Road to Hana - Always early??

msmusic

We will be on the PoA, arriving Maui May 31 at 8:00 in the morning and departing 6:00pm the next day. Since we won't be able to get an early start on the Road to Hana on the first day, I was wondering if anyone started out quite a bit later (like noon)? Would the traffic be terrible at that time due to the traffic coming from the other direction and stopping at the one lane bridges? We don't plan to go the whole way to Hana as we are expecting some car sickness (hoping the seabands will help), just a "leisurely" drive part way to visit and swim in some waterfalls.

We could do it the next day, but several of our group are planning on golfing that day. We could rearrange plans a bit if needed.

Thanks for any advice.

We are sailing on the POA on 4/11/09. We have done alot of research on The Road to Hana, since this is one of the places we want to visit in Maui. Everything we have read states that you need to start your drive around 8am. By midmorning there is bumper to bumper traffic.

If it is not raining,we are planning on getting up really early. It is recommended not taking this trip if it is raining heavily, since the road can be dangerous when wet and it is easy to get stuck in the muddy shoulders and the pull-offs.

Travelteach,

We will be on the same cruise. What day are you going to do the Road to Hana? We are debating on which day only because tje first day is Easter sunday and we are not sure if everything will be open/available etc.

Depending on how far you want to go on the 'Road' and what you want to do while on the 'Road', the earlier the better. Not so much for the traffic, which CAN be bad at times, but because you sure don't want to be driving it when it gets dark. You have to leave enough time to get off the road before dark, as everyone else has that very same idea. You will not make it all the way to Hana, by leaving at 12 and expect ro get back before dark.

• Administrators
We will be on the PoA, arriving Maui May 31 at 8:00 in the morning and departing 6:00pm the next day. Since we won't be able to get an early start on the Road to Hana on the first day, I was wondering if anyone started out quite a bit later (like noon)? Would the traffic be terrible at that time due to the traffic coming from the other direction and stopping at the one lane bridges? We don't plan to go the whole way to Hana as we are expecting some car sickness (hoping the seabands will help), just a "leisurely" drive part way to visit and swim in some waterfalls.

We could do it the next day, but several of our group are planning on golfing that day. We could rearrange plans a bit if needed.

Thanks for any advice.

With all respect, if you are not planning on going at least to Hana, and ideally beyond (Ohe'o Gulch), I'm not sure this is a great way to spend your day. Have you read much about driving the road, where the waterfalls are, what pull off/parking room is like and so on? There are sources out there -- the Revealed books -- and http://www.alternative-hawaii.com/drives/maui/rthp1.htm, and http://www.alternative-hawaii.com/drives/maui/rthp2.htm, but to be honest if we couldn't have gone to at least the Keanae Peninsula (about 32 miles in) the road would have been a disappointment to us. It was from that point onward that we really realized why people drive the Road to Hana, and Hana itself and the overlooks afterwards were the real breathtakers, to us. On the way back, after we left Keanae, pretty much everyone on our small tour bus dozed.

Can you tell I'm not a big advocate of "halfway to Hana?" :) I think there are other great choices on Maui -- Iao Needle, water activities, Lanai excursions, etc.

We decided to do the "road" on Sunday. Someone on the CC board suggested doing the trip on Easter Sunday since it may not be that crowded.

We rented a car through Thrifty for the day. I just confirmed that they will be open on Easter. So we are all set with a mid-sized car for $31. for the day.

I see you are from NJ, we are from Brooklyn. We leave on 4/4 from Newark on Alaska Air. We cannot wait!

Thanks for the replies. I have done a lot of research as well, so I have read the strong recommendations to start early. I have one daughter who is quite susceptible to motion sickness. So we are concerned about the cruise and don't want her to suffer more on a road trip so we thought to just try part of it. Believe me, if I were on my own, I would be going to Hana and beyond. Perhaps we will just rework this day. We will definitely be planning to drive about the island a bit as my daughters have requested not to spend time on other boats when we are in port and I know that there are plenty of things to do and see in Maui.

Hello The 4of us

We are also from NJ and will be on the same cruise. we are planning on doing the road to Hana on Sunday. If I do it on monday , I will not enjoy it because the whole time I will be thinking that something might happen and I will miss the ship,so I"ll play it safe and do it on Sunday

Hi, We are also from NJ and on the same cruise (4-11).* We are planning on doing the Road to Hana on Sunday. My son has had car sickness in the past, but sometimes is fine. We'll play it by ear and if it does not work out we can change plans, visit a beach for snorkeling, visit Lahaina, or try a whale watch excursion (if we can get one without prior reservations).* Whatever we do, it will be fun and great to be in Hawaii!

I am doing some research for our trip for the Road to Hana. I was looking for places to get lunch for our adventure. I found some recommendations for two places: Cafe Mambo in Paia on Baldwin Street for breakfast and a boxed lunch. They do not open until 8am. Another place is CJ's.

They open at 7am. Here is the site with their lunch menu. The

http://www.cjsmaui.com/Hana-Box-Lunch.htm

Both places are open on Easter Sunday.

• 1 year later...

CJ's menu looked great, but if you are on PoA, it probably won't work for you. It's closer to Lahaina and not on the Road to Hana.

I think we're going to try Cafe Mambo. Our cruise leaves Sunday so I'll try to come back on here and let you know how they are.

Archived