Honeymoon on Seabourn vs Crystal or Silversea - your thoughts?

Ms. First in Class and I are planning our honeymoon, and we've been highly encouraged by the overwhelmingly positive critiques on the Seabourn board.

When we go to the Silversea board, it seems very mixed given the consistently high praise received by its competitors in the luxury category, and I get the impression that some apologists for Silversea justify the mediocrity or limited choice by the smaller ship size, but don't explain why a smaller ship on Silversea is preferable to Seabourn's also-intimate ships.

Crystal seems to get rave reviews. We're keeping an open mind to all three, and any others, such as the 7-day Bora Bora Lagoon Resort cruise, now affiliated with Orient Express.

My question is intended to seek your overall conclusion, and I'd very much appreciate your thoughts on it: For a honeymoon that is primarily a cruise of about 7-days, which line would you recommend, and why?

For our purposes, assume the fare (about $3K/person for 7 days) and ports of call for each line are substantially similar to each other, and that we'd be in an entry-level cabin size. Also, we're early 30s/late 20s, if that's relevant in your consideration.

Thanks in advance for your help and insights!

-First in Class

I can't comment on the three cruise lines you are looking at, but just wanted to offer my $0.02

If you're going to spend $3k each for a 7 night cruise, why not choose a longer cruise in a suite on a premium cruise line like Celebrity? We're taking a 10 night cruise for our honeymoon and paying less than half of what you guys are. If you wanted longer, you could even B2B two cruises for the same money.

Just my thoughts.

I can't comment on the three cruise lines you are looking at, but just wanted to offer my $0.02

If you're going to spend $3k each for a 7 night cruise, why not choose a longer cruise in a suite on a premium cruise line like Celebrity? We're taking a 10 night cruise for our honeymoon and paying less than half of what you guys are. If you wanted longer, you could even B2B two cruises for the same money.

Just my thoughts.

Susie,

Thanks for the idea. Would you mind sharing more about your cruise, in terms of which one, what suite category, and what you're paying? That will help us make a comparison.

First in Class

Hi First In Class,

I hope I can answer your questions.

I've cruised on all the lines you mentioned, plus all the other mass market lines including Celebrity so I think I have a perspective for what you want. First, lets talk about Celebrity. It's a great line, for a mass market line, but it in no way can compare with any of the four luxury lines. While their food is great, when compared to the other mass market lines like HAL and Princess, it doesn't come close to any true luxury line. The food on Celebrity is mass prepared ahead of time, while on the luxury lines, the food is prepared as you order it.

I'm not a big fan of Silversea for a few reasons. I found their service it be sorely lacking in a number of areas. The people at the consierge desk and purser's desk were surly and not helpful. As for food, it was a disappointment for what's supposed to be a top line luxury line. I think you've already read what I wrote about that on the Crystal board.

If you want the best and larges suites at sea, then go with Radisson. They most certainly have the best regular cabins of any ship I've been on. But, the food on Radisson Voyager was a major disappointment. The menus were unimaginative or downright boring, the quality of ingredients was below par, and many times the food was brought not as ordered. The buffet for breakfast and lunch were really poor.

Seabourn is sublime in every category. The food and service is the best you'll find. I also like the interaction between the officers and passengers---it happens on a daily basis. But, the cabins on Seabourn are really showing their age, and they don't have true balconies on any of their ships with the exception of the highest cost suite. That issue is what has caused me to stop cruising Seabourn and switch over to Crystal.

Now, for Crystal. While I absolutely love Crystal, some feel the line has some drawbacks. They don't like that Crystal isn't all inclusive, and they don't like the assigned seating for dinner. I'm not a fan of open seating dining, so the assigned seating isn't an issue for me, and I'm not a drinker, so the booze not included also isn't an issue. Where Crystal excels is in their entertainment for both day and night and their food and service. The other luxury lines don't have much in the way of entertainment in the evening after dinner. Maybe a singer or classical musician in the main show lounge, and maybe a three piece combo or a piano player/singer in the lounge. Crystal has a main show lounge, and three other entertainment venues every night, plus a disco that operates on some nights. The sea day activities are so numerous that you'll be hard-pressed to find time to do it all. The food on Crystal is absolutely fantastic with nothing impossible if you ask early enough. They will prepare any meal you want, with 24 hour notice to the head waiter. Crystal's mid-range cabins have balconies, so that's not a problem if you want your own place to sit and watch the ocean.

But, there is one drawback to the luxury lines: the average age is much higher than on the mass market lines. On all four luxury lines, the average age, depending on what time of year you cruise and length of cruise, can be well over 65. If you cruise in the summer months, the age lowers, slightly, but you won't find many other passengers in your age group. I'm 50 and I generally find that I'm the youngest passenger on board. But, the passengers on Crystal and Seabourn are so friendly and welcoming that I've never felt lonely or exlcuded. But the good thing about an older clientele is that there are virtually no kids on the luxury lines---and that can be a very good thing.

If you have any other questions, hop on over to the Crystal board and ask, even if it doesn't pertain to Crystal. I don't come over here to the honeymoon board, so I probably won't see if you ask something.

Archived