stairs at San Pietro train station

I think the OP is obviously talking about the train station

ROMA S. PIETRO

99,999999999999999999% of the cruisers in this forum will use trains from Civitavecchia to Roma S. Pietro... (I guess NDCruiser will be the only one who visited any other S. Pietro...)

I remember when you arrive you were going downstairs to the tunnel and upstairs again to reach the surface of the plaza in front of the station.

Maybe you ask because you have someone in your party who is mobilty reduced...

When we were there in 2007 there were no elevator or escalator... I remember my father was claiming that he had to do something for his health and to walk by himself...

Regards,

HeinBloed

There are steps at S. Pietro rail station. We stayed a block away for five days in Sept. You get to other tracks via an undergound subway. There are steps. As I recall, there is an elevator...as there is in most Italian rail stations. The challenge is the elevator is not always working so it is hit and miss. I do not remember using the elevator at S. Pietro so it could have been broken. I would assume the worst as you probably have a 50/50 chance of it being in working order.

Thank you, yes I was referring to Roma St Pietro. I will be travelling with my 80 year old mother. She can handle steps as long as she has a rail to hold onto. Would there be more than 30 to 40 at a time ? Since this is the first time in Rome for us, I thought the hop on bus would be fine for us. We want to see the Colisseum and Trevi Fountain. San Pietro train station sounded less confusing for getting around than Termini, but if there are a lot of steps maybe we will arrive and depart at Termini.

Any suggestions. Thanks so much.

Thank you, yes I was referring to Roma St Pietro. I will be travelling with my 80 year old mother. She can handle steps as long as she has a rail to hold onto. Would there be more than 30 to 40 at a time ? Since this is the first time in Rome for us, I thought the hop on bus would be fine for us. We want to see the Colisseum and Trevi Fountain. San Pietro train station sounded less confusing for getting around than Termini, but if there are a lot of steps maybe we will arrive and depart at Termini.

Any suggestions. Thanks so much.

Sorry to disappoint you:

if stairs are a problem for your mother I would highly recommend to use Roma Termini.

Once you left the train everything is even and you have escalators.

In Roma S. Pietro you need to walk about 15-20 minutes to Peters Square and there is another subway to pass.

Have a look here:

http://heinbloed-cruiseguides.blogspot.com/2009/01/civitavecchia-italy-getting-to-vatican.html

You will get an impression how the way looks like you need to walk with your mother.

At Roma Termini you can just go to the Ho-Ho-Bus.

Regards,

HeinBloed

I second that. If your mother has trouble walking, she will be too tired by the time she reaches St. Peters to do any sightseeing. Depending on just how well she gets around, you could take the number 64 bus to get closer. The number 64 bus terminates at S. Pietro so there is usually one sitting there. It will get you much closer to St. Peters. But even at that, as the OP said, there is another subway to pass though under a busy street.

S Pietro is much easier to get around, but there are steps if I recall there is a handrail From there you can catch a cab to Saint Peters, from there you can catch another cab and go to the where ever you want, remember the hop on off bus does not stop at most places and you will have to walk to get there. by taking a cab from place to place is much easier and less walking and not that much more money, Getting a cab in Rome is easy if you cant find a cab stop or station find a hotel and have them call you one I think any restaurant will do the same thing for you.

Archived