Go with Gus-lunch included?

boilermaker330

Is lunch included in the Go With Gus Humanitarian Tour price? If not, how much should we budget for a family of five? What are the lunch choices? Finally, what type of clothing is most appropriate? Is a bathing suit needed for any reason? Sandals OK? Thanks so much for any information you can provide!

Lunch was included when we went on the Humanitarian tour last month. It was a delicious lunch, too, served at Gus' restaurant. We just wore shorts and shirts and walking shoes. I was unsure how much walking would be involved, but there wasn't very much. Comfortable sandals would have been fine. I took a small bag with a swimsuit in it since we stopped at a place with hot springs. I decided not to get in, but if you think you might want to do that, a swimsuit would be needed.

You are really in for a treat. My husband and I agreed (for once :D) that Gus' tour was the highlight of our trip. We would like to go back to Guatemala and spend more time and take some more of his tours.

Lunch was included when we went on the Humanitarian tour last month. It was a delicious lunch, too, served at Gus' restaurant. We just wore shorts and shirts and walking shoes. I was unsure how much walking would be involved, but there wasn't very much. Comfortable sandals would have been fine. I took a small bag with a swimsuit in it since we stopped at a place with hot springs. I decided not to get in, but if you think you might want to do that, a swimsuit would be needed.

You are really in for a treat. My husband and I agreed (for once :D) that Gus' tour was the highlight of our trip. We would like to go back to Guatemala and spend more time and take some more of his tours.

Thanks so much for the reply. That is a big help. I have heard so many great things about this tour. We are really looking forward to it!

I took a small bag with a swimsuit in it since we stopped at a place with hot springs. I decided not to get in, but if you think you might want to do that, a swimsuit would be needed.

So you brought your bathing suit. I assume there's a place to change into it then? I was wondering this ... should we wear our suits or bring them?

So you brought your bathing suit. I assume there's a place to change into it then? I was wondering this ... should we wear our suits or bring them?

There is a toilet there at the hot springs but it would be difficult to change there. Also there isn't a lot of time...better just to wear your suit. You could change into something else after the hot springs once you get to gus's restaurant if you wanted.

Lunch was included, very delicious, along with cokes, wine and beer. Tortillas are served earlier in the day, hot and fresh with queso and fresh hot salsa. Gus was very hospitable, and his place is very nice...you will enjoy it...he serves people and engages everyone. There is also a great little show at his place with Garifuna dancers/musicians that is not to be missed! A real treat!

Lunch was included, very delicious, along with cokes, wine and beer. Tortillas are served earlier in the day, hot and fresh with queso and fresh hot salsa. Gus was very hospitable, and his place is very nice...you will enjoy it...he serves people and engages everyone. There is also a great little show at his place with Garifuna dancers/musicians that is not to be missed! A real treat!

Tuscansun--thanks for the reply. I hadn't heard about the dancers/musicians. Just one more thing to look forward to!

• 2 weeks later...

We just returned from our cruise and did the Humanitarian Go with Gus tour on Thursday March 19. The lunch provided was excellent! It started with a trio of tostadas, one with black beans, one with hot salsa, and one with guacamole. Then we were served a delicious portion of cerviche (fish marinated in lime with fresh vegetables) served with crackers. And then chicken in broth with rice. And a choice of beverage that included soda or beer. And finally we were given a rum based liqueur for dessert! Awesome!:D

Earlier in the tour we stopped and were each given a homemade tortilla that you could top with butter, salt, and/or hot sauce. That was amazing as well!!

Gus himself was in Miami this day, but our guide Thomas was absolutely wonderful! He was born and raised right in the town of Livingston and has such pride in his village that it was just great spending time with him!

Archived