Car rental

Greedy

We will be in Grand Cayman on Dec 15.:D Considering renting a car, spending some time at seven mile beach and then from there wherever we end up, maybe Pedro Castle or Rum Point or who knows.:confused:

This leads me to two questions:

1) Is this even advisable or would we be better off just taking a taxi to get around?

and

2) Is there a certain rental car company that someone would recommend or think we should avoid.

You might have difficulty renting a car this close to December. Many of the rental fleet cars were totaled by Ivan, so they are in short supply.

Does this sound like fun to you: driving on the left hand side of the road in a car that probably has the steering wheel on the right hand side.

If you really want the freedom of have a car allows, then go for it, and make your reservation as soon as possible, otherwise you won't have to make a choice, it will be a taxi for your adventures.

Rental cars are in short supply, but I have been in contact with a couple of people down there who say they have shipped some new ones in. I would move quickly, but don't get your hopes up on actually getting one. Locals are using them as are a lot of the people who have come in to help with the hurricane recovery.

Driving there is on the left, but it does not take long to adjust ... left drive cars are quite common ... especially since a lot of Americans go there and rent them. If you are able to get one I would not be concerned about getting around.

You could take a taxi, but if I can make a suggestion. The 'bus'/van service is up and running. This is the Cayman's public transportation system. They just use small vans instead of actual busses. If you go to http://www.caymanislands.ky then click on vacation essentials then transportation you will find information on this.

Even if you get a car I don't know if you will have time to do everything you may want. Rum Point is about a 40-45 minute drive from Georgetown ... maybe longer with the debris. Good public sections of SMB are about 10 minutes or so away. Which would make for an hour or so of driving each way if you tried to do both.

Hope that this helps!

Archived