Going Through Customs in Victoria

I'll be taking an Alaskan cruise on the Infinity in August and the ship will stop for about 8 hours in Victoria. Do passengers go through Canadian customs? Some of our party are from Asia and I would like to know if they need a Canadian visa if the only time they will in Canada is for this cruise stop.

I am sorry I can't answer the visa question but the customs process is just one of simply walking by and officer with a DL or a Paspport. They scarcely look at them. I suspect the the ships passenger list is provided to them some days in advance and it is prescreened by them. Here is a link that may help you re the visa question:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/visas.asp

I'll be taking an Alaskan cruise on the Infinity in August and the ship will stop for about 8 hours in Victoria. Do passengers go through Canadian customs? Some of our party are from Asia and I would like to know if they need a Canadian visa if the only time they will in Canada is for this cruise stop.

As long as they have proper docs to board the ship they should be fine in Victoria.

Since you originally asked about those in your party who are from Asia would need a visa to enter Canada, the best answer to your question would come from the Canadian Consulate. "From Asia" is very ambiguous and different entry requirements apply to different nationalities.

I suggest you contact the Consulate office in Seattle to get a correct answer to your question.

Incidentally, your cruise line might help as they would have to be sure your friends have proper documentation before they would be allowed to board in Seattle.

Archived