Dining with the Captain

AllAboard

I've had dinner with Captain Massimo Marino and the crew on the Carnival Conquest ~ it was me, my Aunt, my sister and her husband. My sister knew a big wig at Carnival and she arranged it for us as a surprise~ Was an amazing night~ that Captain and crew were the best! Every time they'd see us on board they'd come over and talk to us on the rest of the cruise! My Aunt passed away 2 1/2 years after that and was still talking about what an experience it was for her a week before she died~ will cherish that for the rest of my life that we were able to give her that :( :)

Edited by Alliezona09

We have dined at the Captain's table a few times... once on RCCL, once on HAL, a number of times on Celebrity.

In general, I think it is a pretty random opportunity. Generally the Matre'd - ship Host or Hostess play a role in selecting folks. When you think about it week after week on cruise ships, they are meeting new passengers, from this experience, I would guess they have a good feel for selecting folks to participate in making an interesting evening for the Captain or Officer and other passengers at the table.

If you are interested, it does not hurt to let the Matre'd or Host/Hostess know of your interest. Sometimes they are trying to put a table together at the last moment, sometime those invited decline. If they know you are interested you may get an invitation. Not all lines have a table, i.e., Princess doesn't.

We've dined with Captains on Celebrity three or four times (Ship's Hostess always made the guest list), Princess (once) and a great many times on HAL. We are always in a Suite and have sailed HAL a great many times and have gotten to know lots of wonderful people on the ships. We've enjoyed great evenings dining with Hotel Managers/Directors, Chief Engineers, Guest Relations Managers and other Officers. If you ever have the opportunity, by all means accept the invitation happily and feel honored. Most of these high ranking Officers are so interesting, wonderful hosts and great fun. Of course, there are a few exceptions. :D ;)

It can be very random who an how they select who will dine with the Captain and some cruises, Captain never comes to the dining room at all. Don't feel offended if not included. He may not even be having a table your cruise.

There used to be lots more evenings with Officers hosting than there are now. All too often we saw people be extremely rude, complain to the host at the table, come dressed inappropriately and it makes it less enjoyable for Officers to get all dressed and have unpleasant dinner companions.