Weather in September

Lourdes in Miami

We would like to sail the first week in September out of Whittier or Vancouver. However, we are worried since we read that September is the start of the rainy season in Alaska. We are traveling from the opposite side of the country and do not want it to be dreary and raining our entire trip. Unfortunately, DH cannot take vacation earlier in the summer.

Thanks,

This will be my 3rd trip to Alaska in the last 3 years with the first 2 trips going in Sept. Our 2007 trip the weather was just AWSOME but very COLD!!! with only 1 day of rain in Skagway. Last year the weather was WET and COLD for most of the trip. But we still had a great time. Just make sure you have a rain coat and weather proof shoes,also layer, layer, layer. Because you know us FL girls don't do COLD weather...:)

In general, spring is our dry season, summer our warm season and fall our most wet season. I've seen stunning weather in September, but I wouldn't call it the norm. By the time August and September come along we also have pretty much lost our extra long days. Daylight will be similar to what you have at home.

The benefits of going in September, aside from price, are: possible northern lights viewing, fall colors, clearance sales at shops, fewer tourists in port with you.

If it's the only time you can come, I say come on up... Alaska's fun in any season. If you think it's a once-in-a-lifetime trip however, I'd wait a year and try next summer instead.

We would like to sail the first week in September out of Whittier or Vancouver. However, we are worried since we read that September is the start of the rainy season in Alaska. We are traveling from the opposite side of the country and do not want it to be dreary and raining our entire trip. Unfortunately, DH cannot take vacation earlier in the summer.

Thanks,

If this is your priority, then don't go in Sept.. It has the worse potential for weather of the entire season.

Archived