EL Morro or San Cristobal??

brownies95

If you dock in Old San Juan, which most ships do, then both forts are in walking distance. El Morro is slightly farther away. Both are uphill about a 15 minute walk from the cruise piers and 10 minutes or so from each other.

You can buy a ticket to gives you entry to both at either fort and visiting both is easily done, provided you have enough time. If your ship get in later in the day then neither may be open. Check out the National Parks web pages for details click here.

I like San Cristobal for its wonderful views of the city and cruise ships. It is the bigger fort and would also be my choice with very young children. On the other hand El Morro has a great field between it and the city with many activities including kite flying. The fort itself has some great views but it also has some very steep stairs and one would need to watch children carefully - not to say that one doesn't need to watch children carefully at San Cristobal.

We've done extensive write-ups on both El Morro and San Cristobal for our vacation guide. Personally, I prefer El Morro while my wife prefers San Cristobal. As previously mentioned, you can buy a ticket that includes both for about $5/person.

Check our vacation guide for more info on El Morro and San Cristobal.

About how long does it take to tour each fort? We will be in San Juan from 7-3:30 but we want to make sure we leave enough time to explore Old San Juan.Thanks,Tim:cool:

It takes about 1 hr to tour a fort.

There are some small tours given by the guides, so that would take a little longer.

The forts are about 20mins apart if you walk. Do both and you decide your favorite. To me, EL Morro is large, and has many levels, but empty. Some neat stairways, the artillery piece in the wall, nice views.

The part of San Cristobal that is open, is smaller, they have a nicer educational information area, they recreated the living quarters, and they have the carvings/drawings from the soldiers.

From the ship, I would start at San Cristobal then walk to EL Morro ( or take the trolley). From El Morro,plan your trip back through OSJ. Get a walking tour (I have one from my trips into town: http://www.puertoricodaytrips.com/old-san-juan-walking-tour-1/

Read all 3 parts, pick out what you want to see and then walk around and explore!

Archived