Cadiz and Barcelona Spain will stores be open on Sunday

We are on Costa Magica 4/2/09. We will be in Cadiz and Barcelona on a Sunday. Will the stores be open? Love to hear any ideas of getting around on our own. We are stationed in Germany and don't mind getting around town using public transportation. Any ideas welcome!

Thanks!

Prior to our post-cruise stay I read on Trip Advisor that no shops would be open on Sunday in Barcelona. However, depending on what you're looking for, we found that not to be the case and in fact most of the larger chain shops were open as were all the shops in the shopping centre near the port. I can tell you this quite categorically as we had a miserable rainy day which scuppered our previous plans and my sons managed to spend plenty of money in those shops!

Prior to our post-cruise stay I read on Trip Advisor that no shops would be open on Sunday in Barcelona. However, depending on what you're looking for, we found that not to be the case and in fact most of the larger chain shops were open as were all the shops in the shopping centre near the port. I can tell you this quite categorically as we had a miserable rainy day which scuppered our previous plans and my sons managed to spend plenty of money in those shops!

I don't know when you were there but it is most unusual for stores in Spain to open on a Sunday and I would not recommend anyone relying on them being open.

I don't know when you were there but it is most unusual for stores in Spain to open on a Sunday and I would not recommend anyone relying on them being open.

We were there on 2 November last year. I was surprised to see stores open as I expected them not to be, particularly since it was also a holiday weekend. However, as I mentioned it was the chain stores/clothes stores. We weren't looking for local shops on that occasion so it may be that they were all closed but I can vouch for the fact that Top Man, H&M, and such stores were open (including all the stores in the Maremagnum shopping centre) as it seemed crazy to me that my boys were shopping and paying in Euros for stuff which they could buy on any high street in the UK :rolleyes:

We are on Costa Magica 4/2/09. We will be in Cadiz and Barcelona on a Sunday. Will the stores be open? Love to hear any ideas of getting around on our own. We are stationed in Germany and don't mind getting around town using public transportation. Any ideas welcome!

Thanks!

I have been to Cadiz twice on a Sunday. The cruise ships go there so that passengers can take a tour to Seville which I do recommend as it is a beautiful ancient Spanish city full of history.

Cadiz itself is divided into an ancient port and modern town with lovely promenades. We took an open top bus to explore.

The old port has a lot of winding lanes full of little shops which, unfortunstely, are closed on Sundays. There will only be a few small tourist/postcard shops open.

Sunday has some neat street markets open in Barcelona. There is book and coin (and other stuff, too) market, the Mercat de Sant Antoni in El Raval from 8 am - 3 pm, the Mercat de; Art de la Plaça de Sant Josep Oriol from 10am - 2 pm in Barri Gotic, Fira de Numismàtica collectables market in Placa Reial, and the Fira Artesana - natural and organic cheeses and foods -from 10 am - 2 pm and 5 to 9 pm on the 1st and 3rd Saturday and Sunday of the month in Placa del Pi. I got this info from a great guide book, Top 10 Barcelona (they also make them for other cities) from DK.

Archived