s Reynolds Pier). Turtle Bay is a bit more cruise-friendly and shops and cafes are more convenient, and Reynolds is more industrial, but it’s not a seriously big deal.

At Reynolds, tents were set up with tour guides gathering guests and the tour bus loading area was a bit hectic and small, but the crowds weren’t overwhelming.

When I think of the Caribbean I always see blue skies and sunshine and it’s not always that way, I learned today – Ocho Rios (and Jamaica) has been enduring rain for the past week or so. But today’s gorgeous.

Kim

Hi, Disneydiane, you asked excellent questions and I'll get back to you on all of them.

For now, re the International Cafe. I ran down to the International Cafe this morning to grab some coffee and something small to munch on before leaving the ship. At 7:45 a.m. it was still rather quiet -- in the cafe and in the Piazza in general. I asked for a plain pastry topped with sweet cream and blueberries and a raisin muffin, both were free -- and tasty. There's a good selection of pastries (some with fruit), croissants, muffins and donuts. The only offerings you would pay for in the cafe would be a chocolate fondue with fruit for dipping, chocolate covered strawberries, and of course, the specialty coffees.

Cappuccinos go for around $2 each. Other coffee selections like lattes and espresso are between $2 and $3.50. Hope this helps!

Kim

Thanks for taking the time to blog while you are on the ship...I'm looking forward to every word, as I will be on the Ruby 3/21. I was wondering if you could find out about the Sanctuary week long pass and what the cost currently may be, how quickly they suggest we get there to book it, as well as how many week long pass are available???? Also, I would really love a detailed review of the international cafe. What is available, favorites, are the pay tapas worth the extra cost ect....? Also, reviews of the specialty restaurants and well as Ultimate Balcony Dinning if you utilize any of these. Thanks...and waiting with "baited breath""""

disneydiane

Getting back onboard Ruby Princess yesterday afternoon, feeling hot and, er, burnt, the ship's staffers laid on a lovely welcome back touch -- ice-cold cloths were offered to sun-soaked passengers returning to the ship.

Kim

Thanks so much for your frequent posting! How exciting that you are currently cruising and most of us are sitting at work pretending to actually work... haha, dreaming of our upcoming vacations! lol.

I like a few others that have posted already, am on the sailing March 21st. I can't wait to relax in the Sanctuary (please advise of the cost of the weekly membership), do some scuba diving in Cozumel and on the Princess Island, and enjoy some great food and drink. What is the ultimate drink card and what does it cost? Is that different than a soda card?

Other than those questions... I just look forward to everything else you have to share with us! Much appreciated, all the time you are spending for our benefit!

Wow... just called Princess directly to see if they could answer my question about the Sanctuary and after sitting on hold for 10 minutes, the guy actually hung up on me. Hopefully it was an accident! lol.

Anyhow... can't wait to find out if you can get a week long pass to the sanctuary (silent book reading for a whole week!) and if so, how much it costs.

Have a great day!!!

Our day on Jamaica was a whirlwind with just enough small bites (call it the tapas tour) to get a feel for what’s on offer. But not enough time to really absorb. I definitely want to go back.

One of the highlights of the day was a trip to Mystic Mountain. Relatively new (it opened last summer), Mystic Mountain is home to a handful of really interesting outdoor activity options (and if Dunn’s River Falls is a been-there-done-that adventure for you, this offers a whole bunch of new choices).

Mystic Mountain is about five minutes (by taxi) from the terminal and trips are also offered via Princess’ (and, I’d assume, other cruise lines) tour office. Its principal claim to fame is the Bobsled Jamaica ride (did you ever see the feel-good flick called “Cool Runnings” about Jamaica’s victorious bobsledding team?). It’s based on that – but of course since there’s no snow in Jamaica the push-cart derby powered by sprinters is credited for the inspiration of the bobsled team.

Here, custom designed sleds that seat a single person are mounted on a track that winds down the mountain. Rushing 28 miles per hour, this ride simulates the Olympic sport now famous to Jamaica.

We didn’t try that – next time – but loved our more sedate Sky Explorer chairlift ride. Just like a ski lift, carrying up to four people, the chair climbs 700 feet up to the top of Mystic Mountain with Ocho Rios' tropical terrain trailing underneath. The views, on the ride up and at the top of the mountain overlook Turtle Bay, where cruise ships dock.

If you’re serious about adventure there’s a zip-line canopy tour here too…it’s $125. Once your gear is securely strapped on, you'll be sent on a wild ride speeding through the mountain's tropical landscape. The chairlift is included with both the bobsled ride and zip-line tour since both of these attractions are only accessible from the top of the mountain and it’s the only real way to get there.

Who’s visited Mystic Mountain? What was your experience like and which of the activities did you try? Tell us!

Kim

Cruise Critic member yyzatcqq asked in an earlier post if the Pub Lunch will be rolled out to earlier ships. I'm told the line is planning to implement this soon, though there's not a firm date just yet.

Crown Princess, Emerald Princess and Ruby Princess were all designed with a galley in close proximity to the Wheelhouse Bar, which makes it easy to offer the Pub Lunch. Other ships weren’t designed that way.

Trivia tidbit that's probably not a shocker -- fish and chips is far and away the most popular menu item.

Kim

Hi Kim.

Could you please ask if anyone knows when the "English Style Pub Lunch" will be rolled out to other ships? If they have any information they pass on could you ask which ships in which order?

Thanks a bunch!

For kidder kid and those who were curious, the maitre d’ is Generoso, but I'm told that James Deering is on vacation at the moment and thinks he might be going to Emerald Princess upon his return.

Kim -

Happy Valentine's day to you and your fiance. I look forward to reading your blog. Have recently booked the Ruby Transatlantic in October. My DH and I have never been to Europe. We have sailed on the Crown (twice) and the Emerald (last March and will again on 3/10/09) Would be interested in any differences in the ships or are they truly "sister" ships. Is Generoso the Maitre 'd and can you find out if he will be on board in October. Also, is James Deering onboard as the ? (not sure of his title, but he came to our cruise critic meet and greet on the Crown and he was great to meet and very attentive.)

I hope that you have a wonderful cruise and that it has all the romance that your heart desires.

Carolyn from Staten Island

Archived