Dolphins - Weight?

ali_cat

Hey guys,

I think I want to do the royal swim at Dolphin Discovery rather than booking through Carnival and going to Dolphinaris (any opinions one way or the other would be helpful as well...) but I have a small problem. I'm not exactly a teeny girl by any stretch if the imagination. Is there a weight limit?

Hey guys,

I think I want to do the royal swim at Dolphin Discovery rather than booking through Carnival and going to Dolphinaris (any opinions one way or the other would be helpful as well...) but I have a small problem. I'm not exactly a teeny girl by any stretch if the imagination. Is there a weight limit?

Hi,

We just got back from Cozumel and did the Dolphin Trainer Program at Dolphinaris. There was woman in our group that was probably 200+ and the Dolphin had no problem. The Dolphins are very strong and themselves weigh between 350-500 lbs. Here is a video of our excursion if you are interested in seeing it. http://mermaidsgrotto.net/pictures.html

To make sure maybe you could send Dolphinaris or Dolphin Discoverery an email and ask before scheduling.

Hi nice video.Just showed my dw, we are going to cozumel in april and are going to chankanaab park is this located there. and what is the cost per person.Would love to have the wife do this for her bday. any info would be helpful thanks:cool:

Hi nice video.Just showed my dw, we are going to cozumel in april and are going to chankanaab park is this located there. and what is the cost per person.Would love to have the wife do this for her bday. any info would be helpful thanks:cool:

If you do the "royal swim" it is $149 per person. This doesn't include the price of pictures or the DVD. Purchasing them is optional. I just booked mine last night & now I'm waiting for my reservation confirmation. :)

I had wondered the exact same thing, I'm a pretty big girl and I tried on a men's XXL life jacket at walmart the other day, and it wouldn't fit over my chest, and I read you're required to wear a life jacket, even though I was a competitive swimmer for 5 years, and I'm just worried they'll deny me my chance to swim with the dolphins because I can't fit into a life jacket. I just tried calling Dolphinaris and I got an automated message from my phone company saying it couldn't connect my call, I also tried what looked like an 800 number and it ended up being some singles chat line. So if anyone is able to get ahold of them, please let me know if there's a weight limit.

The video is at Dolphinaris not Chankanaab. We did the Dolphin Trainer Program where we had much more time with the dolphins and it was the most expensive at $279 booking with NCL. I think it is less booking directly with Dolphinaris. Everyone felt it was worth the money. We were there for almost 5 hours. It included transportation, lunch, a few drinks of choice (I had a pina colada, beer, bottled water), locker, towel, trainer t-shirt, snorkel gear and two pictures. We had a behind the scenes tour, met the dolphins, practiced numerous training exercises with them. The best was all the time we got to be with them in the water. As you can see on the video we each had a ride, and a smile. Also got a kiss, gave a kiss, handshakes, two free swims, etc. It did not feel like it was too short. It was fantastic! Dolphinaris has much less expensive packages offered as well. We also bought 8 additional pictures and the DVD (the video I posted has been converted for the web) for $136. Everything was very professionally run with much respect and courtesy. I highly recommend them.

In answer to the life jacket question. Dolphinaris has large life jackets available for most sizes.

We just booked the dolphin swim and ride. Do you know how much it costs to buy pictures and DVD like one of two pictures, since they're not included?

At Dolphinaris the best deal was the 8 pictures since we wanted the DVD. I remember 2 with the DVD was about $70. We didn't note the pictures alone prices. The DVD was $55 alone. I remember reading on a previous thread that one picture was $25 at one of the dolphin encounters. Sorry I can't help more.

Well, for one, I don't want to hurt the dolphins. So that was one reason my weight was a concern. The other was the life vests. Much like Jos, there is no way I'd fit in a mens XXL life vest.

I looked into the dolphin trainer one as well, and I'd LOVE to do that. Money is kind of an issue though. But...maybe...

The dolphin trainer excursion is not available through the Carnival website, so far as I can see, but I can book it through the Dolphinaris website. This would mean I'd have to get myself over to Dolphinaris wouldn't it?

Well, for one, I don't want to hurt the dolphins. So that was one reason my weight was a concern. The other was the life vests. Much like Jos, there is no way I'd fit in a mens XXL life vest.

I looked into the dolphin trainer one as well, and I'd LOVE to do that. Money is kind of an issue though. But...maybe...

The dolphin trainer excursion is not available through the Carnival website, so far as I can see, but I can book it through the Dolphinaris website. This would mean I'd have to get myself over to Dolphinaris wouldn't it?

On our dolphin trainer excursion we only had 7 people from the ship and dolphinaris added one that just walked in that morning. It is very close to the ship. We could see it from our aft stateroom. Dolphinaris met us at the end of the pier. Maybe you could work something out with them otherwise I doubt a taxi would cost much.

As far as the life vest go: They are designed that they can expand to very large as needed. Here are some of the pictures we bought. You can see the vest in them.

IMG_0001.jpg.27fd893c34a6a001d53ef5fa634dc38d.jpg

IMG_0005.jpg.9cba1ccef1745add6c250c426f2843eb.jpg

IMG_0006.jpg.ea52260485518ad837b34590523bd691.jpg

IMG_0011.jpg.b6b7f2d69718ace1fa3027420179bfce.jpg

IMG_0010.jpg.a68865949d87a5abcf49f504262f337f.jpg

Jos and Ali cat...I also wear an XXL life vest when I jet ski because I like to have plenty of room...however, when I went to Chanaknaab Park and did the dolphin royal swim, they just hand you a life jacket, doesn't matter what the size. I asked for an extra large and was handed a medium. I said no way. I cannot stand things to be tight around me or feel that I'm "closed in". I just knew I was going to have a panic attack with that tight vest, BUT they don't care if it fits as long as you have it on and it's snapped shut. Oh, it was snapped shut, the sides were way far apart, but it was snapped. As long as it's on, it'll hold you up. What I'm trying to say is...don't worry about it. You'll be fine. It's a once in a lifetime adventure. Now about the pictures and video. They turned out great, but just a hint....do NOT pay the price they are asking. You can talk down the price. Just keep "haggling" with them. I did and saved a little money. Have fun.

Jos and Ali cat...I also wear an XXL life vest when I jet ski because I like to have plenty of room...however, when I went to Chanaknaab Park and did the dolphin royal swim, they just hand you a life jacket, doesn't matter what the size. I asked for an extra large and was handed a medium. I said no way. I cannot stand things to be tight around me or feel that I'm "closed in". I just knew I was going to have a panic attack with that tight vest, BUT they don't care if it fits as long as you have it on and it's snapped shut. Oh, it was snapped shut, the sides were way far apart, but it was snapped. As long as it's on, it'll hold you up. What I'm trying to say is...don't worry about it. You'll be fine. It's a once in a lifetime adventure. Now about the pictures and video. They turned out great, but just a hint....do NOT pay the price they are asking. You can talk down the price. Just keep "haggling" with them. I did and saved a little money. Have fun.

Well see personal, I can't speak for Ali, but I am doubting that an XXL will fit.

Well see personal, I can't speak for Ali, but I am doubting that an XXL will fit.

When we were there they just had a few size vest and all were very adjustable. They go over the front and back of the upper body and have straps that can be expanded on the sides.

Bonnie...

If you see this, can you answer one thing for me? How long were you at Dolphinaris for the trainer excursion? I know it says 3.5 hours on the website, but I've heard different times (up to about 5 hours). This is going to make a difference in which one I choose.

Bonnie...

If you see this, can you answer one thing for me? How long were you at Dolphinaris for the trainer excursion? I know it says 3.5 hours on the website, but I've heard different times (up to about 5 hours). This is going to make a difference in which one I choose.

Hi,

Dolphinaris is a short taxi ride from the huge shopping area at the end of the pier. Our tour guide met us at the pier. We arrived at Dolphinaris at about 11:00 am and left at about 4:00pm. That included lunch and picture shopping. The rest and most of the time was actually with the dolphins, a short behind the scenes and educational time. It was very interesting. They answered lots of questions. I came away feeling that I knew much more about a dolphin. Can't tell you exactly how much was in the water but none of us felt shorted.

Ah. Okay. Thanks for answering so fast. I was curious because according to the Carnival website, we leave Cozumel at 4pm. And if this takes about 5 hours with lunch and picture shopping, and doesn't start until 10:15, that's cutting it a little close and won't give me time to get some souveniers I've been asked to get.

Just for those who are still wondering I am a full figured gal myself. I was placed in a medium vest and I told the guy no way. Guess what way.... I am a DD on top of being a bigger gal and he made it fit. Another woman and I were joking that he was our new hero!! There was a couple there who were well over 300# and I think he may have been in the 350 range and they did the dolphin swim too. They were in a different group but they had life jackets for them at Dolphinaris. I do not think that any of you have to worry too much:)

Ah. Okay. Thanks for answering so fast. I was curious because according to the Carnival website, we leave Cozumel at 4pm. And if this takes about 5 hours with lunch and picture shopping, and doesn't start until 10:15, that's cutting it a little close and won't give me time to get some souveniers I've been asked to get.

We had very little time for shopping. Our ship left at 5:00.

• 1 month later...

I know I'm dredging up an old topic here but I wanted to post this so that there is a firm answer, so far as Dolphinaris is concerned anyway.

The life vest was no issue. At all. Whatsoever. I'm a BIG girl, I wear a womens 24-26 depending on the cut and whatever. I had to tighten the straps to get it to fit right.

So there ya go. I doubt Dolphin Discovery would be much different.

For those worried about what the dolphins can handle, if you do the Royal Swim at Chankanaab, you get two dolphins, so each only has to work half as much. You will do a dosal fin tow (grab on to the fins on their backs with each hand) and a foot push (one foot on each dolphin's head). I'm sure that even with one dolphin you'd be fine (I can't imagine they'd put a dolphin in danger, so if there was an issue I'm sure they'd post a weight limit) but the two dolphin thing might make you feel better.

Archived