State Department Cozemel Warnings

MachFan

I've been to Cozumel numerous times and always felt safe. However, one unfortunate time something did happen. Six years ago my husband and I decided to go to Carlos and Charlies after our diving excursion. He wanted to eat so as soon as we entered up stairs (the old place) he sat down, and I went to the dance floor. The bartender/waiter did not see us enter together and assumed I was alone I guess. I found a girl I had met from the ship and began to dance with her. I ordered a margarita and drank it. It was around 3pm. I don't remember anything else until the next day at 12 noon. Luckily my husband was there, and he managed to get me back to the ship. Had he not been with me, who knows, I could have been in the same situation as Natalie Holloway. So, always be aware of your surroundings, travel with a friend and give yourself enough time to get back to the ship. I still love Cozumel and can't wait til we're there in 2 weeks!

Last June while vacationing in Nuevo Valarta (north of PV) there were border guards between each province all with M16's on their shoulders. I was at the Grand Mayan and felt very safe on the resort. We took the local bus to PV and to Bucerias. Seeing the army with guns made me feel protected, but not necessarily "safe".

I've never seen this while in Cozumel, but all of my vacations there have been by cruise ship. I feel much safer in Cozumel and GC than Belize or Jamaica! I agree that keeping to the beaten path is best!

Jacquelyn :D

I was in Cozumel last week (3/26) and went to Mr. Sanchos. On our way back in the taxi, we were very surprised to see the military standing by the road with their guns on their shoulders. (Sorry, I don't know one gun from another) They had signs announcing a check point and our taxi driver did not seem surprised at all by this. He was waved straight through and did not have to stop. It made us feel a little uneasy, however, it did not stop us from shopping at the stores by the port.

Archived