Pre Cruise Itinerary

PastorD2

My wife and I are planning a land tour before sailing on the Coral Princess from Whittier on August 31st. I will share our current plans for some expert feedback. Thanks in advance for your advice.

Day 1 - Arrive in Anchorage @ 6 pm. Rent car and drive to Willow for lodging at Alaskan Host B&B

Day 2 - 11 am Flightseeing Tour with Talkeetna Aero. Drive up to Denali and stop at the Visitors Center for brief time. Settle in @ Healy heights Family Cabins (we will spend 3 nights at this location),

Day 3 - Travel to Fairbanks and catch the Gold Dredge #8 Tour @ 10:30 am and Riverboat Discovery Tour @ 2 pm. Return to Healy. Unsure where to eat dinner.

Day 4 - Shuttle Tour of Denali Park (probably the 8 hour tour). Unsure where to eat dinner.

Day 5 - Commute back south. Do Flightseeing Tour if it is missed on Day 2. Stop in Palmer for the State Fair for a couple of hours. Continue to Girdwood for one night @ Alyeska Accomendations.

Day 6 - Take the Alyeska Tram Ride. Commute to Seward with stops @ Portage Glacier, Exit Glacier and Sea Life Center. Staying two nights @ Farm B&B.

Day 7 - Kenai Fjords Tour @ 8:30 am (6 hours)

Day 8 - Return to Anchorage and drop rental car @ airport. Catch shuttle to Whittier (using Girdwood Tours & Transportation).

Questions:

1) Is this tour plan to aggressive and packed for two average 55 year olds?

2) Do you think I should try to work in the Alaska Native Heritage Center and, if so, where to I put it in the schedule?

3) From your experience, do you think I will be disappointed in any of the lodging locations?

4) Is there anything that you would add to or delete from the itinerary if you were traveling with me?

5) Knowing the itinerary, do you have any restaurant suggestions for us to consider?

6) Do you have any other thoughts or suggestions that you think I should consider?

I have spent hours, nay - days, researching and reading for this trip. I want to think that I have it about 90% right, but I am a perfectionist. Since this may be our only trip to this great state, I am shooting for 100%. I also realize that personal taste and desires are all different but should be appreciated.

Again, thanks for the time and thought you spend in your reply. :)

Day 1 - Arrive in Anchorage @ 6 pm. Rent car and drive to Willow for lodging at Alaskan Host B&B

Plan on at least 3 hours to Willow from the airport, so you may want to grab some food somewhere.

Day 2 - 11 am Flightseeing Tour with Talkeetna Aero. Drive up to Denali and stop at the Visitors Center for brief time. Settle in @ Healy heights Family Cabins (we will spend 3 nights at this location),

You should take advantage of this time to drive into the park to Savage River and hike around the loop trail. This will be during fall colors and lots of big bull moose hang around here as the rut is starting. Great sunsets on a clear day and a view of Denali from this road.

Day 3 - Travel to Fairbanks and catch the Gold Dredge #8 Tour @ 10:30 am and Riverboat Discovery Tour @ 2 pm. Return to Healy. Unsure where to eat dinner.

Unless you really want to go to Fairbanks, you might want to stick closer to the park this day. It's around 5-6 hours of driving, although pretty if the weather is good. The Gold Dredge is a bit of a tourist trap with hundreds of people shuttled through each day. The riverboat is ok. The Monderosa, a sleazy bar near Nenana, has amazing hamburgers.

Day 4 - Shuttle Tour of Denali Park (probably the 8 hour tour). Unsure where to eat dinner.

Try Black Diamond or Rosies in Healy or go down the road to 229 Parks

Day 5 - Commute back south. Do Flightseeing Tour if it is missed on Day 2. Stop in Palmer for the State Fair for a couple of hours. Continue to Girdwood for one night @ Alyeska Accomendations.

The state fair is absolutely huge - I would plan at least a half day if you want to see the giant veggies, etc.

Day 6 - Take the Alyeska Tram Ride. Commute to Seward with stops @ Portage Glacier, Exit Glacier and Sea Life Center. Staying two nights @ Farm B&B.

I would only take the tram if the weather is good. The wildlife conservation center is also a good stop here.

Day 7 - Kenai Fjords Tour @ 8:30 am (6 hours)

This is a good choice. I also love the Sealife Center. If the weather is bad, the tour could be shortened or cancelled, so a backup plan is good to have.

Day 8 - Return to Anchorage and drop rental car @ airport. Catch shuttle to Whittier (using Girdwood Tours & Transportation).

Questions:

1) Is this tour plan to aggressive and packed for two average 55 year olds?

2) Do you think I should try to work in the Alaska Native Heritage Center and, if so, where to I put it in the schedule?

3) From your experience, do you think I will be disappointed in any of the lodging locations?

4) Is there anything that you would add to or delete from the itinerary if you were traveling with me?

5) Knowing the itinerary, do you have any restaurant suggestions for us to consider?

6) Do you have any other thoughts or suggestions that you think I should consider?

1. No, except maybe for a day trip to Fairbanks.

2. You will see a lot of native culture on the cruise, so I don't know if this is absolutely necessary.

3. I don't know much about the places you have chosen. There are a lot of lodging specials this summer.

I too question your choice of Fairbanks, it is hardly worth all that driving for what you are doing. This time would be better spend on your Denali/Girdwood transit day. It is also a poor choice to think of doing the fair along with the 7++ hours of driving.

I would forget Fairbanks, and stay in Mat Su instead of Girdwood, IF the fair is a priority??

Allow 90 minutes for the drive Anchorage/Willow. Have your groceries picked up by Wasilla however.

I assume you are using coupons?? If of interest, my definate preference is the Northwestern Fjords trip of Kenai Fjords which you have plenty of time to do.

There are plenty of areas that can be added in, off the Parks Highway, another reason, I think your Denali/Girdwood transit day isn't good. Consider reworking the routing without Fairbanks.

Archived