considering Diamond

Lokalona

HI all,
We are considering Diamond S. Caribbean in Feb. We can get a good deal on it as a last minute trip. We have not been on a RSSC and are wanting to give this a try. I was wondering what your experience was with this ship and if you would tell me some things about RSSC, how they differ from other lines (with exception to the obvious) likes and dislikes, if any ;) Things I should know before I go that might differ from an average cruise.
Thanks in advance.

Looking at the ships you've been on, I would say that you'd really enjoy Diamond. It's probably the friendliest ship cruising. The crew is absolutely fantastic. You won't have the shows that you have on the larger ships, but there are so many pluses with RSSC that you won't even notice the lesser degree of entertainment. First, RSSC is basically all inclusive. There is no tipping of any kind. You have 2 bottles of the booze of your choice in your stateroom. RSSC spends more money per pax on food than any other line. The Grand Dining Room on the Diamond is probably the most romantic at sea. You have 24 hour room service. The ship has a marina that Capt Broomhall will put down whenever the port authority permits. The ship has 4 jet skis and a bunch of kayaks that you can use. The only drawback that might apply to you is that the average age of pax on RSSC ships is probably 55 for Caribbean cruises. Go for it! You'll never go back to the other lines if you do.

Thanks for the reply, I was looking forward to a more intimate expierence. My DH is 50, I am 44. We get tired of the "kid cruises" but it does work well for them to go on the more comercialized ships. This is just us, and we need a break from all the hassels of a regular cruise!
I just hope it doesn't spoil me too much to go backwards once I've been. Kids are almost gone, a few more years and it is just the 2 of us. As for missing the entertainment, I don't usually find it that entertaining. Ice show was good o RCI, comedians OK on HAL, I like the steel drum band around the pool, but other than that I'd rather watch the sea go by with a drink in my hand.

Lokalona, I was also on the Voyager in 2002 with our teens (that was my 8th cruise), and that was a pretty fabulous fun experience when you're travelling with kids....I don't regret doing it at all. But we went "the step up" to Radisson in 2003, because we wanted to see French Polynesia (without kids), and the only way to do that properly (truly!) is on the Paul Gauguin. Then, we were hooked. So, we booked a 2 week cruise on the Diamond for September 2004. I saved long and hard for this trip, believe me, even at the 2 for 1 prices! But, I'm telling you, there's no turning back. Prepare for that - I would have a VERY hard time going back to a mega cruise line after our two Radisson experiences. We got off the ship September 20th, and just last night I said to my husband "wasn't that THE most fantastic trip of our lives" and he agreed. We're STILL thinking about it all.

The Captain and crew on The Diamond are awesome, you have to experience them to really know what I mean. I hope Capt. Neill Broomhall is on board when you are, he's absolutely perfect. The food was superb, and the night in "Don Vito's" (a must-do) was so much fun. The intimacy of the ship, small size, few passengers, just added to it all. No line ups ever ever ever for anything. The entertainment during sailaways wasn't a steel drum band, but a 5 piece orchestra that sounded fantastic. The cocktail parties were great. I love the in room set up, I love that I can bring bottles of wine on board form every port openly - they don't care...they don't confiscate. We used to set up at night in a quiet, romantic, dimly lit public area where they weren't serving, and drink our own wine (or champagne that they'd given us in our rooms, or alcohol that they'd given us in our rooms) and they not only didn't CARE, they'd spot us and bring us ashtrays, ice buckets, whatever...it was awesome.

I am 46, and my husband is 48, so we're similar to you, and all I can say is you've worked long and hard, you've treated those kids to fabulous things for years, now treat yourself!!!!

Charlene

I just finished a wonderful cruise on the "MARINER" last Friday.
Met lots of wonderful people.
In conversations I would mention that we are booked on the "DIAMOND" on the 02/15/05 cruise out of San Juan and everyone of them said we would enjoy it as much or more than the Mariner. Everyone of them thought that the Diamonds service and food was a step up. Can't believe anything could be better.
Also heard from a TA that the 02/15/05 Diamond is full.

[quote name='Jim B']I just finished a wonderful cruise on the "MARINER" last Friday.
Met lots of wonderful people.
In conversations I would mention that we are booked on the "DIAMOND" on the 02/15/05 cruise out of San Juan and everyone of them said we would enjoy it as much or more than the Mariner. Everyone of them thought that the Diamonds service and food was a step up. Can't believe anything could be better.
Also heard from a TA that the 02/15/05 Diamond is full.[/QUOTE]

They were running a special 2 for 1 on the internet and we called about it. It was "just booked" right before our call...I found that to be odd since they were running a banner ad across Travelocity and only had 1 balcony cabin left and it booked right before I called?? So I called my TA, she put us on the prioity wait list with deposit so we shall see. If it is to happen I will go, if not then another time. I see your on the same cruise...have a drink for me if I don't get there ;)

Charlene,
I do hope to have a romantic trip with the DH. The kids have their time and it seems it is almost all the time! We have 5 kids 22,21,16,15,14...4 boys one girl. So a break is needed for sure! Pampering Please! Keep fingers crossed we get to go. Thanks for your answers to my questions.

[quote name='g2cruise']Pampering Is An Understatement!!!!you Deserve A Medal[/QUOTE]

My kids think I am the strictest mom around! With that many you have to have your wits about you, plus your always taking a kids friend along! The oldest 2 just moved out recently and one is in the Air Force (daughter) so it feels a little calmer, yet we keep having to teach kids how to drive! I keep thinking it will get easier but it doesn't. I wish they would raise the age limit to 17! (that is not greeted very well) DH and I just keep hoping this cruise deal goes through...I am trying not to get too excited because I don't want to be dissapointed...

Just back from a back-2-back Diamond. Age wise, the crossing was primarily middle age and upwards, but the subsequent Caribbean was primarily 30-somethings, probably due to two corporate groups on board. I was somewhat surprised at the age difference.

Just a comment on Deck 7 cabin selection, cabins 734 and 736 are just over the gangplank....since there were no ports on the crossing it wasn't a problem. But the couple in 734 reported that the noise arriving and leaving at daily ports was disturbing. Also, cabins under the galley can be really noisy during evening clean-up with lots of scraping sounds similar to deck chairs being dragged across the deck. I was in 748 for the second leg and it took me a couple of days to figure out where the loud noises were coming from. Don't know if it's true for all under-the-galley cabins, but will avoid them in the future.

We are in cabin 819.
I hope that is ok.

03/22/80 Commodore MS Caribe
02/15/03 Paul Gauguin
02/22/04 Norwegian Dream (ick)
11/12/04 Mariner "MINT" cruise
02/15/05 Diamond "ADRIFT" cruise (Aboard Diamond Rendezvous In February Together)

I haven't been on Diamond, but I can tell you that RSSC is a good value, especially at 2 for 1 they seem to have quite often. Food is good. Rooms are comfortable, though towels are thin. Almost no nickle-and-dimming. Service is attentative, though not as smooth or polished as real top-of-the-line as Silversea or Seabourn, but for what they charge you can't expect the same level. RSSC has curved out a nitch between the mass market lines and the real luxuary lines, and doing a good job at it.

I have been on all the Radisson ships at least twice (Except on PG once), and the Diamond is very special, it is smaller, I really like both of the Captains (Neil is really fun and very down to earth, he likes to "man" the sports platform). Even though the standard cabins aren't as large as the other ships if you opt for a balcony (I always do), the Caribbean itineraries have you in a different port every day. Don Vito's is a lot of fun (moreso if you are part of a larger table), but I can't rave about the food there, except to say it is very plentiful. But food is very subjective, and everyone has different tastes. The Grand Dining Room on the Diamond is lovely, my favorite of all the ships.

I have cruised once on the Silver Shadow in Asia, and have to say that in comparison to my 12 cruises with RSSC, that Radisson is every bit as "smooth and polished" as Silversea from service to food to cabin accommodations. Only difference I saw was no bar bill for drinks from the lounges.

Plus if you are fortunate to be on a cruise where they have Market Days Lunch in the dining room, you are in for a real treat. Won't describe it as that would ruin the surprise. Suffice to say you'll take rolls of pictures and have a delightful experience! I'm not sure that they do it on Caribbean sailings, but may offer it only on less port intensive cruises such as the crossings.

Archived