Gas Prices in Hawaii

teamfour

Yes, it is important to keep gas prices in mind.

I think the average is more like 2.30 though...unless youre talking about the price of gas through the rental agency which does a mark-up.

Around here, I have seen 2.26-2.33 lately. Maui is the most expensive island though. And they seem to be rising daily.

Expensive yes, but still a bargain from the Canadian point of view. Where I live right now it runs about $3.81 a gallon. Take into consideration the currency exchange and the smaller American gallon, and it still only comes to $3.35 Can per Imperial gallon in Hawaii. So no price shock for us next February. :D

$2.60?? Maybe on Maui ...
$2.60 on Maui?!? Where is that Spleen? If anyone on Maui would sell regular for only $2.60 the line would stretch halfway to Hana.

The regular unleaded prices in Kahului this morning ranged from a a low of $2.699 to $2.7599. Figure even higher in Hana or on Moloka`i and Lana`i.

I never REALLY got a satisfactory explanation as to why gas prices on Maui were so completely out-of-whack compared to the other islands. :) I was just taking a stab at current prices, bobnsandi. Where on Maui is the $2.699? We used to like the Tesoro in Kahului as being fairly reasonable but when we drove past there recently, they've certainly raised their prices ...

Spleen

I never REALLY got a satisfactory explanation as to why gas prices on Maui were so completely out-of-whack compared to the other islands. :) I was just taking a stab at current prices
Nor has anyone else. It's less expensive on the Big Island, and they must barge it further. True, our fiscally irresponsible county council enacted a 5¢/gallon tax a few years back, but that only accounts for a nickel of the difference. If you ever figure out why we're so expensive, let us (all of Maui) know.

Where on Maui is the $2.699? We used to like the Tesoro in Kahului as being fairly reasonable but when we drove past there recently, they've certainly raised their prices ...
The Tesoro across the street from Krispy Kreme was $2.699 this A.M., as were a few others on Ka`ahumanu. The Shell on Dairy Road was $2.739, and the Shell in Wailuku was $2.759. We buy through Hawai`i Fuel Network, and our price was $2.579 on our last billing.

Luckily, I only have to drive three miles to work, but Bob drives about 35 miles each day. We swapped vehicles, he has my Explorer & I'm driving the ¾-ton pickup. Still and all, it sure beats scraping windshields :rolleyes:

I have friends that use Hawaii Fuel Network as well - but you need a GE tax license to purchase from there, correct?

I figure even your Explorer can't have all that great fuel economy. Maybe time to look at a Prius ... :)

Spleen

I have friends that use Hawaii Fuel Network as well - but you need a GE tax license to purchase from there, correct?
No GET permit needed. We get charged for all applicable taxes (and they're itemized so you can see just how much is ripped off by the county, state, and feds...) HFN is open to individuals, but they don't advertise the fact as they really cater to commercial accounts.

I figure even your Explorer can't have all that great fuel economy. Maybe time to look at a Prius ... :)
Nooo, not at all practical. Our Explorer is a '92, fully paid for, and is very reliable. We figured it out, that it would take us about 25 years to break even based on the MPG differential alone (not to mention that those hybrids really don't get the great mileage advertised.) Then, has anyone considered what it'll cost to replace (and dispose of) all those batteries in five years or so? To be honest, even at Maui's prices, gasoline isn't a major household budget item (but cruising is!!! :D )

• 2 months later...
bobnsandi

How long is the drive from Lahina to Kihei taking in traffic these days? I can only imagine. We didn't go back and forth too much last time because of this.

Sorry, can't be much help with the Lahaina portion, can't recall the last time we've made that drive... But, Bob works in Kihei and we live near Wailuku, and the drive takes him about 30 minutes. Since Pi`ilani Highway was widened to four lanes a while back, the traffic flow in Kihei is much better.

Archived