State Department Cozemel Warnings

MachFan

The military even patrol the streets at night and work hand in hand with the local and state police units. Its a great place to live and visit.

Okay then ! Military patrols.......now we'll be secure on vacation and have NOTHING , as unfamiliar travelers, to be concerned about !

Thanks !

Okay then ! Military patrols.......now we'll be secure on vacation and have NOTHING , as unfamiliar travelers, to be concerned about !

Thanks !

Actually there is enormous truth to that comment. Use common sense, stay in tourist zones or be accompanied by a professional guide and have a good time. Most tourists don´t come here to go to the dark streets of the barrios and there is nothing there for them.

Where there is a strong authority presence, criminal activity becomes less prevalent.

Cozumel has been effected by the drug trade.

Where hasn't? This is a non-issue for people visiting the island.

Nobody is saying there is zero crime or zero drugs in this part of the country. There is that in every town in every country on the globe. You can find examples of anything - as you can in your city - just watch the local news or read the local newspaper. For some reason if it happens in your hometown, it's just part of the background and happens in some other neighborhood and nobody worries about it. If it happens in Mexico, people think it's a big deal and scary and means you can't go there to visit. There is no difference - it's just part of the background and part of some other neighborhood in 95% of Mexico too, life goes on unaffected, you use common sense like anywhere, and have a safe and fun time. The border region activity is a bad situation of course, but your hometown is closer to this region than Cozumel is.

22.6 million visitors to Mexico last year. 22.6 MILLION.

That's more than every person living in New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, Phoenix, Philadelphia, San Diego, Detroit, San Francisco, Boston, Atlanta and Seattle all COMBINED.

Now think of how many TOURISTS you've heard involved in crimes in Mexico's beach resorts in the past...well...EVER. Add them all up and compare it to the number of crimes you see on the local news in any given night in one of those cities, or your own, let alone COMBINED.

To give you a rough idea - in New York City alone in 2005, there were over 221,000 reported crimes, including over 55,000 violent crimes. In the past several years, I can count the violent crimes against tourists in Mexico's major beach resorts that I've heard about on my fingers.

It is a very safe and fun country to visit, if you use common sense and avoid the border towns. Just don't get caught up in the cable-news hysteria and keep things in perspective. You'll have a great time.

Where hasn't? This is a non-issue for people visiting the island.

Like I said, the point is to just be aware of this, not necessarily to stop traveling. I don't think anyone feels as though it is highly likely that something bad will happen to them.

Yes, there is a degree of caution to be had anywhere you travel. It only makes sense for travellers to educate themselves of their destination and potential problems before going. That's all I am trying to convey.

On a related note, there have been numerous stories of people renting cars in Cozumel, who fell victim to corrupt police. This certainly is an issue for vacationers to be aware of....in order to try and avoid it.

Also, I guess I am just privy to information because of my husband's career with the Feds. He tells me what he can....I can only imagine what he doesn't tell me. All I can do is try to help people by stating what I know. I can not force people to believe me.

We were just there and felt very safe. Actually safer than I feel in some neighborhoods around here. I think the media blows this stuff way out of proportion, and yes the government does issue these warnings but IMO a lot of it is to keep our dollars in the USA. Agree or not, that is my take on it.

I think the media blows this stuff way out of proportion, and yes the government does issue these warnings but IMO a lot of it is to keep our dollars in the USA.

I can assure you that the things you are seeing in the media is only the tip of the iceburg as far as what is happening in Mexico. I know, for a fact, that these reports are not fabricated or embellished.....and it has absolutely nothing to do with keeping $$ in the U.S.

That being said, Cozumel is safe. Yes, there have been drugs washing up on the East side of the island....suggesting some activity. I do agree that anyone going to Mexico should be educated and aware of the cartel problems. But if Cozumel is your destination....go, have fun, and just don't be a touron.

That explains my Mother telling me I was going to be kidnapped when I told her what ports I was going to. Couldnt' figure out where she'd get that idea from. Guess she saw the news story.

I would think as long as you are with an excursion or group and stay in the main areas you'll be as safe there as you are in the same areas here. There are many areas in the US you better not be wandering around alone, common sense.

We went last year and loved it but we did an excursion, didn't just wander the island. Was considering just walking around this year but we'll go ahead and book another excursion just to play it safe.

Are you telling me that great deal I got on the Tijuana to Rosarita to Ciudad Juarez bar hop bus tour may be to good to be true?

I must say, I was a little suspicious when I read in the ad,

"you'll have so much fun we might not let you go home!" :D

I think the point of this thread is just a friendly reminder that we all need to be safe. We may be on vacation....but common sense must always rule :)

I think you have a good point. The topic is ¨State Department Cozumel Warning¨ and of course it is NOT a warning about Cozumel at all.

I live in Cozumel - you folks are perfectly safe if you don´t rent motor scooters.

We were there last Saturday and felt very safe and I am as paranoid as they come. We had a great cab driver, spent a great day on the beach and would go back in a hearbeat It has a different atmosphere than Cancun and even Cabo and PV. So far, my favorite place in Mexico.

The sun, however, proved dangerous to my pale skin! :)

humans are trafficked in from Cuba and held for ransom from their families in the U.S.

This is some kind of dirty secret . . . after numerous searches, I could find nothing about this on the net. Perhaps you would like to elaborate and provide some sources for this claim.

This is some kind of dirty secret . . . after numerous searches, I could find nothing about this on the net. Perhaps you would like to elaborate and provide some sources for this claim.

Here are just a few links to read. These are just some of what popped up on page 1 when I did a Google search.

http://www.cubaheadlines.com/2008/08/20/13002/cancun_under_cubanamerican_and_russian_mafia_control.html

http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=102x2941615

http://embacuba.cubaminrex.cu/Default.aspx?tabid=8479

http://news.ncmonline.com/news/view_article.html?article_id=ef6e328368ba7dc2c96789fea63e8674

No, it is not a dirty secret. I live in Key West and hear stories like this regularly. There have been numerous cases prosecuted in Federal Court down here....consisting of people stealing boats from Florida, taking them to Cuba, and then traffiicking people to Cancun. Last I heard, Mexican authorites were holding about 40 boats stolen from S. Florida.

No, it is not a dirty secret. I live in Key West and hear stories like this regularly. There have been numerous cases prosecuted in Federal Court down here....consisting of people stealing boats from Florida, taking them to Cuba, and then traffiicking people to Cancun. Last I heard, Mexican authorites were holding about 40 boats stolen from S. Florida.

Thank you, Paul. Yes, it is common knowledge down here.

I will give you the benefit of the doubt, because I do not expect people from Pennsylvania to have a whole lot of knowledge about this.

In case you are unaware, Cuban smuggling to South Florida has been a big deal over the past decade. Federal prosecutors have taken a hard line on smuggling in the last couple of years. This, along with stepped up USCG patrols in the Florida Straits, has caused the smugglers to find other routes.

The new route is Western Cuba to Cancun. The Cuban-American Mafia, previously in the drug trade, are now trafficking humans at a cost of $10,000 - $15,000 per head. In most cases, they get paid up front. But when they don't, they hold the people for ransom and put them to work in marijuana grow houses.

As I said earlier in this thread, I know this stuff because my husband is a Federal Agent. This is just what he is able to tell me. He spends alot of time in court over this issue.

Thank you, Aquahound and Cruzaholic41,

That info was an eye-opener!

I had heard of this happening on the overland routes (killing people who had paid a fortune to be smuggled into the states).

But, I never heard of the Cuban-American Mafia and the Cuba connection.

(I suppose my "googling" could be improved)

But, I never heard of the Cuban-American Mafia and the Cuba connection.

You would be even more appalled if you knew the benefits they received once hitting U.S. soil.

But that's getting even more off subject.

This all being said, Cozumel is still relatively safe. Hopefully, it will stay that way.

sad, your not on 3.22 voyager. us spring break kids would of had a good time. haha. good luck on your cruise!!!

i saw this on the today show last week i believe

scary! they arnt saying dont go .. they are just saying BE CAREFUL ... esp to us young spring breakers and the ones who tend to get so wasted they do stupid things...

We have visited Cozumel many times and have never had a problem or seen anything out of the ordinary. We feel as safe there as we do in the US, maybe more safe than some US cities I've been to. After all it is an island almost totally dependent on cruise ship business. They have more ships in port at one time than any other port I've been too. Therefore, they try to keep it as safe as possible. Just need to use common sense as we should anywhere we go.

So with all this being noted, would it be a good idea to take a cruise ship excursion to the Tulum ruins, or do you think it would be best to stay around in the port area? This is our first cruise, so we have no clue what to expect in any of the ports. I just want to make sure driving to another location (even with a sponsored tour) is still safe.

So with all this being noted, would it be a good idea to take a cruise ship excursion to the Tulum ruins, or do you think it would be best to stay around in the port area? This is our first cruise, so we have no clue what to expect in any of the ports. I just want to make sure driving to another location (even with a sponsored tour) is still safe.

Going to Tulum from Cozumel you take a ferry then a bus. IMHO - I would not change my plans.

Just don't do anything stupid.. like a 5'2" blonde college student sloppy drunk going out at night with a couple of locals.

I think if you're a regular responsible tourist staying in the tourist are you'll be fine.

Archived