Spring Break - changes to NCL policy for parental alchohol consent

AmazingRace

Amen, amen, amen. I'm only going to post once here as I really don't want to get involved in a debate with anyone. Everyone has their opinion and are entitled to that opinion. So, this is a one and only post from me.

My thoughts are that the strict alcohol policies have CREATED this monster. My daughters also were allowed to have a glass of wine or even a mixed drink when they were older teens and in our company. Alcohol was never a big mystery to them or a big no no..something that they were denied. When they went off to college, they thought it was ridiculous how their peers behaved...basically going wild once no parental supervision was there.

I think that the reason that we have the problems that we do in the US is because of the strict restrictions on those under 21 being completely denied alcohol. And that's why these kids go nuts and over indulge when no one is around to stop them.

I'm not saying that a 16 year old should be allowed to guzzle beer, but there is a happy medium.

CG

same with our kids and grandkids. I am not going to claim they didn't do their share of drinking in college, they did, but I do not think it was ever a problem..At least they survived and so did we..

I was allowed to drink at home by the time i was about 17 and my dad made a point of letting me know what was and was not acceptable.

We all survived.

nita

Great input by everyone. I love these boards - so much information!

My original point was that I found it curious that NCL was the only remaining major cruise line that allowed 18 year olds to drink, except for the ships sailing in Europe. I don't think Carnival EVER allowed it, which is even more interesting to me. Maybe the 18-21 year olds that sail NCL are just more civilized than those that go on other lines - how's that??

Maybe NCL nas the lower age requirement because that is all the more people ringing up high bar tabs.

I am going LA to Vancouver April 30(3 nights). Do you think there will much of a Spring Break crowd then. (please say no). I am not that patient with rudeness and stupidity.

I don't think you'll have much of a Spring Break Crowd...they might not want to do that kind of repo.

Meet another party pooper! I would never sign a waiver for my 20 year old daughter to drink even though she is a junior in college. I see no reason for her to drink and would not encourage it. What she does behind my back is another story!

Specially if her sail & sign is under your credit card.....drinks could add up to a mighty bill! :eek:

I am going LA to Vancouver April 30(3 nights). Do you think there will much of a Spring Break crowd then. (please say no). I am not that patient with rudeness and stupidity.

Definitely no Spring Break crowd at all. Many colleges start final exams at the end of April/beginning of May. Plus, a Pacific coastal cruise isn't a destination conducive to "Spring Break" or huge college parties.

first off, no, there will be no spring breakers that late and second, as much as we all know some kids can be pains in the A##, this can be seen in all age groups. I do agree, I prefer not to cruise when the ships are overflowing with kids, but I have seen adults act worse than any kids.

Nita

You are right, some adults can be pretty rude and crude. Thanks for that amazing spring break calendar. I never knew that there were lists like that out. I am sure it will be fine. My husband can't go with me of the repo cruise(pacific coastal) so i am bringing my mom(she's in her late 70's) along with me. I wanted it to be nice and relaxing for her on her first cruise,

I've thought for a long time that the US has this whole issue backwards. I think one should learn to drink BEFORE one learns to drive. If an 18 year old is mature enough to handle a gun and go to war, one would think she/he would be mature enough to have an adult beverage.

This past New Year's Eve I was in a major hotel in Springfield, MA and there was a large, rowdy, obnoxious group celebrating. They proceded to yell and scream from their atrium balconies every hour on the hour from midnight to 4:00am. I'd bet a whole lot of money that very few if any were under 30 years old.

I've thought for a long time that the US has this whole issue backwards. I think one should learn to drink BEFORE one learns to drive. If an 18 year old is mature enough to handle a gun and go to war, one would think she/he would be mature enough to have an adult beverage.

This past New Year's Eve I was in a major hotel in Springfield, MA and there was a large, rowdy, obnoxious group celebrating. They proceded to yell and scream from their atrium balconies every hour on the hour from midnight to 4:00am. I'd bet a whole lot of money that very few if any were under 30 years old.

Sorry- I'm a little ignorant of US law, but I'm learning from these pages. The reason that UK people can legally drink at 18 is that they are legally adults at 18, and so cannot have age restrictions for anything. This obviously means that binge drinking can begin at 18, and does! Drinking age has always been 18 even when adult age was 21-the difference was no-one could afford it back then. I think most ships in Europe stick to 18.

Archived