To Mr. Barbados, from Barbados, re Barbados

J Cruise

Mr. Barbados,

It is now 11:20 in the evening, Barbados time. We are in our cabin on the Queen Mary 2 at the pier in Barbados. We depart from Barbados in a few minutes.

We wanted you to know that we had a great day in Barbados and give you a report. We rented a small Toyota van (5 speed stick, AC, right hand drive, $91.50 USD including everything) at the terminal from Stoutes Car Rental, LTD. at the pier terminal. It seemed to be the only location right here on site. We were lucky to get a car. We got off the ship at 10:15 and they only had 2 cars and our small van left, except for a few jeeps that my parents could not have climbed into. I would suggest that anyone planning on doing their own thing reserve in advance - Telephone 246-416-4456/7, Fax 246-416-4435, info@stoutescar.com.

We spent a week here 9 years ago. We enjoyed going around on our own again. I forgot what everybody on this board has said and what I knew - bring a compass! Nevertheless, even getting lost a few times was great fun. This morning, we drove to Cranes Beach and had a drink on the balcony overlooking the beach. Being from Florida, we did not need to spend time on the beach. Very pretty, although it took a good while to get there. Drove around town and a few other places although most of the shops downtown were closed since it is Sunday. Brought my parents back to the ship, had lunch onboard, and started out again. Drove north to the places we had been before - got out and spent some time and had a drink at the Crystal Cove Resort, and got out and looked at Carambola's restaurant, The Cliff restaurant and Olive's in Holetown. Drove up to Speightown and then come on back. Got back around 6:30 and dropped off keys to the rental in the drop box.

We enjoyed the day and being on our own. Thanks for your help in all the information I have read over the last few months.

J Cruise,

Thanks, J Cruise, for taking the time to give us a report!

I’m so pleased that you had a good time with no troubles.

I’m sorry that I forget to mention about the compass, I used one when we first arrived on the island many years ago, and it really helped. But, as you found out, getting lost is usually a short trip and can be fun if you have the time to spare.

My best wishes for a great time on the remainder of your voyage and a safe trip home.

And thanks again for taking the time to let us know that all went well. :) :)

-b-

• 1 month later...

Hi, Glad you had a great time. I am a little upset that we will be there on a Sunday also, and that you said that the stores were closed. Does the ship port have stores that are open to cruisers? I would hate to not bring home some kind of sovenier or something, I collect magnets from each port and would hate not to get one from barbados. HELP!

There is an indoor shopping mall terminal type building at the pier. All of the transportation leaves from there. There are many shops located in that building, from a liquor store, small grocery, car rental, souvenirs, watches and jewelry, scarves, as well as kiosks. You will be able to find a lot right there, but try to leave that area and see a lot of the rest of the island.

Hi, Glad you had a great time. I am a little upset that we will be there on a Sunday also, and that you said that the stores were closed. Does the ship port have stores that are open to cruisers? I would hate to not bring home some kind of sovenier or something, I collect magnets from each port and would hate not to get one from barbados. HELP!

My daughter collect magnets also, I can relate. Worst comes to worst you'll just have to go back another time and get one...he he...my kind of thinking.

If you really can't find one I can pick something up for you when we are there in April.

Archived