Percussion Instruments in Jamaica

wrahn2002

My grand-daughter, who is a teenager, plays in the percussion section of her high school band and is interested in learning about percussion instruments from Jamaica. We will be on a cruise at the end of May stopping at Ocho Rios. Does anyone have any experience with instruments in Jamaica? Where to buy or where to hear them played?

Thanks for your help,

Wes

I'm not sure what you are asking about? If you mean the steel drum bands, that is more of a Trinidad thing. Although, we have heard a few bands in the tourist areas. Reggae music is the most popular here. The percussion instruments that we have in our school and church bands are the same as you would find in the USA. If you could be more specific, I could try to be more helpful.

My grand-daughter, who is a teenager, plays in the percussion section of her high school band and is interested in learning about percussion instruments from Jamaica. We will be on a cruise at the end of May stopping at Ocho Rios. Does anyone have any experience with instruments in Jamaica? Where to buy or where to hear them played?

Thanks for your help,

Wes

I was in charge of a Youth Orchestra for many years. I know what you're looking for and will look around when I'm there in April. I'll let you know what I find. I'll try to take some pics too.

clcizme and dttampa

Thanks for the reply. When we were in Trinidad I bought some steel drum CDs and will give them to my grand-daughter. My grand-daughter's music director is the person who was excited about her going to Jamaica and suggested she investigate the local music and instruments. She is going to talk to him about what he had in his mind.

Once again thanks for the response, that's what's great about the fourms.

Wes

Here's a link to a store in Kingston.

http://www.musicmartjm.com/description/about-music-mart.html

As a drummer myself, I make a point to sit in whenever I can with local musicians on various islands. So far I have jammed in the Bahamas, St. Thomas, Barbados, Dominica, Cozumel, plus I sit in with the pool side bands on the ship. Playing with the locals has broadened my exposure to a variety of percussion styles.

The instruments that I have seen on most islands are more or less "toys". They aren't what a pro like your daughter would want to use. I would stick with a reputable music store back home or online stores like www.musiciansfriend.com.

I use a djembe, which is an African hand drum that is tunable and easy to transport. I added a clamp and microphone so I can plug in to any amplified band. It gives me a thrill to just walk up to the band and say, Can I sit in? I never get turned down.

One thing I would like to do someday is be in the on-board talent show that a lot of ships have. Maybe your daughter could sign up if a talent show is offered.

Archived